• '17 '16

Do you people still play with Tank A3 D3 M2 Cost 5 IPCs?
    Or did you adjust the game to 2nd edition Tank A3 D3 M2, rising the cost at 6 IPCs?

Does this change makes a better balance game for Allies?

• That is an interesting modification.  Who does that hurt/help the most?

You imply that it would help the allies, perhaps it might, but I believe Russia’s tank purchases are on a comparable level to Germany’s tanks purchases (from percentage of total output perspective).

Another common strategy is to have USA create a tank corp through north Africa, so their tank purchases can be high in volume as well.

Our personal preference to balance the game is to have a bid (pre-game start placed, limited to one unit per territory).  This also gives different openings at times for more varied game play.

• '16 '15 '10

Tanks are (along with inf and figs) probably too optimal in 41, which is likely why the price was raised to $6.  At 6$, tanks are no longer necessarily a better value than other ground units.

If you play with $6 tanks then surely that will help Allies.  However, if you also added 4$ mechs into the mix, then that would probably swing the pendulum back in the Axis’ favor.

• '17 '16

@Der:

We play a hybrid of AA1942 and AA50th on a custom map, so I can’t speak for any other versions. I’d just say try it out!

And do you use a 5 IPCs Tank, Der Kuenstler?

• @Baron:

@Der:

We play a hybrid of AA1942 and AA50th on a custom map, so I can’t speak for any other versions. I’d just say try it out!

We use 6 IPC 3-3-2 tanks. People were buying loads of tanks and no infantry with 5 IPC tanks, which was very unrealistic.

• '17 '16

@Der:

@Baron:

@Der:

We use 6 IPC 3-3-2 tanks. People were buying loads of tanks and no infantry with 5 IPC tanks, which was very unrealistic.

Thanks for the infos.

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

My experience with AA50 was definitely am armor fest. Basically everyone buys tanks Axis obviously but Allies in equal numbers. At 6 I don’t know that I’d buy them in AA50 over artillery. Not with a nation like Russia or Italy. One thing I will say though, the 5 ipc tank did make the game resolve a bit faster. My 42.2 games tend to last a lot longer than my AA50 games, mainly because of more expensive tanks I think. Since transports are the same, so that’s probably not the reason. AA50 has more money in play, so that could maybe be a reason to think otherwise on the more money=more units=more time logic (though honestly I never really believed that more money slows the game down, might be the opposite even). But tanks at 6 mean more infantry and more deliberate infantry push. I see why the 3/3 tank at 5 is overpowered though, so it’s kind of a tough call. Going back to the classic values would probably be just as hard for me at this point haha

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m