AARHE: Phase 2: Strategic redeployment

• This covers realistic ideas covering the ability to rail units across distances and the possility of aerial interdiction ( e.g. similiar to what was done in d-day)

• does this mean you basically have two non combat moves  1 before and 1 after combat? if not can you explain it better

• download the draft (look atthe botton of Tekkys posts)

• so far we have a couple of things

*Defensive Air Support, your air units may defend in adjacent friendly territor or sea zone instead
    *Defender Retreat
    *Partial Retreat, you may retreat some units while letting other units fight on
    *Double Retreat, attacker decision to retreat does not artifticially prevent you from retreating in your own right

Rail movement:
    Pay 1 IPC to move up to 3 units between any 2 Cities that you own. These cities must be atleast 4 Spaces apart. A unit may only be moved once.

GG

• why the 4 space rule?

can units that were used in combat move?

can air units do this?

what about territories seperated by water?

• I think

Non-Combat Only
    Land Units Only

As for where and how many units…to achieve realism we need to look at historic rail networks and it could get complex.

In OOB USSR had the Trans-Serbian Railway NA. In this because only they had a significant rail network?
    Maybe we can do this is the NAs instead.

• Yes right good point on siberian NA

why the 4 space rule?
    I don’t know why 4 spaces, but now looking at it 3 would be better or maybe even 2… Bad call on my part…

can units that were used in combat move?
    Thanks for catching that tekkyy, it is only non-combat.

can air units do this?
    No!

what about territories seperated by water?
    Can’t travel across water by rail. That is what transports are for.

• “what about territories seperated by water?
    Can’t travel across water by rail. That is what transports are for.”

Well we could assume some measure of strategic transport involving using ships… but this may be too much for this varient.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

You can’t rail units over water. :)  Unless someone had a bridge over the English Channel in WWII I didn’t know about?

How about 1 IPC per unit per 2 spaces of railing?  Has to be spent when you buy units.

• Jen:

this is called Strategic redeployment not rail. The idea is to reorganize your forces and bring them to the front. The concept is all forms of transportation are possible within a 6 month period not only rail. If we abstract the concept of sea movement it would possibly be a decent idea.

Imperious and Jen: Are you willing to destroy the Transport? Sorry I like my liberty ships…

Jen: The reason it is one for one for up to 3 is the purely inexpensive cost it is to transport a unit that long of a distance compared to equipping the same unit for one week of constant combat… This is including Fuel… I figure it is in a 1:3 ratio putting into effect ammunition, weapons, vehicles, etc.

GG

• yeah strategic redeployment not just rail
    it could even represent temporarily giving an infantry division jeeps and APCs to get somewhere

anyway it may have to be limited if it can be applied to units who has combated this turn

I think possibly it is better to apply it to any unit in a territory that has not been captured this turn by your forces, that will be easy to determine…

GG

• yeah territory you held at the beginning of your turn

• And the way you will know that is too look only at where you have national markers to indicate control. They are placed in new territories you have taken only at the end of your turn. That will solve that problem.

• or if you’re afraid of forgetting
    put new control marker upside down (on chart) on capture
    turn it upright at the end of the turn

• Ahh thats even better … good point!

So is there any other Deployment finalizing needed? Shipping? Aircraft?

GG

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m