• @chagadiel:

some good painting there. some straight lines unlike mine on the carriers.

may i suggest trying washes on your battle ships NOT the aircraft carriers though. the batle ships have lots of nooks and detail for a dark grey or brown wash to pull out the detail.

haven´t ever tried a wash…. but maybe I should…

• @chrillenilsson:

@chagadiel:

some good painting there. some straight lines unlike mine on the carriers.

may i suggest trying washes on your battle ships NOT the aircraft carriers though. the batle ships have lots of nooks and detail for a dark grey or brown wash to pull out the detail.

haven´t ever tried a wash…. but maybe I should…

Try it on just one. dip a brush in a dark colour, brown works well for me. Dip the brush brush in some water and nudge the brush on the side and you will see how strong the paint is still. Keep dipping until you like the water/paint ratio. dont panic if it covers the model all over and is too thick it happens to me still just thin the brush more and apply more watered down paints until it thins and use the brush to soak up bits which are too thick.

it sounds more complicated than it is just start with a very watered down wash and see. it useally takes an hour to dry with acrylics but its the last thing mostly anyway

• German Sd.Kfz. 251

Russian T34

russian trucks

russian bombers

• nice… I´m working on my army as well… slow but steady  :)

• If you want me to be honest i think that you have potencial.

Some things that could improve your work:

• Use a base black spray coat from warhammer.
    • put more water on ink so that is not to thick.
    • use decalcs for roundels, don´t paint roundels cause that gives a really low quality look.

• I don’t think anyone here claimed to be a professional… So obviously this is all amateur work.

• Well… Don´t know what to say?!
    I think that everyone that is painting their units are just doing it for fun. It´s not like we are trying to massproduce the troops and sell them…
    We´re all amateurs and not spending all of our time and money on it…
    But since I´m a nice person I´ve answered your other post about decals… Which I use for some of my units…

• @MEGAEINSTEIN:

If you want me to be honest i think that the painting looks very amateur.

Some things that could improve your work:

• Use a base black spray coat from warhammer.
    • put more water on ink so that is not to thick.
    • use decalcs for roundels, don´t paint roundels cause that gives a really low quality look.

nope  i am not a profesional i just like painting. i just thought i would share the way i am doing mine which is a bit differrent i also like to see other peaples  to compare interpretations of colour  style and ideas which i like and borrow for my own.
    i agree with the decals especially the american ones i struggel to do straight lines and stars . a black base coat takes away colour and makes it dull, a white coat is better.

ANYways whats the point in it all when last night i was playing europe with my wife and she kept attacking me with backwards faceing t34s :-D

• si germans…

gertroop.jpg

• No 1

:Megastien (or whatever you call yourself),

He was showing what he did not what you can buy. Calling it amatuer is just plain mean.

No 2 Chagadiel

:Don’t let the naysayers hold you back, they are just lacking in some part of them self.

Game on!

• i still think that they’re great. im considering starting to paint my peices.

• Lets try to encourage the progress of these people and not tear them down with insults. Its ok to give tips on how to do better, but lets not judge the work in any light other than a positive one.

If you can do better, then do it and post. You can only raise the bar and encourage others to do the same.

• @Imperious:

Lets try to encourage the progress of these people and not tear them down with insults. Its ok to give tips on how to do better, but lets not judge the work in any light other than a positive one.

If you can do better, then do it and post. You can only raise the bar and encourage others to do the same.

McLovin Likes This (Insert thumbs up here)

• Official Q&A

Well said, IL.

• thanks all

I leader said it best. Forums are a great place to share with like minded peaple and give a little bit back to the comunity from which you have sought ideas and influence.

• '13

Very cool.  Nice job.  I used to build a lot of 1/72 scale armor and had fun with the various paint schemes.  I just don’t have time anymore.

• Beautiful work!

So well done!

Keep on painting!

You may have however potencial to do a lot better than that!

• really important is to use a base color with spray - this avoids the ink from being removed with your nails for example later when playing with the painted units.

Dissolve more the ink on water to have a smoother surface after painting.

only use 3 colors to tanks.

with planes and ships you only need to use 1 color and one shadow, using a second color only for details (ex:the front of zero is black and the rest of the plane is dark green or white)

camouflage in tanks was made depending the theater: jungle many diferent greens together, desert just a kind of yellow

camouflage on ships was made using one single color (for example a kind of blue/green for usa ships

camouflage on planes was made in 2 dimensions: below the plane a color of the sky - light grey more frequently (someone looking to the flying plane from ground would see the sky and the below part of the plane). The other dimension is above the plane - someone on another plane flying over that plane sees the above part the plane and the ground - for example the upper part of the usa dauntless was painted blue so that someone looking down would see the blue from the plane and the blue water of pacific ocean.

• a good benchmarketing is to observe AA miniatures.

all land and air units look pretty real.

the ships do not look that real cause in reality the camouflage used in the ships from the different powers was really very similar, so AA naval miniatures are painted in a surreal method to make each power having specific colors.

in reality however, many times the only way to distinguish to whom each ship belonged  was by analising its silhouette, not its colors (many times there was not even a flag to check)

• I have decided to have a professionally painted set. My guy ED is a Master Painter of nearly 35 years.

But my issue is to wait till FMG pieces comes out and paint them, or just paint the OOB.

Id hate to get all these painted and have to start again and redo them when i get the FMG pieces.

hmmm….

I think i will split the difference. Paint FMG Italy and Germany, and also paint all the other nations using AA pieces.

FMG is doing USA after Germany, so perhaps i will paint USA last in the hopes of painting FMG US pieces instead of AA.

What would you do? Wait for quality or use what i got, or split the difference?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m