What exactly are tanks good for?

• They negate hits on your units

• '16

It’s better to have 2 infantry… You’ll still be absorbing a hit while having two shots at the enemy and much better defense… I think a tank would only be useful in attacking lightly held territories, but not much else.

• They can absorb hits when you are attacking

• '12

I suspect the moment you’ve used them to absorb two hits in two different battles, they’re worthwhile. After that point they’re paying for themselves. Maybe that’s easier said than done, though. Can’t wait to try.

Yrs.,
    R.

• Tanks are good for many tasks!

1. Absorb hits when attacking a multinational superdefencive army that cant attack back.

Example 40inf is defending Paris, 20french,10british and 10american.
    Germany attacks with 10tanks 11inf 10artillery and a fighter.
    Germany rolls and gets 16hits, France roll and get 20. France still loose the most units.

France cant counterattack and next germanys round its 1inf 10artillery 10tanks fgt vs 24inf. Germany can expect little if no casualties and have cleared out a far bigger stack.

1. Clearing out small stacks. At least 1 or two tanks will always be needed for those minor battles.

2. Amphibius assults on neutrals: Pick up norway, sweden with zero casualties.

3. Actaully a tank that can absorb a hit attacks is better than a tank that would always hit since its only 1 round of combat.

For all we know tanks is so OP Larry desided it should wait untill turn 4 to be put into action. Tanks worth nothing on the defencive though so they need solid help there from arty,inf.

• Customizer

@ErwinRommel:

Tanks are good for many tasks!

1. Absorb hits when attacking a multinational superdefencive army that cant attack back.

Example 40inf is defending Paris, 20french,10british and 10american.
    Germany attacks with 10tanks 11inf 10artillery and a fighter.
    Germany rolls and gets 16hits, France roll and get 20. France still loose the most units.

France cant counterattack and next germanys round its 1inf 10artillery 10tanks fgt vs 24inf. Germany can expect little if no casualties and have cleared out a far bigger stack.

I think you’ll find that such stacks are rare, its better to have one nation defend its own sector.

1. Clearing out small stacks. At least 1 or two tanks will always be needed for those minor battles.

Very small stacks, i.e. 1 unit its worthwhile for obvious reasons. Anything more and 2 infantry are more effective in the long term. I can see a tank blitzing its way through Africa, mind.

1. Amphibious assaults on neutrals: Pick up Norway or Sweden with zero casualties.

What, with 4 tanks? Its an expensive way of clearing a neutral. Only viable because of cargo space versus infantry.

1. Actually a tank that can absorb a hit is better than a tank that would always hit since its only 1 round of combat.

For all we know tanks are so OP Larry decided they should wait until turn 4 to be put into action. Tanks worth nothing on the defensive though, so they need solid help there from art. & inf.

And doesn’t that ultimately slow down your attacks?

• I think you’ll find that such stacks are rare, its better to have one nation defend its own sector.

I think big mistake no1 for allies is to think that thought. Germany will pick France apart realy quickly without intense help from UK,Italy and US. Even then soviet might need to be realy offencive to prevent Paris from falling. (strange ting this is actually what happend in ww1, and allies won)

• '16

Soviets? Don’t think you’ll find any such thing in this game.

I don’t think Germany will pick off France really easily. I’m sure France can hold its own for a little while until it gets reinforcements. And hey, even if Germany is sending all of its units to France… that doesn’t mean that they will win. Russia would probably be doing fairly well in such a scenario.

• Customizer

@ch0senfktard:

Soviets? Don’t think you’ll find any such thing in this game.

There will be in MY house rules.

• until it gets reinforcements

And that where tanks comes in as they preform best killing multinational defenders that cant attack back.

• Customizer

But remember that ALL the enemy powers get a turn before your next one. That gives them plenty of chances to target your scrap metal shell magnets.

• Tanks will more or less pay for themselves after two rounds of offense by saving two infantry.  Even more so sense you the saved infantry are already on the front line and need not be moved from the capital.  I don’t foresee them making a huge impact though, they won’t see combat until turn 5 at the earliest.

• Customizer

Mmm, it does seem late given American entry is a turn earlier.

I might HR that the U.K. can build tanks turn 3 (i.e. 1916), everyone else turn 4.

Could even make this a turn earlier, so that the first attack by tanks is turn 3.

• Tanks absorb hits, and tanks absorb IPCs.

• It’s hard to tell without playing the game but given certain scenarios I am sure tanks are far from useless. Yes they are expensive but remember, tanks are useful in there own right.  They can take out neutrals without any causalities saving important pieces that you will need to defend against America.

• The fast that landcombat lasts only one turn makes the tank even stronger.

• 2 hit unit on attack that only takes one spot on a transport.

• Customizer

So is an infantry. And that defends at 3.

@NuclearNebula:

2 hit unit on attack that only takes one spot on a transport.

• He means that when you transport tanks you have three to four"hits" in a single transport.
    IE:  two transports landing 3 tanks and an obligatory infantry can take 7 hits before being wiped out(3 of which are ignored)
    With infantry only there are no free hits, and 4 hits wipe them out.

Bottom line:  Tanks are economical to transport if an amphibious assault is in the plans.

On the note of soaking up hits.  Since a tank is less effective than an infantry in combat, and costs twice as much, it must soak up two hits and still survive before it has “earned it’s cost”.  This means at least two attacking rounds.  If tanks are bought turn 4, and see combat turn 6(assuming it takes a minimum of two turns to get somewhere useful), it would take till turn 8 before a single tank on the board could have earned it’s cost.  I feel the game’s fate may already be decided at that point.

In the end it may only be a good investment for the States and Britian due to the transport advantage, and britain can likely transport them off the factory to a frontline spot in a turn.

My current predicition is that if there is a 2nd edition tanks will either decrease in cost an IPC or gain +1 to attack and/or defense.

• I thought a tank can soak up 1 infantry hit-  if there are 3 tanks and 1 infantry, it only soaks up 1 hit since there is 1 infantry?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m