ANZAC Autonomy! Anzac declares war on Japan separately from the UK

• With your theory does Japan take the money Islands as well?

• Customizer

@Idi:

With your theory does Japan take the money Islands as well?

Not until Japan is ready to fight India and USA.  The DEI belong to Dutch (protected by Britain) and in Borneo’s case, Britain itself.  If Japan touches any of those, it’s an unprovoked DOW against the UK/India which would also bring the USA into the war.  In that case, Japan would not be able to pound ANZAC without leaving too many vital areas open to attack.  My theory was based on Japan going after Australia ONLY and not having to deal with UK/India or USA.

• @The:

This is one of the few times that a rule has been more historical than for gameplay. Because historically ANZAC and the UK went to war with each other it has been included in the game. For gameplay reasons it might be better for ANZAC or Uk to declare war on Japan first. It could be an interesting house rule though

This is certainly the case. Can you imagine the newspaper headlines?
    “Australia and New Zealand at war with Japanese Empire! Remainder of British Empire doesn’t even get involved!”

Some rules neglect historical accuracy for the sake of gameplay, but allowing Australia and Japan to be at war while Britain sits back doesn’t even begin to make sense. But if you found a fun way to play with this rule, go for it! It’s your game, so play it however you want.

• When it comes down to it this is a game based on a historical event, so there’s nothing wrong with trying to be historically accurate.  I mean, that’s why the unit stats are the way they are, for example (to a degree, at least).

• '10

This would never happen.  Australia and New Zealand were part of the Commonwealth.  Their defense plans were all based on co-operation with the other parts of the “Empire”.

Why would they declare war?  What would be the basis of their claim?

It is silly if you ask me.

• @FieldMarshalGames:

Why would they declare war?  What would be the basis of their claim?

A wizard did it!  :lol: After all, we have invisible walls all the globe that prevent neutral armies (and certain non-neutral) counter attack if attacked  :roll:

• @FieldMarshalGames:

Why would they declare war?  What would be the basis of their claim?

Historic Japanese aggression so very close to Australia.

• Saving your money with ANZAC is a great idea……What 3 things are you gonna build?

• On top of the production problems ANZAC has, if ANZAC took any money Islands Japan would then be free to capture them without starting war with USA and India! I would love to be Japan if I were playing with this rule!!!

• @Idi:

@Peck:

Saving your money with ANZAC is a great idea……What 3 things are you gonna build?

How about upgrading to a Major IC

I think with ANZAC it’s better to stick with the minor IC, considering the cost of upgrading it to a major exceeds their normal income per turn.

• '10

@Idi:

@FieldMarshalGames:

Why would they declare war?  What would be the basis of their claim?

Japanese aggression so very close to Australia.

What aggression?  If Japan does not break any of the Neutrality rules ie aggression, than there can be no basis for declaring war.  If the Japanese take any islands even NEAR Australia, then all three Allied powers including the US can already declare war.

Historically it would not happen, and in game play I don’t see why you would even want to do it?  Have an Allied minor of 10+ IPCs go to war alone against a Major Axis Power alone?

• Customizer

@Idi:

@Peck:

Saving your money with ANZAC is a great idea……What 3 things are you gonna build?

Can’t do that.  New South Wales is only worth 2 IPCs.  To upgrade to a major IC, territory has to be worth 3 IPCs or more.  You could build a second minor on Queensland.

• '10

@knp7765:

@Idi:

@Peck:

Can’t do that.  New South Wales is only worth 2 IPCs.  To upgrade to a major IC, territory has to be worth 3 IPCs or more.  You could build a second minor on Queensland.

Does that also apply to ORIGINAL ICs?  I thought that was only for New ones…  ???

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Have an Allied minor of 10+ IPCs go to war alone against a Major Axis Power alone?

France?

And yea, it applies to ALL IC’s, including your starting ones.

• '10

@Gargantua:

Have an Allied minor of 10+ IPCs go to war alone against a Major Axis Power alone?

France?

And yea, it applies to ALL IC’s, including your starting ones.

France is a) Not alone, UK and ANZAC are also at War with the European Axis  b) A MAJOR power, collecting over 20 IPC and with massive armies on the board.

It is just that France has already “lost” the war at the start-up of this game.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

France doesn’t even make 20.

You said 10+ :P

And what about China?

They stand alone too, at 12 IPC’s + possibly the Burma Road each turn.

• '10

@Gargantua:

France doesn’t even make 20.

You said 10+ :P

And what about China?

They stand alone too, at 12 IPC’s + possibly the Burma Road each turn.

Ok, you got me there.  But honestly???  ANZAC would never declare ware alone.  And if they did… what could they possibly gain?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Honestly, I see absolutely no harm in allowing ANZAC to declare war on Japan prematurely.

Why?  Well, there are many points to why it may not be an entirely great idea for ANZAC to do this since Japan does massively out-weigh them in military might and, even if they are distracted with Chinese Territories, there is very little for the Japanese fleet (surface warships primarily) to do.  Doubly true in Alpha +2 due to the severe restrictions on Russia initiating an attack on Japan, the loss of a reason for Russia to initiate an attack (to collect Neutrals in the Middle East for cash) and the reinforcements to what we used to call Manchuria (now Manchuria and Korea.)

However, let’s pretend that Japan declared war on USA before Round 4. (for instance, Round 2 maybe.)  Maybe England does not want to be at war with Japan yet but ANZAC could really use some action?

Now, I know that Japan declaring war on England/ANZAC brings America into the war, but I do not believe that declaring war on America brings UK/ANZAC into war.  (And I am thinking of strategy that makes more sense in attacking America early and ignoring China.)

Since we’re really only talking about ANZAC declaring unilaterally, and not giving Japan the option to only declare against ANZAC, I do not see a downside here.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

LoL, I think I’ve been here like 36 years…wink so really it’s only 1k posts a year…

In actuality, a lot of it is tactics discussion (Mostly AAR/2nd I admit, I am quite rusty at more advanced games like AAReHistorical, Anniversary and of course 1940) and then there are all those 2 infantry vs 1 infantry battles that take 40 rounds to come to conclusion.  :-D

• Anzac would recieve their NO’s right away. If Japan went after them it would put Japan so far out of position to do anything constructive….Who ever heard of a KAF strat?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m