• Thought we could use a new Gen Dis topic that (probably) won’t last long.

So - this crazy water stuff…what’s up with it?  Discuss.

• An important ingredient in beer.  Americans tend to use too much of it though :-P

Um, I drink it to live?

GG

• Well…IL mentioned he hates bottled water and only goes for tap.  That’s cool.

Personally, I get my own filtered water, which was once tap, and I can tell a big difference.

@ncscswitch:

An important ingredient in beer.  Americans tend to use too much of it though :-P

Not all…and are you talking about beer, or water in beer?

• I was talking too much water in American beer…

American beer is like sex in a canoe…

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

They spent an entire week training soldiers that bottled water was not good for your body.  Something about reverse osmosis and the mineral removal process that created a water that would bond to the minerals in your body and deplete your body of those minerals too quickly.

Dunno.  Just a thought.

Personally, with all the news out there telling people to eat more calcium, and with the definition of “hard” water being water with calcium and minerals in it, I fail to see why I should pay someone to remove the calcium from my water and then pay them for that calcium in pill form.  Isn’t it MUCH cheaper and MUCH more convient to drink the hard water from my tap, getting my water AND my calcium (and iron, and magnesium, and the rest of the minerals a human body needs to function properly)?

16 ounce Bottle of water: $1.00
    50 pills of calcium: $12.99
    Total: $13.99

vs

1000 Gallons of village water: $0.33

Drive to the store: 1 hour, $2.89 for gas (round trip)

vs

Drive to the water faucet: 0 minutes, $0.00 for gas (round trip)

Am I failing to add correctly here?

• Jen, your addition is perfect.

Tap water in the U.S. is for the most part perfectly fine to drink. Fill a bottle from the tap and take it with you if you need water when you’re out. At home drink from the tap. Buying water is an exercise in futility.

If you don’t like the flavor drink it cold and drink it fast.

• Actually, there is one thing you need to do to tap water to make it better for you…

Let it sit for a while before drinking, preferably not in an air tight container.

This will allow the Chlorine to disipate from the water (not all, but a lot of it).  Chlorine has several negative effects on the human body (it is after all a poisonous gas that is fatal to humans); one of those is how it bonds to Calcium as Calcium Chloride.  Chlorine can actually serve to REMOVE Calcium form the body since calsium bonds better with chlorine than with many other minerals (that is why sodium chloride is used to “soften” water, the calcium bonds to the chloride more easilly than the sodium does).

If you really want a good natural source of calcium, every time you eat eggs, leave a tiny amount of shell (crushed) in the eggs, and when you eat meat, gnaw the meat off the bones (giving you a small amount of calcium scraped off by your teeth).

BTW:  one of the reasons Fluoride has to be added to water is to counter the negative impact of Chlorine on dental enamel…  Chlorine, on its own, will soften and discolor teeth.

So…  tap water is fine.  Just keep a pitcher of it in the fridge and let it sit for a while before drinking it.

Final comment:  that reverse osmosis water crap (like Dasani) tastes METALIC to me, like chewing on a piece of alluminum foil.  I’d rather drink the sulfur and iron laden water from the well where I grew up in Pennsylvania than to drink that crap.  Sulfur tastes better than alluminum IMHO.

• What i said was actually That since the early 1980’s when Evian was introduced and Americans at that time still had silly lucid ideas about “all things French are better than American when it comes to style and health” i saw the writing on the wall that would be the fact that those “toothpick” looking women that eat one carrot a day saw Evian as some kind of pedagogy of Superior H2O and they could look all avant garde looking (rather posing) with this stupid bottle as they worked out in gyms, and ate their daily carrot. Eventually the “style” became the social clicke that would propel the 80’s style. Other companies fallow suit and now the following happens:

1. water cost more than gas
    2. the water quality hasn’t improved
    3. nothing was solved except now people don’t drink tap water ( Using united States as an example)

Reality:
    The very reason why 3rd rate nations such as Mexico and France even had ( have) these “water” companies was because they don’t have adequate water purification systems. Brittany is even worse shape. This is the sole reason why Perrier and Evian even exist. The same thing happens in Mexico because the tap is totally impure. However, you don’t see Mexican bottled water in the hands of the carrot eaters because they don’t want to be associated with anything from Mexico. Thus the import of Perrier and Evian out of necessity in France because instant models of French Culture. After more time passed the “myth” of bottled water being the Superior article became the truth of popular culture. Now Pepsi and Coke sell more water than soda. Tap water from America is second to none in the world. The fact that we add floride only helps your teeth. Just look at the teeth of anybody from France or England and youll get the reality of tap vs. bottled water.

http://www.container-recycling.org/mediafold/newsarticles/plastic/2006/2-16-NYT-MustBeSomething.htm

• Tap water is safe to drink - water management has strict guidelines concerning water cleanliness and drinkability.  So, I’m not knocking tap.  However, I can tell a big difference between tap and filtered (e.g. where i fill up, it’s done with reverse osmosis and charcoal filtering) by taste, especially in a house with old piping.  I’m not afraid to drink it, it’s just that it’s too blah for me.  Maybe I’m spoiled  :lol:

Jen - concerning minerals in tap water and what is needed by your body.  I can say that whoever said bottled water is bad for you was misleading their listeners.  It’s not bad - it’s water.  Tap water, with its minerals, can be bad for you.  For example, in Kentucky, where the state sits on tons of limestone, a lot of minerals work their way into the water.  This spells out an increased risk of kidney stones, and I think this is due to the form of calcium.  You could eat chalk, which is a form calcium, but the absorbability of that calcium is horrible compared to other sources.  And the calcium content in water is very minute in relation to your daily needs.  Not to say that there would never be a benefit for having trace minerals in your water, just that it needs to be the right form.

IL - On the basis of taste, Evian kicks taps ass.  But I prefer Gerolsteiner (yes, Germany is in the biz too) if I’m going to shell out money for bottled water.  I don’t see how people drop $2 for 16 oz of molecularly distilled water - which I question its ability.  And if you buy Deer Park - well that’s just tap in a bottle, so why bother?  Anyway, fluoride is just as much a poison as chlorine, and no one has proved that it’s harmless to your health.  In fact, more concern has been raised recently to the detriments of that substance when added to drinking water.

Jermo:

The military only tells soldiers that bottled water that has undergone DISTILLATION or REVERSE OSMOSIS processing is bad for you.  They actually recommend mineral water or spring water (unprocessed waters that have only undergone a simple filtration) as those are “potable water sources” that are equivalent to most American tap waters.

But, by far, the cheapest source of drinkable water is your tap.

• “Evian kicks taps a**”

Evian taste like "grease’ water… IT DOES NOT HAVE A CRISP TASTE

• Evian spelled backwards is Naive.  Think about that for a minute.

• Exactly: look at all those carrot eaters… at this point they are pale and orange and shopping at either Trader joe’s or whole foods  AKA: “trader jews” or “whole poison markets” They will be 40 ish wearing clothes from some 18 year old and driving some benz or range rover. They will be on the phone talking to their friends about the caloric intake of the lastest health bar and having never earned a decent job and married into wealth… they are the true " insolated lives" such a nice plastic life to lead!.. all because it started with bottled water from France. Let that be a lesson in humanity.

• @Jennifer:

Jermo:

The military only tells soldiers that bottled water that has undergone DISTILLATION or REVERSE OSMOSIS processing is bad for you.  They actually recommend mineral water or spring water (unprocessed waters that have only undergone a simple filtration) as those are “potable water sources” that are equivalent to most American tap waters.

But, by far, the cheapest source of drinkable water is your tap.

Ok, gotcha.  I still think it’s misleading for saying distilled/filtered water is bad, because it really isn’t.  There is plenty of evidence that shows some mineral content (in the right form) is good for you, and perhaps preferred, but the lack of it is not a detriment.  Otherwise I agree with what they say completely.  And, no doubt you are right in the last point.

@triforce:

Evian spelled backwards is Naive.  Think about that for a minute.

Uh…you have enough time on your hands to point out witty coincidences?

IL - wow, just…wow.  I’m pressed to ask what you do, but I’m almost too afraid to ask…

• Well, here are the most recent financials on H2O…  :-P

http://biz.yahoo.com/cnw/060530/e_h2o_innov_3rdq_resu.html?.v=1

H2O announces the results of its third quarter

QUEBEC, May 30 /CNW Telbec/ - The management of H2O Innovation (2000) inc. (“H2O”) announces the presentation of its third quarter results for the 2005-2006 financial year.

During the financial year, an important sales force was deployed involving a sales increase of $660,817 (27%) compared to the corresponding period last year. Consequently, the cumulated sales rise to $3.07M. For the current quarter, H2O operating results show an Earning Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation and Amortization (EBITDA) of $70,138 compared to $121,878 for the corresponding period last year. For the nine month period, the EBITDA stands at $85,747 compared to $117,715 for the corresponding period last year.

H2O shows a net loss of $98,285 for the current quarter, an important improvement compared to the loss of $311,585 last year at the same quarter. This reduction of net loss is attributed to two main factors: the sales growth and an average gross margin increasing to 40% in 2006 compared to 21% in 2005. The sales growth involve a rise of $175,354 sales expenses. In pratical terms, H2O hired an additional person in Business Development following the acquisition of Biosor Technologies Inc., and added two more employees in Manitoba and Atlantic Provinces. Moreover, administrative expenses show an increase of $105,414 due to important legal fees to settle certain litigations and a provision for bad debts during the first quarter.

With a similar goal and as announced on May 10, 2006, H2O still has the intention to complete a $10M equity financing. The proceeds of the private placement will be applied to the acquisition of MSC, the reimboursment of all long term debts and the improvement of its working capital. Significant savings in interest expenses are anticipated during next financial periods.

About H2O

H2O’s mission is to develop, manufacture and market innovative, environmentally friendly products, intended for production of drinking water and treatment of sewage and industrial process water.

This press release may contain prospective disclosures representing current expectations of H2O and are subject to certain risks and uncertainties. H2O rejects any obligation to revise or update the prospective disclosures contained in this press release.

• @Jermofoot:

@Jennifer:

@triforce:

Uh…you have enough time on your hands to point out witty coincidences?.

No.  It was pointed out to me once.  My point is, why would you by bottled water at such a high price, when you can buy filtered water or even filter your own water for pennys a gallon.

or you can buy filtered water from your local village for pennies on 10,000 gallons.

• @triforce:

@Jermofoot:

@Jennifer:

@triforce:

Uh…you have enough time on your hands to point out witty coincidences?.

No.  It was pointed out to me once.  My point is, why would you by bottled water at such a high price, when you can buy filtered water or even filter your own water for pennys a gallon.

I’d heard it before as well…was just teasing.  :wink:

@Jennifer:

or you can buy filtered water from your local village for pennies on 10,000 gallons.

Now my monthly water bill is around $30…so…

What’s interesting about that is that the city has been trying to condemn the water company so that we can buy it instead of it being bought out by foreign investors.  What are your thoughts on that?

Village of Hoffman Estates, IL

Current Meter Reading (in 1000’s of gallons) 1882
    Previous Meter Reading (in 1000’s of gallons) 1878
    Usage (in 1000’s of gallons) 4

Current Charges:

Line Fee: $4.75
    Water Service: $13.60
    Sewer Service: #3.32

Total: $21.67

$21.67/4000 gallons is: $0.0054175/gallon

Versus:

(128 Ounces (US) = 1 Gallon (US))

Now here in my town bottled water is going for roughly $0.06/ounce (actually you can find it from $0.04 to $0.08 per ounce) so the pice per gallon is 128 * 0.06 which is: $7.68/gallon. or roughly 141,763% the cost of village water!

And that’s not including the time it takes to go to the store and buy it, taxes on the sale of the water at the store (but taxes of the sale to your house), gas used to get to and from the store and wear and tear on your car getting to and from the store!!!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m