• FMG can make factory units or whatnot. Nobody can tell them they cannot, but they cannot mention “axis and allies” anywhere because they didn’t buy the right to use that name for the product. I think that can be purchased for a fee.

They can make any plastic model they like in any scale and call them “gaming pieces” or another term

• @Imperious:

FMG can make factory units or whatnot. Nobody can tell them they cannot, but they cannot mention “axis and allies” anywhere because they didn’t buy the right to use that name for the product. I think that can be purchased for a fee.

They can make any plastic model they like in any scale and call them “gaming pieces” or another term

Well it’s a good thing that they can because we need FMG badly.

(Rank = 76)

• @Brain:

I think they did it because they are cheaping out.

True!

• I think they are just trying to make a quick buck so they can print some more Magic the gathering of geeks cards.

• '17 '16 Customizer

Well I just picked my game up last weekend. Played 2 games so far. I do not care for the cardboard. I think that for the money I paid, they should have kept paper money and the plastic IC and AA guns. They still have the production molds from previous games so no money spent there. I know, as a Tool Designer myself, what production costs are all about. This was strictey saving pennies. After pushing all that cardboard around, let alone trying to pick it up, I dug out the plastic pieces from old games. Much better. As far as saving space on the board? C’mon -really?! A board this size and space is an issue?! Not. In the end, I think Larry Harris did his A&A fans a disservice and let us down a little w/ this sub-quality type of game pieces. JMHO.

Regards, SMS

• Hey you, Larry just design this games, it is WOTC/Hasbro that makes the actual plastic pieces, cardboards and other components. Larry design the game, playtest it and streamline the rules to perfection. Then this polished diamant must go through a strainer at the WOTC office, where a bunch of chimps do all they can to destroy Larry’s effort. This is not flame baiting, this is the facts, man.

And for the cardboard facilities, I love them, they are perfect. Just glue them to the map, and if SBR’ed you just place the damage tokens on top of them. Dude, this is great.

• Using cardboard counters for permanent installations is fine, except the pieces they included were below AH 1964 standards. I would have preferred something more substantial that would have stacked nicely with chips (or damage tokens) and control markers.

Cardboard AA guns are bad, especially now with built in AA meaning those suckers are going to move around a lot more. I’ve always hated the AA guns in A&A except in Strategic Bombing.

• What originally drew me to A&A in the first place was the lack of cardboard. Let’s face it, if we didn’t mind cardboard then we would be playing all those other games that are available.

• Well, that’s why Field Marshal Games is now our exclusive source for all things A&A related. Since we all obviously dislike what Wizards has done to the game, we should support FMG to give Wizards a run for their money

• Now that I have had some time to see the game.  I would have to agree that the cardboard pieces is more neat and tidy for the board.  Especially for those areas that are high traffic areas for combat.  Do I miss the plastic IC’s and AA… sure I do.  But sometimes change is good also.

• @miragehunter:

Now that I have had some time to see the game.  I would have to agree that the cardboard pieces is more neat and tidy for the board.  Especially for those areas that are high traffic areas for combat.  Do I miss the plastic IC’s and AA… sure I do.  But sometimes change is good also.

Do you work for WOTC? If you like cardboard, then go play Panzer Leader.

• Brain Damaged is raging quite alit -.-

I don’t mind card board for the ics/aa. I do mind the fact that there are not enough pieces for the setup (same apply to AA50. Russia didn’t have enough inf)

Robert

• @Omega:

Brain Damaged is raging quite alit -.-

Robert

I’ll try and tone it down.

• No I work for UPS as a package car driver.

• And no I’ve never played panzer what ever.  And never will.  I’m an AA player. That is it.  So just simmer down Mr. Braindamaged. Please.  For mine and others sake.  And on that note you have a good New Year Braindamaged :-D

• @miragehunter:

And no I’ve never played panzer what ever.  And never will.  I’m an AA player. That is it.  So just simmer down Mr. Braindamaged. Please.  For mine and others sake.  And on that note you have a good New Year Braindamaged :-D

Have a happy new year as well miragehunter. Sorry about that, I guess I got a little carried away.  But I still hate the cardboard.

• @Razor:

@djensen:

However, speculating that there is a conspiracy to get consumers to buy more than one copy of the game is a ridiculous accusation.

Plastic cost from less to nothing, so its not a money issue. It is making the mold that cost money. And they should not be afraid of putting too many units in the bag, because if I got too many units I just trash the ones I dont need. Butt if I am short of units, I’ll need to buy another copy of the game. That is the difference.

As for the conspiracy part, the company’s history will show. Every product they release got plenty of common units, and are short of the rare units. AA50 Anniversary only come with 2 Italian cruisers. Guadal was short on cruisers. BotB was short on trucks and ge fighters. D-day was short on blockhouses.

They use the same way of bussiness in the Minis. Lets say you want a Tiger tank. Then you will have to buy a Booster Pack with 8 common units, and one rare unit that may be a Tiger, or maybe not, so you need to buy lots of Booster packs before you get lucky. And the same s*it goes with their other product, Magic the Gathering, you must always buy the new cards because your old ones get obsolete after some weeks. Its not a conspiracy, its thei bussiness philosophy.

How can dday be short of blockhouses? No new ones are built.

• '10

Yes lose the cardboard! Not only are they hard to pick up but you cannot see them in territories that get a lot of plastic units put in them PLUS part way through EVERY game that I have played you have to stop and figure out “where does this air base or where does this sea base belong because somewhere along the line it got moved and nobody noticed it.”  PS. Where is Brain Damaged?

• Look at the dates on this thread - digging up a half year old topic?

• @reloader-1:

Look at the dates on this thread - digging up a half year old topic?

They are timeless issues

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m