• I play with the technologies and national advantages. I was wondering, if you have the missile tech, does the aa gun still function like an aa gun or solely a missile launcher. Also, Axis and Allies needs paratroopers. plain and simple. They played a pivotal role in the real thing, why not the game? If anyone knows of any other house rules or optional rules, i would like to hear them.

• The AA gun is still an AA gun when defending against A/C and Strato-bombing.

Some do use the paratroopers rule also. A bomber carries 1 paratrooper into a space and releases him. There are a few “variants” on this rule.

Some only allow your paratrooper to be dropped into a completely un-occupied zone not behind enemy lines (I’m not a fan of this as dropping behind the lines causes panic for a turn) or as a combat mission.

AA guns still get to fire at these as normal if flown over. Most rules don’t allow the bomber to attack since it would be a troop transport. (which I agree)

I use it to help beef up Africa as the Germans “if” I have no other mission for the bomber.

• '21 '18 '17 '15

Some only allow your paratrooper to be dropped into a completely un-occupied zone not behind enemy lines (I’m not a fan of this as dropping behind the lines causes panic for a turn) or as a combat mission.

I agree, i even go as far as kamikaze bomber just to drop the trooper in a critical zone. Not very ipc efficient but can be game altering…

• Customizer

In the A&A Global 40 rules, you use your airbases to send paratroopers.  You don’t need to risk your bombers.  Up to 2 infantry units in each territory with an airbase can go to an enemy-controlled territory up to 3 spaces away that is being attacked by your land units from an adjacent territory and/or by amphibious assault.  If the territory being attacked has an antiaircraft gun, the paratrooper infantry units are subject to antiaircraft fire in the same way as air units.  If attacking along with land units from adjacent territories, paratroopers may retreat as normal.
    So, I guess if you have more than 1 airbase that is within 3 spaces of the territory you are attacking, you can send more paratroopers (2 per airbase).  I guess the infantry are just assumed to be on transport planes.  With the new FMG sets including transport planes, I would imagine everyone is going to create new house rules for that unit which will include paratroopers.

• Wow. I think that I willl start playing with paratroopers now. does anyone know all the attack/defense/move for the heavy tanks tech?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@dangermouse650:

I agree, i even go as far as kamikaze bomber just to drop the trooper in a critical zone. Not very ipc efficient but can be game altering…

The best Paratrooper rule, in the classic (ie vanilla) game that I have seen was as follows:

1)  If you get Long Range Aircraft then your Bombers may also transport 1 Infantry in COMBAT ONLY (you may not use them to move infantry in NCM.)
    2)  You may drop the infantry in any enemy territory you like, but all AA Gun rules apply.  AA Gun hits are applied BEFORE dropping your paratroopers, so if the bomber is hit, you lose the paratroopers as well.
    3)  You must pay 1 IPC per paratrooper infantry during purchase new units phase. (This represents the cost and labor to make the disposable parachutes.)
    4)  All movement rules apply to your bomber.
    5)  The bomber may not participate in the battle (if you think about it, it couldnt BOTH carry infantry AND 500 pound bombs, right?)

And yes, for the record, your AA Gun may both fire a rocket AND be used as an AA Gun.  Think about it, when you fire a rocket it is on your turn so you are treating the gun like a combat unit.  When you are defending against an attack it is on your opponent’s turn, just like infantry that can attack and defend, so too can your Rocket-Gun.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Lufftwaffe:

Wow. I think that I willl start playing with paratroopers now. does anyone know all the attack/defense/move for the heavy tanks tech?

Panzer Divisions:
    Cost: 6
    Attack: 4
    Defend: 2

For the record, we also had marines/commandos/SS/etc
    Cost: 3
    Attack: 2
    Defend: 1

Marines:  Limited to the Pacific, only functioned in Amphibious assaults. (Somehow they turned into Army people magically if they did not attack Amphibiously.)
    Commandos:  Limited to N. Africa, Finland/Norway and W. Europe
    SS: Limited to Europe/Asia west of Moscow (Karelia, Russia, Caucasus)
    Samurai: Limited to China / Coastal Japanese territories
    Oktober Guard: Limited to Red territories

We also had Torpedo Planes:
    Cost: 15
    Attack: 4
    Defend: 4
    Special: Could only attack Battleships and Aircraft Carriers, could defend against any attack (figured they were equipped as fighters for defending.) 
    Concept:  Replace the Battleship which was ungodly expensive in classic!  (That didnt stop my brother from buying a battleship every blasted round with America…this was before the internet so we had no idea how powerful carriers were in the first place!)

Special units denoted with control marker under them.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m