Whats your favourite SURPRISE move?

• @ErwinRommel:

Here is a rather fun one, close to impossible to stop. Supprice comes round two.

Japan round 1

Buy 3trannies 1art.
    Take french indochina with 3inf and a tank
    Make sure every possible unit can reach yunnan r2
    Take majority of ships to z36 exept 3destroyer,2subs and a cruiser left in z6.

Japan round 2

DOW allies!
    Buy airbase, naval base and a inf.
    Close burma road so it cannot be retaken.
    Land fighters in French indo China and on 3carriers z38
    Place air and naval base in French Indo china
    Let India collect its NO.

Japan round 3

Attack India with 7inf,5art,11fgt,8tac,2bmb,3bombard and possible 1mec,1tnk blitz from Yunnan.
    Collect 26 extra IPC from India.
    One enemy less on the board.

Can’t the US2/Anzac2 move block that Flotilla of Trn coming from Japan by moving into SZ37?

Be wary of DOW Allies… US1 can NCM a SS from Philippines to SZ38 to block your planned NCM into it on J2.

Granted, SZ41 can still be cleared for that NCM move through, but you still face the SZ37 situation unless you leave ships behind to stop the Allies from blocking it.

• LOL! I know this is not AA, but its just as good!

So I was playing Risk and the other people were going for me.
    Me:Why are you going for me? oh I know! Im the best player in this and you want to get rid of me!
    Friends: no were not!
    Me yeah you are! LOOK AT THIS! IF YOU WERE NOT YOU WOULD NOT LEAVE THIS SPACE OPEN, so Friend #2 can conquer you!
    Friend #1 looks at the board and finds it, Friend #2 looks at that and starts moving guys there. on Friend #1 turn he attacks F#1, not me! They have a long bloody war, why I place 15 guys per turn, doing nothing, why they are losing 25 guys per turn!

• When attacking a sea zone that can be defended by kamikazes and you think the enemy plans to use them (i.e. they have nothing else left), attack using only subs and planes.

Another good one can happen when there is an enemy fleet with carriers next to a land territory controlled by the other side.  Let’s say Italy attacks a British fleet and damages the carriers so the planes go on the adjacent land territory.  On Germany’s turn, they attack that fleet which now has no air defenses.  The same thing would work with a US  strafe on a japanese fleet to remove the air defenses and then UK/ANZAC finish it off.

• Always fun targeting CV’s with those Kamikazes and laughing to the bank as those Ftr’s crash because they have nowhere to land… Whoops!

Remember:  Don’t send Ftrs off CV’s from Hawaii to SZ6!

• or bring an empty carrier

• Can’t the US2/Anzac2 move block that Flotilla of Trn coming from Japan by moving into SZ37?

Be wary of DOW Allies… US1 can NCM a SS from Philippines to SZ38 to block your planned NCM into it on J2.

Granted, SZ41 can still be cleared for that NCM move through, but you still face the SZ37 situation unless you leave ships behind to stop the Allies from blocking it.

There will be no block as Japanesse warships will occupy z36,z37 and z38.

• I once left my Trn undefended in SZ6 with all my aircraft off Tokyo out doing other things.  Japan was at war with the US:

Japan attacks Russia, opening up Mongolia.  Send a US Bomber from Hawaii to take out undefended Trn in SZ6 while landing on Buyant-Uhaa.  FML on that one.

• Here is a smooth move to get US ground units to Sydney fast (not Queensland).  Build a naval base in Johnston Island and NCM your fleet there, picking up ground units in Hawaii on the way.  Next turn they are in Sydney.

• My favorite suprise move is landing my airforce in an allies territory and then having them build an airbase.  Similar thing can be done with a naval base.

• suicide attack done at the exact right place.

in the game I am playing now, I did a mistake with india (put the army in burma), so japan declared in J2, hit killed my burma army (took a few planes as losses), he took shan state with 1 inf and had 4 inf +3 art +1 tank in kwangsi, where he also had built a port and AB.
    His fleet was placed so that blocking was imposible.

I managed to avoid disaster by strafing shan state with my 3 planes, china took yunnan, lone ANZAK inf took shan state, so now his planes could not land anywhere

and 2 UK inf in hong kong attacked kwangsi, rolling 1 hit.

the combination of reducing his attack from 19 to 8 planes, and killing 1 inf was just enough to make his attack on india to bad (40% ish, with the extra inf his losses in india would have been about 10 IPC less if he had tried).

the thing about supprise moves is that they are only something to use against bad players, I have always been one for meticulous planning and conservative gameplay.

• Sometimes the more “meticulous” you are, the easier you are to surprise.

• Yeah. It’s alright to see the ant on the bark, but don’t miss the tree.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

the thing about supprise moves is that they are only something to use against bad players, I have always been one for meticulous planning and conservative gameplay.

My favourite style of play to SURPRISE!

I don’t think playing conservatively, plays well in Axis and Allies.

• This is my newest favorite surprise move…
    Russia attacking a blocker in z92 with S.BMB from Sukr (land Gib or Mor) after which US moves in and takes Rome without a fight :-)

• That’s a great idea if you get the chance.

• @Gargantua:

I don’t think playing conservatively, plays well in Axis and Allies.

it plays really well (that is depending on what you mean by conservative). I try to be as agressive as possible without exposing myself to counterattacks. as an example, one way of defending in russia is to make sure that the counterattack strength russia has is so great that germany cannot stand next to the stack.

another example is to pull out of france after a landing, rather than to let germany counterattack what you have put in.

but the most important is to try to maximize your defence against the best plans, like building only inf in india the first turn, almost no matter what japan does.

another example is not to be so eager to scirmish (on the ocean) if it will put you in an awkward position with the fleet.

but in general I try to play with the assumption that my opponent will make the best possible move and make sure  I am not exposed to it, rather than gamble that he does not see the best move. I have seen people build tanks and bombers, because they assume that the opponent will make a mistake and expose a fleet or a stack to a profitable attack, they then need the movement to exploit that mistake. I just assume that my opponent will not make such mistakes (when making stratigic choices), and try to make damn sure I don’t make them. (probably why I used an hour on UK! the last time I played)

• I used my transports that I bought to fake Sea Lion to drop 12 troops in Leningrad while at the same time having my troops invade the Baltic states. Secured a perimeter in the North wich helped me out a lot!

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

another example is to pull out of france after a landing, rather than to let germany counterattack what you have put in.

You can’t retreat from an amphibious assault,  so I don’t understand what you mean by your statement.

it plays really well (that is depending on what you mean by conservative).

I will agree that it does depend on your definition of conservative. It is a broad statement.  What I was getting at, is that taking risks/chances is often where the best gains in Axis and Allies are made.  Conserving your pieces, and not putting yourself out there, will screw you more times than many in the long run, IMO.

• @Gargantua:

You can’t retreat from an amphibious assault,  so I don’t understand what you mean by your statement.

land in normandie because germany has no counterattack
    pull out of normandie the next round when they have built up a counter attack.

one of the most “conservative” things I do is to not make 60% attacks for the game if I feel I have more than 60% chanse of winning without doing it.

similarly, giving my opponent the ability to do a 40% attack for the game, if i feel I have more than 60% chance of winning the game without letting him do it. Anoter problem with the 40% attack is that if he can withdraw, it can be a good idea for him to do it. (because then he can do the first combatround and see how it goes).

the main thing I think of as conservative is to not build flashy units, but focus on the cheapest way to get the volume needed at the place needed. like not building many tanks with germany, building more ftrs than tacs for the sea (because it is all about being able to withstand the opponents navy IMO), not building BBs and CAs in general. only building the number of CVs needed, not more (bc there are usually better units for fighting at sea /ipc).

and in general trying to deny the opponent the ability to do good attacks, rather than doing marginal attacks myself.

• Well if Germany is smart they’ll either have really strong defenses in Belgium and Normandy or a strong counterattack force in France ready to mobilize…so pulling back won’t work.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m