• I’ve completed the kingdom/fief/city list. I’m thinking of running a contest at BGG in the near future to see who can find the most points of interest about the map. Once that’s done, I’ll upload the one I have that includes all the points of interest (stuff like it has 2 Brests, and all 3 of our names as placenames).

I’m about to add this to the FAQ on our website. Thanks for pointing out the omission.

A warlord that becomes a casualty is typically captured and placed in a castle of the capturing player. Players cannot buy new warlords while any are held prisoner. However, if the capturing player has no castle, then the warlord is taken as a regular casualty (put back into the supply), and its former owner can purchase more warlords (assuming none of his other warlords are captured).

Edit: fixed link.

• Customizer

I was going to post this on BGG, but the great feedback from Russ has suggested posting here first, with hope of more intercourse before posting on the Geek (which is difficult to update.)  Also, I’ve been working on this for about 24 hours, so it could be considered a rough draft…

Warlords of Europe: The Feudal System

This is a variant of WOE for people looking for a more authentic historical game using the broad mechanics of the original.

This is not intended as a criticism of WOE, but as a development of it as suggested by my interest in history, which has always run side-by-side with board games, in my case with the history just being the more important, hence me being a stickler for historical accuracy over game balance.

It requires more pieces, approximately 2 times the original, the addition of a “King” piece for each player, and a moderate degree of artistic ability.

The basic premise is for the recruitment of fighting units to be based on the feudal system of the early Middle Ages, rather than the players simply buying units with cash.

I’ll probably draw my own version of the map at some stage, but for now I’ll work on the assumption of using the original, with the sole exception that each fief has an appropriate coat of arms added to it on the board.

Set aside original rules on Warlords, Knights and Swordsmen; these all work here in a very different way.

Each player will have:

One “King” piece; this is his most important piece, since if a player has no King on the board he cannot win the game, however many fiefs he controls.  The King can give a player’s armies a huge boost in battle, but the price you pay for him being captured is high.

A “Noble” piece for every fief he owns.  There will be one noble piece for each fief on the board, which should be marked with the identical coat of arms illustrated on the fief itself.  The Knight pieces from the game would be ideal for this, though something more easily identifiable for small figures may be preferred, such as the “Banner” pieces from Mighty Empires with their large flags.

Each of these nobles can be considered the equivalent of a Count (an Earl in Britain), however if his fief contains a castle he can be regarded as a Duke and has extra abilities commensurate with his rank, e.g. an extra movement point.  So if a castle is built in a particular fief its Lord is promoted to Duke, with the extra powers.

These nobles units are not nation specific, they can change allegiance from player to player depending on who controls their fief.  Perhaps a coloured chip under each to indicate control?

Fiefs which begin as neutral, or become neutral for some reason, also have their own noble Lord who will defend his fief with his knights.  There are therefore no peasant controlled fiefs and no easy conquests.

Combat units can now move only when under the command of a noble; otherwise they merely remain where they are and can only defend themselves, never attack.

A player does not pay for nobles with money; they will fight for him under the terms of feudal vassalage; that is in return for occupying their fief*, granted to them by the King.  If a noble dies he is replaced by his son and heir who will continue feudal service under the same terms (unless there is no heir, but more of that later).
    *He does not have to physically remain in the fief, though he may have a combat bonus when defending it.

Continuing the chain of feudal vassalage, each noble will have a number of knights in his service, equivalent to the value (in gold or towns) of his fief.  The swordsmen figures would be ideal to represent these.

Archers and spearmen (levies) would be recruited differently, perhaps a number related to the number of knights in a fief?  Players will still collect taxes, but costs of other units may have to be adjusted, and spending on new units such as ships or siege machines considered.

Nobles can be captured in battle, held in castles, ransomed for cash/cards etc, exchanged, or sold to other players as per Warlords in the original rules.

Capturing a noble does not mean taking control of his fief, though it does prevent him from fighting and recruiting other units.  However capturing an enemy held fief does mean that you get control of the relevant noble, or rather you gain the right to grant the fief to a noble of your own (use the same piece, but replace it in its home fief which you have just taken over.)  Knights in his retinue may also defect; their loyalty is to their immediate Lord, not to his Lord (The King).  If you take over a fief whose Lord is the captive of a third player you must now negotiate with that player for the noble’s release.

A King is the most lucrative capture of all, since a winning player needs his King to be free to receive coronation as Emperor.  Therefore, since it becomes possible to effectively eliminate a player by refusing to accept ransom for his king, a mandatory maximum must be set which, if paid, automatically results in the Royal person being released.  This set amount can be accurately defined therefore as a “King’s Ransom”.  It should mean that players will be likely to cash in their crowned captives with negotiated exchange of prisoners, cards etc, rather than hold out for the flat cash payment.
    Perhaps a going rate for a “Duke’s Ransom” and “Count’s Ransom” will need to be set, but these should be negotiable between players, as losing the odd noble is not the disaster of losing your king.  
    Note that with nobles commanding nearly all armies, noble captures will be commonplace, and prisoner exchanges/ransoms a more regular feature.

Those, then, are the bare bones of my Feudal System.  There’s more to come, including the introduction of Fief Cards, and the many uses of them; and how a noble controlled by one player may be a vassal of another, and how a King might choose to keep some fiefs in Royal demesne, and how you can decide to reduce a castle to halve the cost of building another… but this all needs another sleepless night.

I’ll also study the fief names…

EdninburgH

Is Garth Celyn one of your playtesters?

London’s in Wessex, now?

Italian names: why Roma and not Milano?

Kyle is Kiel, right?

Not keen on “Low Counties”, would be tempted to divide into Brabant & Oldenburg.

P.S. I’m also hopelessly colour blind.

Definition (outdated?) of feudalism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feudalism

Nice site to get you going on heraldry:

http://www.earlyblazon.com/

• Customizer

Quick test of Fief card chopped from my Kingmaker cards.

Blue border indicates Kingdom of France

Dijon is the Knight’s fee…maybe this needs a mini shield?

Needs a picture of a noble in the left hand side.

WOEfiefProto1BurgundyTest.PNG

• Customizer

@Flashman:

Quick test of Fief card chopped from my Kingmaker cards.

Blue border indicates Kingdom of France

Dijon is the Knight’s fee…maybe this needs a mini shield?

Needs a picture of a noble in the left hand side.

Good stuff!

• Customizer

More cards.

The panel at the bottom will be explained in my suggested inheritance rules.

Highlights, though, the effects of having fief value determined solely by terrain:

Wales, a rain soaked wilderness without a single town of any consequence is worth twice as much as Burgundy, one of the richest provinces of France…

Anyhow, the idea is that a player arranges the fief cards in front of him to keep track of which fiefs (and nobles) he controls. They can also be used as convenient army cards, i.e. you can stack large groups of units here with just the noble commanding them needing to be placed on the board.

I’m also thinking about another Kingmaker idea - Office Cards.  There’d only be 3 or 4 for each Kingdom; say a Marshal, Constable and Admiral.  Though Germany wouldn’t have much use for an Admiral to start with…

Maybe this is one area which can reflect the “National Characteristics” IL was mentioning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constable_of_France

WessexFiefv2.PNG
    BurgundyFiefv2.PNG

• Customizer

Corrected Wessex Arms

WessexFief4p.PNG

• Customizer

King Cards, Italy is a fiction, so which arms?  These are of Savoy, but really don’t belong before 1870.

WOEkingsA.PNG

• Customizer

Next lot.  Not at all certain of the Muslim heraldry; Saladin’s banner if variously shown as yellow or orange, and may be a personal flag rather than symbol of the Ayyubid state.  I have nothing for the Seljuks which pre-dates the Ottoman Empire.

WOEkingsB.PNG

• What was Vlad the impaler’s coat of arms?

• Customizer

A dragon with a cross above it.

But he’s 15th century, which is a very different game, as the feudal system was all but dead by 1300.

Meanwhile, these are the French fiefs I’ve decided on:

Yet to decide on sub-fiefs, but I won’t be limited by the terrain system.  Isle de France will also have Paris, which is worth extra as a major city.

These arms are based on a date of 1200.

The ancient arms of Brittany took some finding.

WOEFrancex2.PNG

• Customizer

@Flashman:

A dragon with a cross above it.

But he’s 15th century, which is a very different game, as the feudal system was all but dead by 1300.

Meanwhile, these are the French fiefs I’ve decided on:

Yet to decide on sub-fiefs, but I won’t be limited by the terrain system.  Isle de France will also have Paris, which is worth extra as a major city.

These arms are based on a date of 1200.

The ancient arms of Brittany took some finding.

When I paint my set, I’m going to used these for shields.

• @Imperious:

What was Vlad the impaler’s coat of arms?

Count Dracula?

• Customizer

Worked on Spain today.

Frustratingly there are no usable arms for the provinces held by the Moors.  I have no information on Muslim flags and arms, and such Spanish coats as are listed all date from way after this period and are in any case far too complicated to draw.

Have to make something up, for Andalusia.

Also, Aragon, Barcelona and Valencia all seem to have used the same coat with no differencing. Swine.

@WOESpain1new.PNG

• Customizer

King John’s fiefs, held in demesne.

EngKingDem.PNG

• Customizer

British fiefs.

Not too happy with these; the territories are anachronistic and the heraldry largely fiction.

But English counties are just too small for a reasonable map.

I’m compiling a file of rules suggestions for expansions/remakes including my inheritance system.  Will send this to conquest, then probably post it here sometime.

Would like suggestion on:

Mongols
    Ships (I don’t care for the shipping lanes idea.)
    Cities
    Thinking of adding the cities named here:

http://www.mcah.columbia.edu/medmil/images/non_met_images/maps/PenguinMaps/1750/pg73.jpg

using mighty empires city pieces.  I will probably use the ME fortress pieces, which have convenient flagpoles.

Equivalent 1212 political map:

http://www.learn.columbia.edu/medmil/pages/non-mma-pages/maps/penguinpg69.html

@WOEBritain1.PNG

• Customizer

Der Adlingen von der Erstes Deutsches Reich

Same arms for Burgundy and Brandenburg, unfortunately.

And those damned Barcelona stripes crop up again.

Mat just be room for a “Duchy of Westphalia”; or to transfer the Guelphs back to Saxony (Brunswick). My set up is based on 1201, but it’s difficult to track the various fragments of greater Saxony after 1180.

GermanyFiefs.PNG

• Customizer

Italy and Poland proving very hard work, so I tried something else tonight.

@WOECrusaders.PNG

• Just picked up my copy of Warlords of Europe today. Looks great.

• Customizer

Update on HRE Cards.

Still trying to find the arms for the Bosonid Counts of Provence, if anyone can help. (I don’t want to use the Barcelona arms as these are already assigned to Aragon).

@NewGermany.PNG

• Isn’t this a bit overboard?

Who would use all of these coats of arms in a game?

You went from Roundels to Coats of Arms without missing a beat.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m