• China still can’t do research, and neither can France

• @calvinhobbesliker:

China still can’t do research, and neither can France

Where in the rulebooks states that France may not roll for Tech?

Fance may roll for Tech when they have their capital.

• @BadSpeller:

@calvinhobbesliker:

China still can’t do research, and neither can France

Where in the rulebooks states that France may not roll for Tech?

Fance may roll for Tech when they have their capital.

Which is almost never

• So what if France almost never has a capitol? If you want to play as France and have a chance to be a power, create at the very least a 1936 scenario, but even then France was outplayed, and outfought by Germany. The French are wonderfull troops who have failed to raise a decent leader in a long time, but with a 36 scenario maybe you prepare adequate forces and defences to counter Germany, but this will be a very complex game, and you may as well play Hearts of Iron as it is less complex in the fact that the board and rules already exist. In the end, be the game set in 39,40, or whenever, they are either a stepping stone or gone. It comes down to them being liberated, and Japan doing well enough to ignore the loss of Germany and Italy which will be soon after if they are going to be staying liberated.

As for China, no, since they have no Capitol, and to be honest, no semblance of a stable government as this game does not take into account the various factions that were already tearing the country apart before AND durring the Japanese conflict, then no, no tech. That is what happens when you go into a civil war that last years and then continue it durring a foreign invasion. And besides, seeing as they relied on others for most war related items what would they be researching to upgrade?

• i havent read the rule book yet

do tech rolls carry over to the next turn if you fail to get it like in aa50 or is this game like revised where you loss them?

• THEY DONT CARRY OVER

• I hope your capslock key was on, cause yelling is just rude when someone is asking a question.

• Wow three guys all with the same avatar, that was confusing to read.

• Its cause Japan is the best, orange is the new cool.

• In Holland orange is always cool. ;-)

• @maverick_76:

Wow three guys all with the same avatar, that was confusing to read.

i was thinking the same thing

and that sucks that they dont carry over
    i liked that rule change for aa50
    guess it could be a house rule

• @Fighter212:

@maverick_76:

Wow three guys all with the same avatar, that was confusing to read.

i was thinking the same thing

and that sucks that they dont carry over
    i liked that rule change for aa50
    guess it could be a house rule

what exactly was the AA50 rule?
    5 ipc’s
    and reroll every turn start?
    do you lose your roll if you get tech?

• @Tavenier:

In Holland orange is always cool. ;-)

I love the soccer teams unis, they are definitely kicking.

• So do we know why tech tokens arent part of this set of rules? I really liked the effect in AA50, but even there we didnt use techs due to some of the more ridiculously unbalancing ones.

The techs in AAE40/G seem much more balanced, but the way you GET the techs is back to the single-turn crapshoot.

I’m very much in favor of just going back and using the tech tokens from AA50 but I’m a little concerned that they might have been removed for balance reasons or somesuch. If that is the case, then I’d likely have to make other adjustments. But if it was just something stupid like not wanting to include the extra counter sheet or something, then I’d definitely start using the rule in our next game.

Sooo, has anyone heard the reason why the tech was moved back to the crapshoot from the tech tokens?

Thanks!

• @Uncle_Joe:

So do we know why tech tokens arent part of this set of rules? I really liked the effect in AA50, but even there we didnt use techs due to some of the more ridiculously unbalancing ones.

The techs in AAE40/G seem much more balanced, but the way you GET the techs is back to the single-turn crapshoot.

I’m very much in favor of just going back and using the tech tokens from AA50 but I’m a little concerned that they might have been removed for balance reasons or somesuch. If that is the case, then I’d likely have to make other adjustments. But if it was just something stupid like not wanting to include the extra counter sheet or something, then I’d definitely start using the rule in our next game.

Sooo, has anyone heard the reason why the tech was moved back to the crapshoot from the tech tokens?

Thanks!

I’d say it’s because most powers have a lot more money than in AA50.  Do you really want USA with 82 IPC’s per turn to get tech tokens (for example)?

Shoot, play it however you want - Krieg said to feel free to house rule it, too.  But I think the answer to your question is probably more money, and an early scenario date (1940, not 1942).  What I mean is, without tech tokens it’s less likely ANZAC will get heavy bombers, jets or rockets in 1940 (you know - highly unrealistic).

It just makes tech more awesome, since it’s harder to get.  I just got radar with Germany for 5 IPC’s in round 2, and I’m pretty happy with that.  The USA should usually be the most teched up nation after 10-20 rounds.  In AA50, I played in numerous games where Italy had more tech than any other power.  One game my opponent quit as soon as I got long range paratroopers with Italy.  I was threatening EUS from Libya, for crying out loud.

I for one, am happy they got rid of the tokens.

So, I would say the reasons are:

1. Everyone has more money, so 5 IPC’s is relatively cheaper than in AA50 (and 5 IPC’s won’t even buy you a tank)

2)  It’s 1940 and the war is just starting (basically).  It’s not Spring of 1942.

3)  Tech now favors the rich and safe countries (USA) who can afford to research, and doesn’t disproportionately bless the weak (ANZAC), although ANZAC still has the chance to spend 5 IPC’s on round 1 and get war bonds (adding about 30% to their income for the rest of the game  :lol:)  Like ANZAC war bonds would be worth the same as the USA’s… LOL

• In AA50, Libya is 5 spaces from EUS. Bimbers can move 8? spaces with LRA. What landing space is 3 spaces away from EUS for the axis? Algeria?

• @calvinhobbesliker:

In AA50, Libya is 5 spaces from EUS. Bimbers can move 8? spaces with LRA. What landing space is 3 spaces away from EUS for the axis? Algeria?

Alaska  :evil:

• @gamerman01:

@calvinhobbesliker:

In AA50, Libya is 5 spaces from EUS. Bimbers can move 8? spaces with LRA. What landing space is 3 spaces away from EUS for the axis? Algeria?

If Japan had a large hold on Alaska, no wonder he surrendered

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@gamerman01:

@calvinhobbesliker:

If Japan had a large hold on Alaska, no wonder he surrendered

No need for a large hold.  Just so it’s in Japan’s hands.  I’d sacrifice an Italian bomber for taking over EUS any time, right?

• '22 '19 '18

what exactly was the AA50 rule?
    5 ipc’s
    and reroll every turn start?
    do you lose your roll if you get tech?

The AA50 rule was you could buy a token(s) (5 IPC) and got to roll every turn until you got a tech and then lost the token(s).  You could buy as many tokens that you wanted, but all would be surrendered when you got a tech.  I would usally buy 2 or 3 tokens and get a tech either the turn I bought or the next, but once I got my tech I lost all 2 or 3 tokens.  I could then buy more the next round and so on.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m