• TripleA

I seen london fall on G2. It was funny stuff. All you have to do is buy 2 transports and a carrier round 1. Then move inf/arty on west germany.

Most people buy some kind of defense…. you can still dice someone. You can also attack with Italy bomber to soften it up or bomb the airfield.

• @DizzKneeLand33:

And while explaining, is Japan just sitting around in the South Pacific eating bonbons?  ;)

I have yet to lose a game as Axis after a successful sea lion.  Of course, I would never go for a 55/45 battle, but gimme 90/10 and I’ll hit it… and I just don’t see how you stop Japan.  And, if you are stopping Japan with the U.S., then the Allies are short an ally…

What if US ignores Europe all together and goes 100% after Japan? Also, how much are you winning the battle for England with?

• '20 '16 '15 '14

@theROCmonster:

What if US ignores Europe all together and goes 100% after Japan? Also, how much are you winning the battle for England with?

Well, that may be the difference.  I wouldn’t want to have a toss-up battle in England.  Hence, when I say with 90/10 odds, I would in the middle of the expected results want to have 8+ land units left, and those tanks can be dispatched back to the mainland over several turns while building 3 inf/turn in the UK (until that is no longer necessary).  If the US is going 100% after Japan, then the UK needs very little defense, so this transfer of attacking units back to the mainland will happen much quicker.  At that point, you can even split off part of your German Navy to help Italy quickly dominate Africa.  With all of those extra IPC’s, I don’t see how it is possible for Russia to break through all by her lonesome.

I’m not even sure that 8+ land units is necessary to have remaining in the UK, I’m only using that as a rough guide.

Winning Egypt is a given, and then attacking from both the south (through the Middle East) and the north (in both cases the boats are still useful) is all the Axis has to do.  Japan could go down in this scenario and it doesn’t matter – hence, building a few mainland IC’s and then sending fast units West can be part of the plan when needed, temporarily ignoring the U.S. threat.

Italy simply fills in the gaps where necessary, including holding the Med.  Of course, if the U.S. is going 100% towards Japan, there isn’t much of a threat to the Med.  Even if Russia were to be at 55 income, with Italy (with NO’s) pulling in over 30, I don’t see how the Allies are winning that kind of game…

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I think you misunderstand, the United States uses those forces it normally builds in the Atlantic to liberate England a mere two rounds after it falls.  The only difference is now there are very few Axis war planes left over Europe to threaten the American navy and impede the Russian army.  With a good aggressive game, the Russians could well be on Berlin’s door step before Japan can get rolling into Asia and certainly before Germany recovers from losing 200+ IPC over London!

Japan I assumed was doing that which Japan does…aiming for the Dutch East Indies and India while bogged down in a quagmire in China.

Italy is making a choice, EITHER go Africa OR help Germany try and keep out the Russians.  Generally, I see my opponents go the latter despite England’s inability to put more units into Africa to slow them down.  Just because Italy needs transports to do it and that takes even more time and money while England probably has a good beachhead in Egypt to stop a breakout.

A couple rounds later and England’s not really in THAT bad a spot.  Yea they lost 4 planes, half a dozen infantry and some AA Guns they don’t normally lose, and a couple rounds income, but it’s still far less than Germany lost in the trade.

I’ve only ever see Sea Lion be successful and that’s because it was never done before and the person surrendered instead of fighting through it.  For Sea Lion to succeed and for Germany to still win the game you need Cow like dice.  Or for that matter, Jen like naval engagement dice (yes I routinely get 10 hits with 10 submarines in naval engagements, have you met Emperor Mollari?  No?  He gave up, no one engages me at sea. lol.)

Not saying it cannot be done, just saying, it is not the “I win” move that is feared.  Especially not when Russia gets 3 IPC for all those pretty little grey territories the Germans used to have.  Trade you those 1 IPC ones in the Far East for the 6 IPC ones in Europe any day. lol.  (3 for Poland + 3 IPC NO = 6 IPC - just an example.)

• '14 Customizer

Cmdr Jennifer - Yea, those bovine dice can be crazy.

The problem to speculation, of course, is you can never test FOR a strategy or AGAINST a strategy.  The Strategy has to be organic, if your opponent KNOWS what you are going to do and you are locked in, he can ignore other avenues and claim (when you deviate to win) that you cheated.

That’s a trap I fell in a few times.  Of course, it’s my opinion that if you have to alter yourself in such a way to stop a strategy from succeeding that you allow your opponent to alter her strategy and exploit you in a more conventional manner, then the strategy worked because she still won. :P

For instance, had a situation back in Alpha 2 where America could bloody well forget Europe altogether and run rough-shod over the Japanese like a Panzer II blowing through a wheatfield as its only resistance. Sure the Panzer got stuck in the mud sometimes, but it generally won against the amber waves of grain!  England and Russia could just hold out long enough for the Americans to erase Japan as a threat (notice, I never said Japan itself was taken) and then America, with more income than Germany and Italy combined and more power than can possibly be imagined could get to Euro/Africa fast enough to prevent a VC win by the Germans.  After that, it was a matter of time.

So I started seeing people test that theory and they’d do crazy shizzit like fly the entire Japanese airforce to suicide against Russia and push infantry to islands in the pacific to defend against American transports.  Neither event happens in a routine game, nor would any player do this if they thought America might start dumping more forces in the Atlantic to compensate for drastically reduced resistance in the Pacific.  For instance, one guy thought it was legitamite to suicide the entire Japanese airforce on Egpyt to bust it open so the Italians could drive through - okay, sure, but the ENTIRE Japanese air force?  And while America has 3x the war material in the Pacific than Japan because Japan focused on airforce only purchases to fly to Europe?  Not a standard strategy.  It worked though, and I thought it was cheap as heck, but the Russians fell the same round I decided to just take Japan (because Japan had 6 infantry, 1 artillery, 1 armor on it for defense after literally spending 100% of their income making planes and flying them asap to Europe)

So basically, its impossible to test for a specific strategy, rather, you have to go research games in which a strategy was employed and then discuss the merits on that basis.

• '14 Customizer

Very well said Cmdr Jennifer.  I have been doing most of that lately.  It kinda reminds me of learning chess openings ;)

• @DizzKneeLand33:

@theROCmonster:

Well, that may be the difference.  I wouldn’t want to have a toss-up battle in England.  Hence, when I say with 90/10 odds, I would in the middle of the expected results want to have 8+ land units left, and those tanks can be dispatched back to the mainland over several turns while building 3 inf/turn in the UK (until that is no longer necessary).  If the US is going 100% after Japan, then the UK needs very little defense, so this transfer of attacking units back to the mainland will happen much quicker.  At that point, you can even split off part of your German Navy to help Italy quickly dominate Africa.  With all of those extra IPC’s, I don’t see how it is possible for Russia to break through all by her lonesome.

I’m not even sure that 8+ land units is necessary to have remaining in the UK, I’m only using that as a rough guide.

Winning Egypt is a given, and then attacking from both the south (through the Middle East) and the north (in both cases the boats are still useful) is all the Axis has to do.  Japan could go down in this scenario and it doesn’t matter – hence, building a few mainland IC’s and then sending fast units West can be part of the plan when needed, temporarily ignoring the U.S. threat.

Italy simply fills in the gaps where necessary, including holding the Med.  Of course, if the U.S. is going 100% towards Japan, there isn’t much of a threat to the Med.  Even if Russia were to be at 55 income, with Italy (with NO’s) pulling in over 30, I don’t see how the Allies are winning that kind of game…

So are you buying a carrier 2 transports first turn, and then 10 transports second turn and attacking with 26 ground and 10 planes on Turn 3?

The traditional Sea Lion is Aircraft Carrier and Destroyer or Aircraft Carrier and 2 transports round 1, then 10 transports round 2.  So if London falls on Round 3 it is liberated on Round 5.  That’s not a whole helluva lot of time to recover from Paris and London before you see Yanks in Normandy and Comrades in Poland!

• If london falls on round3, can US liberate it on round 5? :?

In my case, germany will buy sub and plane to block US, italy or genmany can also send fighters to defend london. If the germany land force on london is around ten after sealion, US will have diffculty on invading london. Even london fall on round 5 by US, germany can recapture london on round 6 if US land force is not big enough to hold it which gives germany free ipc.

• You clearly have not suffered a Russian offensive before, kku ;-).

What you say can be done, but with a Red Army knocking on the doors of Eastern Europe already, recapturing London will just invite Stalin into Berlin, but not for Schnapps and Apfelstrudel…

That having said, liberating London without destroying the kriegsmarine is pointless, ofc. Destroying all German TRS (and the kriegsmarine with it, if possible) is priority 1 and should be done in the same turn as Germany captures London.
    But even with all German TRS still intact, sending more men into London may well be the death of Germany at the hands of Russia.

Liberating London has its limits too, ofc.
    The USA cannot simply spend all necessary IPCs in Europe because it also has the Pacific to worry about. It must taylor a taskforce of ~150TUV so it can 1). destroy the kriegsmarine the turn it sticks its head out to take London and 2). liberate London or ignore it if too heavily defended and take whatever the Germans cannot counter (Normandy/SF/Norway if not already taken by Russia) and last but not least keep Japan out of Hawaii/Sydney. The latter is why I estimate the TUV the USA has available cannot exceed ~150.

With only ~150TUV, after producing the means to destroy the kriegsmarine the USA can have 6 to7 TRS for an invasion force. That’s ~21 units (including air) to attack the London defenders with.
    So, much depends on how many German survivors there were after taking London. If Germany takes London with 1 tank, 5FTR and 5TAC and can prevent immediate liberation (SZ blockers), Germany can defend with 14 units (18 if Italy flies in all its aircraft). Not enough and Germany/Italy will loose all their aircraft. Russia advances and game over.
    Now, if Germany took London with MORE than 1ARM + 10FTR/TAC, ahhhh that’s another thing entirely! I’d say Germany needs 14 survivors after attacking London at least, to make taking it anything better than a disaster. And still, German Luftwaffe is needed to defend London, giving Russia easy time in Eastern Europe…

It is my opinion that Germany, already having lost a lot of air power and navy to the British and French, cannot afford to put more navy onto the  board and any new aircraft will probably be used to try and keep the Russian hoards at bay.

For instance, if Germany puts 10 transports out on Round 2 for the conquest of London, my Russia 3 is to move the Russian army into E. Poland and land the planes there as well.  Keep in mind, I generally push my AA Guns forward as well and some of those will be present in E. Poland as well.

Germany 3 London falls.  US Goes to war and moves the Atlantic fleet to E. Canada areas (1 turn away from landing troops in England) and Russia moves into Romania and potentially Hungary.

I cannot predict round 4 because now serious dice have been cast and we are beyond the basic strategy of just saying Germany takes London and how do the allies win now?  The idea now is to have full court press by the Russians in Europe, an American expedition force who’s job is to either keep the Germans from refocusing on Russia (while Liberating England on round 4 maybe 5 if Germany did REALLY well with dice or England did REALLY bad with dice) or start exploiting Scandinavia because Germany did refocus on Russia and start the shuck-shuck of troops into Leningrad.  Kinda like normal for the US except for the liberation of England requirement, and you do get that extra round of super American economy!

• CJ (or others), just wondering if you have ever attempted an allied neutral crush after a successful Sea lion? I know this sounds crazy, but would be fun to attempt. I know a lot would depend on the capabilities of the German navy/air (if one or both took a hit), and what Italy is up to.

At this point (after a G3 Sea lion) the Germans will be spent and looking to def London and the Russian hordes. Any German ground left in Europe is probably heading towards Berlin (not hanging out in France). The Germans wouldn’t expect an invasion of “New Spain”. Many of the other true neutrals could also be hit by the allies at roughly the same time (some just to wipe out units the axis would gain if necessary).

Start on Russia3 (now at war) strafing Turkey (maybe even take it in force depending on Italian/German position to break into the Balkans). Easy enough to set-up w/Germany buying mostly boats. Could also start a Scandinavian invasion (3 IPC NOs, and bleeds German units) while putting the squeeze on Eastern Europe. Mongolia doesn’t go pro-axis because it is a Russian ally now (Japan can attack them, but they don’t turn axis like other true neutrals).

US (now at war) could have a couple loaded carriers sitting in sz102 (w/other naval units), and those planes could hit the Spanish and land back on the carriers in sz91. US transports go from US coast to Spanish coast (sz91) for amphib (w/bombardment and air power). Can you get enough US ground units to Spain to hold it for a round (before reinforcements come). Can you block out the German navy from hitting the US navy at Gib sz91 (Italy could play spoiler).

UK3-Could the UK get just a couple planes to Spain on UK3 to reinforce the US after London falls. Maybe they did Taranto, and have some air in the Med. UK-India (probably retreating from the Japanese) could take Afg, as other UK units strafe/take what ever they can in Africa/Mid East. Anz3 could easily get into S America with the right planning (easier for them to gain income there then fighting Japan for island NO’s). Then the tiny Anz navy could return later to help the US w/Japan (with some income?).

You would have the Russians pouring into Eastern Europe, and the Americans establish in New Spain. From there you threaten London, Rome, Paris, and Africa. The Germans/Italians would be hard pressed to stop the vice on the continent if you could get and hold “New Spain” then move inland to the French coastal IC’s……

Just wondering if it would help to bleed Germany (immediate 2 face ground war) then deal with the mighty Orange Godzilla in a couple turns.

You mean instead of liberating London?  I don’t think it’s wise to do first, England makes more money a round if it is unconquered than you’d get from these territories.  However, a neutral crush on round 4 or 5 might be possible.

However, the Russians would do well to take Scandinavia - will be hard for Germany to liberate, takes another German NO away, easily reinforced by the British/Americans and gives 2 or 3 NOs to Russia (depending on if you take Sweeden too.)  Yes the Germans had the transports to take London, but I’m assuming the United States Army Air Corps took those out a while ago by the time Russia has Norway, Finland and potentially Sweeden.

• It’s pretty hard for the allies to take out the German fleet though. Unless US is spending 100% Atlantic for at least the first 3 turns. Taking Scandinavia won’t be worth it because Germany can always reach men there with his transports. Better to have all your units south taking out Romania, Iraq, Greece, Yugo, Hungry, Poland, Albania, and Bulgaria. There should be no way for the axis to stop this.

Can get the German fleet early if they focus on London.  The will lose a LOT of planes over London, and their fleet will consist of mostly transports with a few extra boats.  May cost CinCATLANTIC’s fleet, but that can be rebuilt faster than Germany can get new boats in the water.  Meanwhile, London is free and Russia is not facing 15 planes anymore, they are facing 5.  With the extra income for Russia, they could put a couple more planes in the air themselves to even that score a bit.

Keep in mind, Germany cannot both produce troops to hold the Russians, AND planes to replenish losses, AND replace boats destroyed by the Americans.  It’s more likely that Germany has the AC, DD and 10 XPorts in the Baltic with no other ships and is frantically pushing infantry to hold back the Russians at breakneck speeds.  Meanwhile, Russia with a foothold in Europe is probably keeping pace with the German Luftwaffe and is pushing infantry and armor into SE Europe themselves.  Perhaps even going so far as dropping a complex with access to the Med Sea for more NOs by taking a couple Axis islands.  Assuming the Allies clear the Med eventually (this complex wouldn’t be early on, I am thinking around turn 8 or 9 perhaps.)

• '20 '16 '15 '14

@Cmdr:

The will lose a LOT of planes over London, and their fleet will consist of mostly transports with a few extra boats.  May cost CinCATLANTIC’s fleet, but that can be rebuilt faster than Germany can get new boats in the water.  Meanwhile, London is free and Russia is not facing 15 planes anymore, they are facing 5.

If Germany is a good player, he/she would never do a sea lion to only have 5 planes and one tank left.  At that point, Germany would use a different strategy….

12 Planes at start

• 1 France
    • 1 Adriatic Sea
    • 3 over London (at least averaging 4 lost between London and Adriatic sea, giving it to London due the massive number of AA Guns)
    • 2 Clear the British Navy
      Remaining Planes: 5

I don’t think that’s unreasonable expectations.  You COULD save some here or there, but you COULD lose more here or there as well.  (with 6 AA Guns to deal wit, at 3 shots each, it’s not too hard to imagine more an 3 planes getting lost to AA Gun fire somewhere.)

I am also assuming no new planes are purchased in the first two rounds, as all IPC are accounted for in creating the defense fleet on round 1, and the transport fleet on round 2.  Note, I used the term “a lot of planes” because 3 or 4 lost over London is 25-33% of their starting planes, which is a significant percentage.

• @DizzKneeLand33:

@Cmdr:

The will lose a LOT of planes over London, and their fleet will consist of mostly transports with a few extra boats.  May cost CinCATLANTIC’s fleet, but that can be rebuilt faster than Germany can get new boats in the water.  Meanwhile, London is free and Russia is not facing 15 planes anymore, they are facing 5.

If Germany is a good player, he/she would never do a sea lion to only have 5 planes and one tank left.  At that point, Germany would use a different strategy….

I wouldn’t do SL indeed with those figures.
    I’m curious though, what is the break-even point for you guys to abandon SL with the axis?

For me personally it’s 15 units surviving. Below that I don’t deem SL worthy and above that number of units I’m not giving it a second thought as well, but for different reasons ;-).

• '20 '16 '15 '14

Why are the odds 1/1 for losing a plane in France?  In addition, even if I only have 8 planes left to fly over London, the odds of losing 3 are not very good.  I know there are 6 aa guns there, but the most shots fired at each plane is 1/plane – so, there are only 8 shots in that scenario, not 18…

EDIT:  Aren’t there only 5 aa guns there??

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m