• Obviously, the Italian pieces are no different from germans except they’re put there for historical accuracy

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

@calvinhobbesliker:

Obviously, the Italian pieces are no different from germans except they’re put there for historical accuracy

Correct. I had them, so I thought I should use them. Increases the cool factor I guess…

• Nice.  Thanks for the pics.  Love to see the Italian 8th army out there.

So if I walked into a copy store like Kinkos, I would just say, print this, and it would come out the right size (assuming they didn’t scale it in any way), right?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure that I have all the info I need before spending a chunk of change on this.  I’m going to be teaching 3 newbies and another guy with 1 game under his belt in a few weeks and the 1942 map is just too small for that.  I want everyone to be able to see the board.

I was contemplating going with anniversary edition instead (been wanting to print that map out too), but I don’t have Italian pieces, so I think that’s out.

• I was contemplating going with anniversary edition instead

If you choose one game … then print this and spend the money just on this. But print from the supreme map file, which is much better.

You can easily paint a set of pieces light grey for Italy

• '12

I would like to take a moment to thank Imperious Leader for the fine work on the map!  I took the image to a local printer who printed it out on a rigid plastic foam underlay with lamenation.  A beautiful job!  I’m a bit worried about the edges so I might frame it and perhaps cover it in plexiglass.  Don’t ask me how much it cost, probably way way too much but well worth it at even twice the price!  Again, job extremely well done!

• Ok thanks! :-D

• First, I want to thank IL for the great maps, but I have some basic questions. I have been away from AA for a while, and am curious what the difference from the orignal AA, anniversary and the latest AA game? Is there a link that discribes all the various options? I have the original (bought new in the late 80’s) and the AA euorpe. To start playing again, should I “upgrade” to the “new” AA (released I guess late 2009) or should spend the extra money on the anniversary eddition? Is there a difference? Also, If I purchase one of these new sets, based on this site,  should make my own map? If so, which map to use? These pics are of maps I made back in 2001. One is AA board where I used various wood stains for the different colors and the other is Europe using paint. Thanks for the help!!! -AAgator

20100612_247.JPG
    20100612_249.JPG

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

First off, those boards are BEAUTIFUL! Great work, you should make more to sell!

Second, are you a Florida Gator? Just wondering since I am. Always like saying hi to Alums.

Third, my recommendation would be to buy AA Spring 1942 ( 2 copies @ ~$20 each) and then print out any of IL’s Anniversary maps. '42 pretty much comes with the pieces and rules you will need and you can get the rest as downloads here. If you plan to buy Europe 1940 and Pacific 1940, you would only need 2 copy of '42 and E40 would take care of the Italian pieces as well.

Hope this helps you decide.

Lastly - Make those boards for us! They are beautiful. At least a how-to guide would be great.

• Thanks for the input on the boards.  For original A&A I just took some 1/2 inch oak plywood and used wood stain for each of the various colors. You can get small cans of stain at any home improvement store. The longer you leave the stain on, the darker it will be. The only thing that takes the most time is tracing the outline of the various zones/areas and also printing the lettering/numbers. For the lettering/numbers I printed on the plastic sheets used for overhead projectors. I also downloaded war posters for both the axis and the allies and but them around the map. Then I put several coats of poly over it all.  For the Europe map, instead of stain, I used spray paint for the different areas. Again, just polyed over everything. Thanks for the positive feedback. I enjoyed the projects and an looking forward to working on a new map for the newer A&A  :-D. Based on your recommendation I will order the 1942. I have done some more reading since my post and what you suggested makes sense.
    Yes I am a Gator. I even met my wife at Gator game. Played tuba in the marching band. Class of spring 1990. Enjoyed watching the Gators make the college world series last night.  Thanks again. -AAgator.

• Hey IL!  Can you repost your AA42 Supreme map with neutrals.  When I go to print the current version, the progress bar freezes at 43%, ticks to 44% and then crashes.  The regular AA42 map prints fine, but the Supreme map is really beautiful.  I’ve got a blue-print company willing to make me the perfect copy at an obscene price (that I’m willing to pay!).

Thanks in Advance!

• yea working on it.

• Forget the Gators & Noles - Go CANES!

Proud native of Miami, alumni of UM - living on Biscayne Bay and enjoying every minute of it.

–------------------------------

On Topic: The gameboard is tiny.

• @Imperious:

its really small. Like 32 x19 and it is really about 4 inches shorter because a chart was inserted to save money on cardboard. So it’s unplayable actually.

Try it out for yourself. It probably will work perfectly fine. Some people won’t be satisfied until they have a room-sized board. From the looks of it, it should only be a little smaller than revised, which had a little room to spare, so it should be fine. Plus CUS being on the EUS side makes panama actually usable by Japan (since it is now 2 spaces from EUS) - a feature that was sadly missing from previous versions including AA50 (Which some people think is too small  :roll:) Not sure if the removal of West Canada touching Alaska SZ was a good thing or not, but the graphics are nice. Go ahead and buy it. If anything, it has cheap pieces.

• hey IL i down loaded ur 2 suprem 1942 maps they dont seem at all diferent from the origonal 1942 map whats with that??

• They are supposed to be similar to OOB. The AA42 map is a joke. Ants could not play on it.

• The size doesn’t bother me that much, for some reason… me and my friends make due with it. I do plan on buying 1940 Pacific soon, and then 1940 Europe when it comes out. That shall be a truly epic game.

• @Imperious:

They are supposed to be similar to OOB. The AA42 map is a joke. Ants could not play on it.

Jaycawbz, are you an ant? Or a termite since they are smaller. I don’t understand? How could you be playing on the AA42 board just fine when ants can’t play on it?

• @Imperious:

They are supposed to be similar to OOB. The AA42 map is a joke. Ants could not play on it.

Umm, when my Dad saw this board it was one of the biggest boards he saw.

• @Wilson2:

@Imperious:

Jaycawbz, are you an ant? Or a termite since they are smaller. I don’t understand? How could you be playing on the AA42 board just fine when ants can’t play on it?

Oh daggum. I just realized that I AM an ant. This makes things quite complicated….

Seriously though… if you’re careful and keep track of your units, this game is definitely playable…

• @Jaycawbz:

@Wilson2:

@Imperious:

Seriously though… if you’re careful and keep track of your units, this game is definitely playable…

I agree. I have no problems but if things do get a little cramped then I will use a marshal card and token.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m