HBG - Axis & Allies Parts/Accessories and Custom Piece Sets Store!

• Customizer

Can we get an update on the Germany 3 set?

• Customizer

Can we get an update on the Germany 3 set?

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Yeah the lack of info for months is disconcerting.

• '16

@LHoffman:

Yeah the lack of info for months is disconcerting.

Indeed. Would prefer to be kept in the loop rather than wonder and wonder.
    Good news or bad news.

So, HBG. What happened to the German Set #3 that we’ve pre-ordered?
    Any response would suffice, guys, even a vague, non-informative one at this point!

Guys, they said on facebook, it would be in a few weeks. That is all I know at this time.

@John:

Guys, they said on facebook, it would be in a few weeks. That is all I know at this time.

Are you the official HBG emissary?

@LHoffman:

@John:

Are you the official HBG emissary?

No lol, but I do know they use face book for their announcements on a regular basis, but people that are not on facebook may not be aware that HBG does most of their announcements on there.

Just trying to help spread the word for those not on face book. :-)

@John:

No lol, but I do know they use face book for their announcements on a regular basis, but people that are not on facebook may not be aware that HBG does most of their announcements on there.

Ah, I thought as much. And that is cool, I do appreciate it because I am one of those not on Facebook and don’t routinely check there.

That said… I believe that I, and many others here, are rightly frustrated with HBGs growing lack of communication on pre-purchased products. I can appreciate you defending them John and, seemingly, taking their side every time a complaint comes up. But I feel compelled to ask if you also are not the least bit annoyed by delays and/or lack of communication. I asked if you were an ‘official emissary’ partly tongue-in-cheek and also partly serious; maybe you are privy to information most of us are not and therefore have a better understanding of these chronic delays.

I don’t think it is unreasonable to expect that HBG would or should post product updates here on A&A.org (and this thread specifically). At the very least, one would expect they answer questions from faithful customers who have forked out pre-order money in faith of a product. In the past, A&A.org seems to have been the go-to place for communication from Doug, Will and Variable on updates, status, product development and wish lists.

The last post from Doug (Coachofmany) was the April 14th post above. The last post from Variable was way back in February of 2015. Not sure about Will. According to their accounts, they have at least logged in and checked things as recently as yesterday though. I am sorry, but I just do not understand the lack of communication with what I can only imagine is a very strong, loyal and even foundational customer base here on A&A.org. Perhaps we should not expect the same communication here that we were used to in the past, if in fact times have changed for some reason.

Yes, I get the email updates when they come out and they are all well and good. However, they have said nothing about the German set everyone is waiting for. For me at least, they also tend to exacerbate the impression that HBG is sort of lost in their own world of R&D. Glancing at the HBG/Global War Facebook pages yesterday only reinforced that by 500%. The Facebook pages alone are littered with over 2 months straight of highly detailed playtesting of products that aren’t yet available or that do not pertain to what supporters on A&A.org seem to be most concerned about: new national expansion and supplemental sets for A&A/GW39. Coy Facebook posts that drop a litany of exciting new items with vague timeframes do not constitute great communication. And the emails do much of the same. Teasing small expansions, grand expansions, in-development products, new one-offs and trumpeting previous products leads me to believe that HBG as a company has a form of Attention Deficit and is at the very least not focusing on what I think is important. If I was the only one who thought this, I would consider myself an outlier and adjust my expectations accordingly. But I really don’t believe my desires and hopes for HBGs products are mine alone.

Again, I do not know their business nor do I really care to guess at why they are not answering questions. Regardless of the reasons, I would always prefer to be told the truth or facts rather than be left to wonder or be told inaccurate estimates to placate me. I am sure most others here would agree.

I want to be someone who proudly buys from HBG and defends them wholeheartedly, because they make damn fine stuff. Fortunately or unfortunately, they are also the only name in the game, as it were, producing these types of items. So even if many of us are upset with the process, we still have to buy from them. My plea is that they simply communicate better and more regularly regarding the products that many of us here are vocal about and have committed to support. This German set was the first one that I have not preordered from HBG… specifically because I was concerned about the delays and lack of communication that was creeping up with the previous sets. I am not happy to say that it looks like my fears were correct, but it does appear that I made the right decision not to preorder. Even still, I have a lot of stake in this matter because I want to buy this product and I want HBG thrive.

What I do not understand is how a little communication would hinder that. Everyone would be better served with it.

Very sincerely and respectfully,

LHoff

@LHoffman:

@John:

Ah, I thought as much. And that is cool, I do appreciate it because I am one of those not on Facebook and don’t routinely check there.

That said… I believe that I, and many others here, are rightly frustrated with HBGs growing lack of communication on pre-purchased products. I can appreciate you defending them John and, seemingly, taking their side every time a complaint comes up. But I feel compelled to ask if you also are not the least bit annoyed by delays and/or lack of communication. I asked if you were an ‘official emissary’ partly tongue-in-cheek and also partly serious; maybe you are privy to information most of us are not and therefore have a better understanding of these chronic delays.

I don’t think it is unreasonable to expect that HBG would or should post product updates here on A&A.org (and this thread specifically). At the very least, one would expect they answer questions from faithful customers who have forked out pre-order money in faith of a product. In the past, A&A.org seems to have been the go-to place for communication from Doug, Will and Variable on updates, status, product development and wish lists.

The last post from Doug (Coachofmany) was the April 14th post above. The last post from Variable was way back in February of 2015. Not sure about Will. According to their accounts, they have at least logged in and checked things as recently as yesterday though. I am sorry, but I just do not understand the lack of communication with what I can only imagine is a very strong, loyal and even foundational customer base here on A&A.org. Perhaps we should not expect the same communication here that we were used to in the past, if in fact times have changed for some reason.

Yes, I get the email updates when they come out and they are all well and good. However, they have said nothing about the German set everyone is waiting for. For me at least, they also tend to exacerbate the impression that HBG is sort of lost in their own world of R&D. Glancing at the HBG/Global War Facebook pages yesterday only reinforced that by 500%. The Facebook pages alone are littered with over 2 months straight of highly detailed playtesting of products that aren’t yet available or that do not pertain to what supporters on A&A.org seem to be most concerned about: new national expansion and supplemental sets for A&A/GW39. Coy Facebook posts that drop a litany of exciting new items with vague timeframes do not constitute great communication. And the emails do much of the same. Teasing small expansions, grand expansions, in-development products, new one-offs and trumpeting previous products leads me to believe that HBG as a company has a form of Attention Deficit and is at the very least not focusing on what I think is important. If I was the only one who thought this, I would consider myself an outlier and adjust my expectations accordingly. But I really don’t believe my desires and hopes for HBGs products are mine alone.

Again, I do not know their business nor do I really care to guess at why they are not answering questions. Regardless of the reasons, I would always prefer to be told the truth or facts rather than be left to wonder or be told inaccurate estimates to placate me. I am sure most others here would agree.

I want to be someone who proudly buys from HBG and defends them wholeheartedly, because they make damn fine stuff. Fortunately or unfortunately, they are also the only name in the game, as it were, producing these types of items. So even if many of us are upset with the process, we still have to buy from them. My plea is that they simply communicate better and more regularly regarding the products that many of us here are vocal about and have committed to support. This German set was the first one that I have not preordered from HBG… specifically because I was concerned about the delays and lack of communication that was creeping up with the previous sets. I am not happy to say that it looks like my fears were correct, but it does appear that I made the right decision not to preorder. Even still, I have a lot of stake in this matter because I want to buy this product and I want HBG thrive.

What I do not understand is how a little communication would hinder that. Everyone would be better served with it.

Very sincerely and respectfully,

LHoff

LHoff, I appreciate everything you said, and whole heartedly agree that communication is very much lacking, and it is their weakness.

I don’t defend them, when it comes to that. If you ever see someone get upset about the lack of communnication on these forums, you never see me prevent them from doing that.

There is nothing wrong about getting disappointed or upset because of lack of communication, and believe it or not I get frustrated, but in my every day life, I own a business and have bigger things to worry about than my extracurricular activities.

If you ever notice, I don’t get into debates, I stay clear from them.

I come to these forums for entertainment purposes as an escape, lol.

All I do is provide information when HBG releases it and let people know it on here, because I know some people don’t get the news, like I do.

I appreciate everything you say and enjoy reading your comments, because I know you mean well, and so do I.

I was told the German set was to have come out in April, so believe me I’m disappointed as anyone, especially since I have already painted my German airforce and navy, already.

I wanted these pieces, back when I painted, earlier this year, so yes I have been frustrated, but I try to remain positive, because I have enough stress in the real world.

So I just wanted you, or anyone else to know, voice your opinions freely. It is your forum, as much as it is mine.

Thanks buddy for letting me know how you feel, but I’m only here to provide info, not to defend.

Thanks, LHoff! :-)

John

No worries John. Copy all. The post was not really directed at you but more as an open letter to HBG voicing my personal concerns and observations. I do hope someone reads it and others chime in if they feel the same way; it is the only way your opinions will be heard.

In the grand scheme, there are bigger things that keep us occupied and worried in the world, but now and then we all have a little time to focus on our hobbies. This certainly falls in that category.

Hope to hear good news or any news soon. And thanks for the response.

@LHoffman:

No worries John. Copy all. The post was not really directed at you but more as an open letter to HBG voicing my personal concerns and observations. I do hope someone reads it and others chime in if they feel the same way; it is the only way your opinions will be heard.

In the grand scheme, there are bigger things that keep us occupied and worried in the world, but now and then we all have a little time to focus on our hobbies. This certainly falls in that category.

Hope to hear good news or any news soon. And thanks for the response.

Any time buddy. :-D

• '16

@John:

I’ve been checking their fachebook page, but I have never seen any posts saying that.
    I hope that really is the case.

HBG really has to pick up on their game in engaging with followers.
    No posts for almost 4 months now. Not cool.

@ch0senfktard:

@John:

I’ve been checking their fachebook page, but I have never seen any posts saying that.

ch0senfktard, there are two facebook accounts, and I can’t remember if it was on their main facebook page or their Global War account. I agree with you that they need to post more often and communicate better.

At this point we can only hope that we can get them soon. Sorry, that is all I know.

• '16

@John:

@ch0senfktard:

@John:

ch0senfktard, there are two facebook accounts, and I can’t remember if it was on their main facebook page or their Global War account. I agree with you that they need to post more often and communicate better.

At this point we can only hope that we can get them soon. Sorry, that is all I know.

Yeah, it’s on their Global War page. Thx for aiding in clearing things up, John.

Post was on July 18th.
    “… the third German set is a few weeks out with a ton of new German units …”

@ch0senfktard:

@John:

@ch0senfktard:

@John:

Yeah, it’s on their Global War page. Thx for aiding in clearing things up, John.

Post was on July 18th.
    “… the third German set is a few weeks out with a ton of new German units …”

No problem, glad I could help. :-)

• I’d like to ask a question that I hope Coach or someone else can answer.  HBG’s latest newsletter, which arrived in my mailbox a moment ago, includes the following two paragraphs:

“We also should be receiving our next German Set 3 from China next week, but give us 3-4 weeks to QC and start shipping them to the pre-orders. We will not be offering future pieces in sets but only in pieces in quantity of 5 so please be aware. You will see the sets slowly going away.”

“We are waiting on the proofs for our base set of pieces for GW1936 so we will show them when we get them.The France set will follow these as soon as we can.”

I’m confused by the fact that the second paragraph, which refers to the upcoming French set, seems to be contradicted by the first paragraph, which appears to be saying that HBG will no longer be producing sets (or at least not sets of the type that they’ve produced up to now).  Would anyone have some clarifications to provide about this?  Thanks in advance.

• Customizer

I was wondering about the phasing out of sets too.  I wonder why.  Are the complete sets not as popular as selling individual pieces in sets of 5 each?  I guess that would work for people that just want certain units and not others in the sets.
    For example, with the new Germany 3 set, I really didn’t want the He51 bi-plane but just accepted it as part of the set.  Maybe they are retooling the molds to make one certain unit at a time in large numbers so they can order that way.  I mean, they would obviously sell more of the Panzer IV or Panther tanks than they would of Graf Zeppelin carriers.

Still, I do wonder like you if the France set will still be sold as a set or will they start the 5 each piece sells with that one.

Looks like those of us that pre-ordered will be getting our Germany 3 sets around Sept 1 or so.  So looking forward to seeing them.

• @Flashman:

Regarding the proposed Civil War game, do HBG need to produce anything other than ships in terms of plastic pieces?

Who doesn’t already have plenty of infantry, cavalry and artillery for this conflict; yet we lack warships and ironclads entirely.

I would also be in the market for generic ship models for the ancient, medieval and sailing ship eras. As well as space marines, aliens and starships of course.

I don’t want to think the company believes it needs to produce entire games in order to make it worthwhile  expanding into new periods of history.

I want basic Napoleonic ships far more than I need 23 different types of Italian tank in 8 new shades of brown.

Off Topic, I know, but have you tried the “Civilization” pieces from Eagle Games?  Don’t even know how available they still are, but back when they were still in business, I stocked up on them…

• @DrLarsen:

@Flashman:

Regarding the proposed Civil War game, do HBG need to produce anything other than ships in terms of plastic pieces?

Who doesn’t already have plenty of infantry, cavalry and artillery for this conflict; yet we lack warships and ironclads entirely.

I would also be in the market for generic ship models for the ancient, medieval and sailing ship eras. As well as space marines, aliens and starships of course.

I don’t want to think the company believes it needs to produce entire games in order to make it worthwhile�  expanding into new periods of history.

I want basic Napoleonic ships far more than I need 23 different types of Italian tank in 8 new shades of brown.

Off Topic, I know, but have you tried the “Civilization” pieces from Eagle Games?  Don’t even know how available they still are, but back when they were still in business, I stocked up on them…

Being curious, I did a little checking around, and sure enough, somewhat to my surprise, whoever bought out Eagle Games’ stock (“Eagle-Griffon Games”?) still has Civ military units available in 5 or 6 different colors.  Last time I set up a Napoleonic Era Game (built on Eagle’s Napoleon in Europe Components), I used Civ “caravels” as frigates and their ships-of-the-line for, well, SotL… Last Time I set up a Roman-era game I used the Civ “galleys” as light galleys (as they’re much smaller than Eagle’s CotE galleys) Depending on how picky you are about sculpts, I suppose, but they’d at least get the job done.  Unfortunately, they don’t seem to be available anymore in red, blue or green, but you could always paint…  Nice thing about the Civ piece-set is that they have an infantry, cavalry, artillery, and a ship piece in the set for Ancient, Medieval, Gunpowder, and Modern Eras, so they could be used to give you some basics for many periods of history… Ironclads is a tough one; closest thing I know of is Eagle’s War! Age of Imperialism (W!AoE.)  Their naval piece is basically a stylized Victorian pre-dreadnought; once again, they do still have them by the runner on the website in numerous colors…

• …But back on topic, HBG’s wonderful products:

Just picked up several of their new 3d-printed “expansion” pieces, and I’m quite Impressed.  Good concept, too; It gives the option of picking up just a few “advanced” or truly unique units for each nation that you’d never need in bulk, like an H-Class or a “Super-Yamato” or a Taiho armored carrier.  I also like having an Alsace and a Bretagne: now at least I have a COUPLE of French ships that aren’t Soviet.  (It STILL mystifies me why WotC gave France Soviet units;  have any of you out there ever even heard of a rational explanation for it?)  I don’t see the logic of some of the 3-d printed options, though… Short Sunderland sea planes?  What would we ever use that for?

What I’m eagerly hoping for to round out the set of “super-ship” expansion pieces is a US Montana super-BB, Midway super-CV, a British Malta super-CV and either a Lion or a Vanguard class for a British super-BB.  I know Variable sells 1/1800 Midways and Maltas at least on his Shapeways site, and I bought one of each to paint up for my WW2 “Mini-Museum…”  I’m somewhat mystified why he hasn’t gotten around to re-sizing at least those two to oh, about 1/4000 or so for HBG to sell as AAA accessories.  Heck, seeing as Variable also has a Sovietsky Soyuz in 1/1800, he ought to re-scale that one too, just to give us a complete set of super-BB’s…  Since the Soyuz was roughly based on the Italian UP41 design, it could be painted (or maybe even printed) in both shades of brown to give a complete set of super-BB’s for all the major powers in the game!  (Once, that is, they’ve got a Lion and a Montana to go along with it…)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m