My review copy of Axis & Allies Europe 1940 has arrived

• okay, thank you. Im just a “noob” =P

• Customizer

Hey everyone.  Just got my copies of AAE40 yesterday.  Very excited.  Getting ready to check them out.  Plan on playing all next week.  First a few games of just Europe, then I’m going to try out the massive Global game.

• I got mine some days ago, but I had just opened it now… It looks quite good, but

I think the “Europe” part is not bigger than the old AAE game released some years ago.

• Waw, harsh game for the allies!

So if England falls, USA better gets some DD blockers in the Atlantic.

Although, if England falls, isn’t the game usually over?

The American player makes a lot of money and can easily defend aganist Germany. He should have built a fleet to block the way to the American mainland. It clearly was badly played. America has no standard builds but instead needs to build based on what is going on. He could have built a bunch of Battleships and destoryers to bar the war and also built guys and tanks to defend the mainland. The other issue is that America should rarely play defenseive. With their IPC count they can easily afford losses that would cripple most other nations. A 1-1 trade is a win for America.

Even if the UK falls most of the time the German player looks to Russia cause its a lot easier to go there then to build massive amounts of transports to go bother America. I have seen America take back a conquered UK from Germany before. Its not easy or cheap but they can afford it.

• @boboshonda:

It was.  That’s why I can’t really make a call on how even the game sets up.  The rolls were so hot for the Axis and so cold for the Allies.  Other then France holding off Germany in G1, all the other battles were wins for the Axis with minimal loss.  And I do believe if I had gone at Russia with both the Axis countries after England fell, it would have been a relatively easy victory.  Splitting them and taking Germany to NA was fun, but not the best choice.  I did it just to say I did it.  America could have held out a long time, I’m sure, seeing as they could put 20 infantry out a turn with their new found wealth and two major ICs.  But it was fun and I look forward to another game of E40 before we do a full Global!

Honesty with a skilled American player they would build a mix of tanks and guys to kick you off the mainland should you manage to land. It should be impossible for Germany to gain a foothold that America can’t break given the supply issues involved. Also with a decent Russian player building for 4 turns before war taking Russia shouldn’t be easy by any stretch.

• I have a somewhat idiotic question involving the rules. Can land units attack air units?

• Yes

• Excellent review!

• So DJ… ready to review 2nd edition yet?  :-D

• @Make_It_Round:

So DJ… ready to review 2nd edition yet?  :-D

I second this!

• Yes, bring on the 2nd edition review!

• @Hansolo88:

Yes, bring on the 2nd edition review!

The threads below aren’t reviews, but you may find them useful if you haven’t yet seen them.  They include map pictures, sculpt pictures and unit identification tables:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=28201.15

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=28244.60

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m