AARHE: Phase 2: Technology

• American and Japanese Naval Designer discovered the pure power of air armada’s amassed in the skies, especially against naval targets; the Carriers at the beginning of the war, could only carry 30-50 planes… The US Essex Carrier was a devestating naval introduction, fielding a maximum of 100 planes, capable of wrecking havoc on enemy fleets. The Japanese also developed a conversion system, in which they took Battlecruisers and “flat topped” them with a flight deck, giving most of them a maximum carrying capacity of 90 planes… 3 Boxes, Americans and Japanese start with 1?

some of this is not accurate. Those hybrid jap CV/BB had a capacity of 8 float planes and like 15 divebombers… the float planes were the only ones that could be retrieved to the ship and were carrierd by crane back onto the catapult. They only had 2 of these, plus they converted another from what i  believe was a seaplane carrier

The front line CV’s from japan ( the best say 10 carriers) had a capacity of 74-91 planes the second tier had a capacity of from about 55-70 planes. The light carriers had like 25-45 planes.

Japan and USA as well as UK’s carriers after 1944 all had large plane capacity. The essex class was fast as well.

I would consider the Shinano to be the best for Japan, but that was in 1944.  You could consider the Akagi/ kaga to be front line super carriers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_aircraft_carrier_Shinano

I was referring to the Akagi:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_aircraft_carrier_Akagi

It was laid down as a battlecruiser, and was flat topped, capable of carrying 91 Aircraft…

GG

• yeah 3 boxes would be about right
    its not major

this would be an upgrade not a new unit right?

anything else besides super carriers?

Correct!

New techs? Not from my end, IMO I would actually make a point not to make too many… The goal to limiting techs is that players will develop particular interests in one “strain” or the other of techs instead of “I-haven’t-tried-that-one-before” syndrome… If someone thinks otherwise, then yes I do have some…

GG

• So what does that mean?

We don’t need your sugguested “super carrier” tech?
    Or you wanna replace one of the current techs with it?

• Those carriers could be a NA for Japan and USA

• So you wouldn’t research for it?
    More like when after a certain turn you just get it?

No you didn’t get what I said… You said, “So anymore techs?” and I said beyond the one mentioned, no… It could be an NA if people think it isn’t in the “teching” class… But really some of the “techs” we have now under the same scrutiny wouldn’t be techs… Heavy Artillery for example (what is this representing in particular?)…

GG

for your reading pleasure, here is the “Ship Technology” list for WW2 from wikipedia:

Ships

Naval warfare changed dramatically during World War II, with the ascent of the aircraft carrier to the premier vessel of the fleet, and the impact of increasingly capable submarines (originally known as U-boats by the Germans) on the face of naval tactics. They were used primarily for stopping/destroying the resources from the United States and Canada coming across the ocean for the soldiers. The development of new ships during the war was somewhat limited due to the protracted time period needed for production, but important developments were often retrofitted to older vessels. Advanced German submarine types came into service too late and after nearly all the experienced crews had been lost.

Submarines were critical in the Pacific Ocean as well as in the Atlantic Ocean. Japanese defenses against United States Navy submarines were ineffective. Much of the merchant fleet of the Empire of Japan, needed to supply its scattered forces and bring supplies such as petroleum and food back to the Japanese Archipelago, was sunk. This kept them from training adequate replacements for their lost aircrews and even forced the navy to be based near its oil supply. A submarine sank the war’s largest aircraft carrier, the Shinano.

The most important shipboard advances were in the field of anti-submarine warfare. Driven by the desperate necessity of keeping Britain supplied, technologies for the detection and destruction of submarines was advanced at high priority. The use of ASDIC (SONAR) became widespread and so did the installation of shipboard and airborne radar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_during_World_War_II#Ships

GG

• oh I see
    thats fine
    the current tech list welcomes scrutiny

check out the draft detailing the techs if you haven’t already

the heavy artillery gives you a new unit at 5 IPC 3/2, it has ability to fight in adjacent territory with -1 modifier, provided itself is not being attacked

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m