The cheezy retreat from Yugoslavia to Romania on G2

• '21 '20 '18 '17

@nishav

I would really like that, and we did often play that way leaving the board set up before we lost the Mansion. And a lot of the reason that people feel the game is imbalanced is that they dont have the patience to play it out past turn 18 and really get the allies income and position into play. You’d probably have to play even further to build up the stuff you need to knock out Berlin or Tokyo–90% of games dont get that far. Thats why people really like Tripple AAA and there are also a whole group of guys who do video moderated/youtube wars (sometimes 1 day or pbem).

But thats only an option for bachelors really (no wife can stand then entire dining room being tied up with toys).

I’d say when I bring the game up to any generally nerdy guy who might play thier response is 1) ive heard of it 2) ive played it as a kid 3) isnt that the one that takes 6+ hours? Yuck. Thats why maybe 10000-20000 people actively play worldwide. The best IoS games have 100 million players because anyone can play, and the game takes 3 minutes.

G42 at Gencon, you may have to play 3-4 times in 4 days, BBR 3 times in 3 days…and while the game is probably designed with long play in mind, its pretty adaptable to a shorter format (modded). So that’s what I’ve come to favor–playing a “shorter” game more often

• There is such a difference between PBEM/forum games and face-to-face games. I rarely have a live game go past turn 10 as usually there is someone who just decides to have a giant battle even though it doesn’t make sense for them to get in the situation. That giant Pacific naval battle or some giant land battle in Europe that changes the outcome of the game. My games rarely last more than six hours as people can simultaneously work on the opposite side of the map where decisions don’t conflict.

In virtual games with more time for decision making and more parity of player quality, 25 turns is not uncommon to see who will eventually win. Decisive battles to capture Berlin or Tokyo might require 30+ turns as it is easier to defend than attack; fortunately few players demand Allies victory conditions to be met before surrendering. Large bomber forces frequently result in prolonged games as beachheads or bottlenecks are expensive to create and sustain, and also difficult to destroy once established a kill zone.

• 2024 2023 '22

@taamvan

What’s BBR? Thank you! Funny that “house rules theory” is a thing.

• @taamvan

Sad! I just put the game in one room and just return to it over weeks or months whenever I have time.

• 2024 2023 '22

@arthur-bomber-harris

Great ideas! I always play to the end conditions. The Axis usually win, and it takes weeks or months to finish one game. Also, what’s a PBEM/forum game? Thank you!

• '21 '20 '18 '17

@superbattleshipyamato

BBR is a mod by Siredblood. 34 of us played in STL in Feb. Main game in Atlanta in september. Its different which keeps it fun.

PBEM meant play by email but its a euphemism for an asynchronous game (played 1 turn at a time remotely). Today its PABI (Play asynchronously by internet). You can also seralize a live game the same way (leaving it set up and only playing 1 turn a day or week). The “forum” is that people post the turn here on the internet–you publish your Tripple AAA log to this website and then they load that into their version of Tripple AAA, because its not a modern networked style game like Axis and Allies online.

PBM was when people would play chess by post–setting the board up at both their houses and then sending a note, letter or postcard for each move.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m