• Hello folks,

as i could not find - even using the forum-search - any answer, maybe someone here in this board can help me in a maybe-not-so-tricky situation.

i play axis and got under attack in europe, in detail: germany.
    as the us-player goes first and strikes in germany (he has denmark) to SZ 113 he takes with him 2 destroyer, 1 cruiser and some transports which he unloads in germany. except one guy going to poland.
    i have three fighters in w.germany which could scramble, but i did not choose to.

the attack got fought off, well, britain goes next all in. some guys, 4 fighters, 4 tac, 1 bomber. into SZ 113 with the transports go 2 destroyers.

here is the question: when i now choose to scramble into SZ 113 i only scramble against the british attack, right? which means the american navy cannot interfere in this sea-battle? in this situation it is britain conducting the assault, and britain only? even the us navy is present it is off the battle board?

the rulebook is not absolute clear about it, as i understand it.

“A quick reaction team of no more than 3 defending
    fighters and/or tactical bombers (strategic bombers can�t
    scramble) located on each island or coastal territory
    that has an operative air base can be scrambled to
    defend against attacks in the sea zones adjacent to those
    territories. These air units can be scrambled to help
    friendly units in adjacent sea zones that have come under
    attack. They can also be scrambled to resist amphibious
    assaults from adjacent sea zones, whether or not the
    territory being assaulted is the territory containing the
    air base. They may defend against the enemy ships
    conducting the amphibious assault
    even if friendly ships
    are not present.”
    page 16.

thx in advance

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

The US forces are just observers when the UK is attacking. That means your scrambling aircraft are facing only the UK forces in the sea zone. If your opponent did not send forces to the sea zone beyond the two destroyers, you have an excellent chance of forestalling the invasion with the scramble.

Marsh

• @Marshmallow:

The US forces are just observers when the UK is attacking. That means your scrambling aircraft are facing only the UK forces in the sea zone. If your opponent did not send forces to the sea zone beyond the two destroyers, you have an excellent chance of forestalling the invasion with the scramble.

Marsh

Yesss! Thanx a lot! I kind of thought so already, but wasn’t sure about it. Thanx!

• '21 '20 '18 '17

This fact makes it almost impossible to coordinate an effective KGF because you need so much fleet coverage and air (sometimes, air simply to dissuade a scramble), sometime over 2-3 sea zones at a time offensive and defensive, that you cannot build enough transport beef or total numbers

• Just to point out that the UK player could have assigned some of his air units to the sea battle anticipating your scramble, but that would leave less planes for the land battle.

• @diabo:

some transports which he unloads in germany. except one guy going to poland.

One guy, i.e. Infantry?
    You know a transport merely can disembark units to one territory per turn, which ends its turn immediately. So you can’t take a transport, ship one unit to Germany via SZ113 and sail on to SZ114 to put an infantry to poland.
    You can’t even put one to Western Germany and one to Germany in the same turn from the same transport…
    Just a reminder ;-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m