• Not sure BJCard.
    Game I played and lost, I never held Tuscany and I think Italy remaining in the game cost me in the long run. I will go all out on Italy next time.
    It was my German Western Front weakness that allowed France to reinforce through Piemonte and eventually contest Munich for the remainder of the game.
    I do not want a repeat, but agree France may not miss 6 IPCs; they really can pick up 4-6 more in Africa as observed.
    CPs have  to be contesting Paris early on to have a chance of France first.
    Damn Russia!

• Hmm, I thought only the Italians could activate Albania (unless attacked by the CP), only Russia could activate Romania etc.

" …then the French activated the Italians in Albania (this happens every game)…",

• If Italy continually retreats to Rome and the US lands troops in Rome on turn 5, even a concerted attack by Austria on Italy most likely cannot get Rome.  In both the games I’ve played I did just that- send the bulk of my Army at Italy to no avail.  It just takes too long to get to Rome. The best I’ve done is contest Rome- Italy can still build a couple Infantry and the US is landing 4+ units there per turn.

However if instead of going for Rome, you send your initial Venice/Tyrolia/Trieste/Vienna armies straight across northern Italy to get some pressure on Burgundy/Marseilles by turn 3, France will have to split up its forces a bit.  This could help Germany enough to have a chance at Paris on turn 4 or 5.

Of course, after the initial armies are sent to France Austria would have to concentrate on making sure Italy doesn’t grow too big.

Germany essentially has to split up its starting forces to fight Russia and France- Austria sends most of its Galicia and Budapest armies against Russia (with small force fighting in Serbia).  Ottoman sends Constantinople and Bulgaria armies to Russia.

It could work-

• @Koningstiger:

Hmm, I thought only the Italians could activate Albania (unless attacked by the CP), only Russia could activate Romania etc.

" …then the French activated the Italians in Albania (this happens every game)…",

Any ally can activate Albania- the units activated are Italian though; same for any other country that can be activated.

• @BJCard:

@Koningstiger:

Hmm, I thought only the Italians could activate Albania (unless attacked by the CP), only Russia could activate Romania etc.

Any ally can activate Albania- the units activated are Italian though; same for any other country that can be activated.

OK, thanks. This is again slightly different then from how friendly allies can be activated in Europe 40. If Italy moves into say Bulgaria there (which is also allowed) then the Bulgarians become Italian pieces and not German ones. It’d be more logical, IMHO only to allow the italians to activate Albania, Russians Romania etc.

BTW, I usually attack Albanai with some Austrian pices on round 1 for the extra IPCs (just two but you should be able to hold it for a number of trounds…) Does anyone else do this?

• I have thought about attacking Albania with Austria, but I feel like sending maximum troops west is a better proposition.  Perhaps playing an economic game is better for the CPs.

• It could work-
    –-------------Yes General!

I am wary  of your Northern Pass(not Tuscany drive) as I did it thinking I would help the Germans North of me and maybe get a shot at Paris! (a forlorn hope).
    I lost the Austrians in Piemonte, then Venice, then had to keep evicting the French from Tyrolia. Italy meantime never dipped below 16IPCs.

I will not be attacking Switzerland this time.

I do wish you luck, of course.

• Koningstiger: I worry that Austria attacking Albania is the same as amphibiously landing in Tuscany: it cannot be held. Albania is in SZ 17(Italy’s sphere) and they can always drop two men and bombard(Austrian Artillery would lessen the impact of course). UK and France probably want their navies in that SZ too, therefore eliminating any Austrian incursion out of the Adriatic.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m