North Korean sinking of a South Korean warship

• '12

I am not sure how close this infringes on the quite right NO POLITICS rule.  But how many of you have been following this issue.  It’s only the third time since WWII a ship has been sunk in anger by a submarine.  S. Korea on Thursday made public their findings.  Somewhat scary when you think of a nuclear armed country sinking other military ships.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/asia_pacific/10121530.stm

A tresure trove of military information can be found here:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/

What do you think should be done considering the North can rain down something like 1/4 million artillary shells per hour on the capital of the south never mind nukes….

• I have 3 letters S Korea need to know

USA  :-P

• These are sad times we live in.

• I bet this will get locked and/or deleted. But you Americans need to stop getting involved in Asia. You don’t know how it works; And its none of your business. Let the two nations do what they want.

• @idk_iam_swiss:

I bet this will get locked and/or deleted. But you Americans need to stop getting involved in Asia. You don’t know how it works; And its none of your business. Let the two nations do what they want.

I agree with you, this is between North & South Korea. If anyone should get involved, Japan and China as neighbors have that right.

I think this is a topic that we should restrain from getting deep into politics, it’s to great of a topic not to discuss!

• @idk_iam_swiss:

I bet this will get locked and/or deleted. But you Americans need to stop getting involved in Asia. You don’t know how it works; And its none of your business. Let the two nations do what they want.

I am not American  :evil:

• @Dylan:

And thus the name, “Dylan the Canadian.” I don’t think I would have ever put two and two together.

• @Brain:

@Dylan:

And thus the name, “Dylan the Canadian.” I don’t think I would have ever put two and two together.

People read that shit

• @idk_iam_swiss:

Interesting point of view…

• '12

I’m not in favour of letting 2 nations ‘do what they want’ when one nation wants peace and prosparity for it’s people and the other nation has nukes and wants to conquer the other peaceful nation.  I’m not sure what the answer is but it can’t be “Let the bully win”.

The South now has full command and control of their integrated military force, that was just a recent accomplishment I think.  They have a duely elected government and can ask the US to leave anytime they want.  The fact a democratic government wants the US to stay, and the US is willing to help defend a friend should not be viewed in a negative.  I think in this case, peace is best achieved through a show of strength.

• http://www.globalfirepower.com/ read this list
    Important note: this list is based on everything except for nuclear weapons

• Being the worlds babysitter is not my idea of diplomacy. You Americans pride yourself on “free speech” and “free agency” Until you disagree with whomever is speaking or if you disagree with what they are saying. Its wrong to tell people how to act and what to do simply because you disagree with them. Let the Koreans fix their own problems.

• @idk_iam_swiss:

You Americans pride yourself on “free speech” and “free agency” Until you disagree with whomever is speaking or if you disagree with what they are saying. Its wrong to tell people how to act and what to do simply because you disagree with them.

Funny, I could substitute “Europeans” for “Americans” here and the statement would be just as valid.  For that matter, many leaders in the world today are full of themselves.  Just do a google search on statements from President Chavez of Venezuela sometime…This isn’t a problem just for Americans, but I think more of a result of todays world wide mass media where such behavior is fed.

That said, a conflict between the Koreas is going to have massive implications for the world, and as such the world has an interest.  S. Korea’s economy is nearly the size of Germany’s and a war could set off a world wide recession.  If it goes nuclear, the fallout could affect large parts of heavily populated areas of the world (China, Japan, Korea, maybe even the USA and Canada).  To say the USA or EU has no interest in what happens in Korea is, I think, a bit simplistic.  But I certainly do not relish the idea of another land war in Asia.

• @idk_iam_swiss:

Being the worlds babysitter is not my idea of diplomacy. You Americans pride yourself on “free speech” and “free agency” Until you disagree with whomever is speaking or if you disagree with what they are saying. Its wrong to tell people how to act and what to do simply because you disagree with them. Let the Koreans fix their own problems.

Wow, you kind of sound like an anti-American.

• I love America. I hate the way they handle foreign relations. Its either lay down and get walked on (This new president they have). Or offend everyone (The Last president). I the common answer is to tell other nations what to do and how to act. Thats really none of our concern. And no it will never get to warfare. The Koreans are Paper tigers, All bark and no bite (etc you get the picture).

• Please keep this less political. Don’t mention presidents or other world leaders.

• '12

North Koreans as paper tigers?  No doubt, in an all out war, the south combined with US firepower would roll up the North in about 6 weeks.  I would imagine in the world of AAA it would be a good stack of chips and pieces lost on both sides.  In the real world it would result in a few million deaths.  The north is a backward state about to collapse.  It can also rain down 1/2 million artillery shells per HOUR!!! on a Seoul a of city of 10 million and allied forces and sustain this for hours.  The artillery pieces have been dug into mountains for half a century.  The north knows their logistics would be toast in hours so they have weeks worth of food an ammunition for each artillery piece.

I think this article is the do all and end all of how the North would fight the war

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/oplan-5027-1.htm

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2009/06/04/is_north_korea_a_paper_tiger

• Canadians are Americans unless my geography teacher and a few others entered into a substantial conspiracy.

I don’t think folks would say that a war between US and Mexico would be our own business, so I don’t agree that a war between N & S Korea is only their business.

It is my impression that the US Navy has allowed free trade over the world’s oceans except for a few minor periods and limited areas in the past 60 years.  North Korea’s actions threaten world wide stability and I don’t think it should be made light of nor ignored.

What would another nation do if one of her ships were sunk by another nation’s sub?  What if that nation were a European nation?

• @dinosaur:

Canadians are Americans unless my geography teacher and a few others entered into a substantial conspiracy.

I don’t think folks would say that a war between US and Mexico would be our own business, so I don’t agree that a war between N & S Korea is only their business.

It is my impression that the US Navy has allowed free trade over the world’s oceans except for a few minor periods and limited areas in the past 60 years.  North Korea’s actions threaten world wide stability and I don’t think it should be made light of nor ignored.

What would another nation do if one of her ships were sunk by another nation’s sub?  What if that nation were a European nation?

Hear!  Hear!

• '12

Canadians are North Americans.  No slight against my cousins to the south in the US of A, but they seem to have appropriated the name ‘American’.  I don’t know any Canadian who calls themselves an American, though some are called that…but I digress.

The first Korean war occured because of a policy speach which excluded S. Korea from the domain of interest of the US.  Kim Il Krazybastard took that as a green light.  Sounds similiar to the first Gulf War, again, an intimation was made that the US didn’t care about the fate of Kuwait.

The civilized world didn’t seem to care when a certain leader annexed Austria, then demanded the Sudentenland (sp?) of chechoslovokia (damn spelling and time constraints!).  That certain leader didn’t think anything would then happen when he invaded Poland.

Telling a bully to go ahead and have at it with your acquiescence against an innocent victim is no way to pevent a nasty ending for the victim or to prevent further bullying.  If Japan could not count on the US for defense then they would go nuclear, so would Taiwan and half a dozen other nations, at least!  I for one would not feel safer with 20+ nuclear states hostile to one another.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m