• I know the attacker can retreat after the first round of combat. Can the attacker retreat after the second round or third of combat? Does it matter which round?

• Doesn’t matter which round, as long as there’s still defenders left after a full round of combat, the attacker can choose to retreat.

• There is a small exception: you can’t retreat if the defender just has units of no combat value (i.e., transports or AAA).

• Thanks!

• And remember that
    a) you can’t retreat your ground forces from an amphibious attack if there are no other ground forces attacking via land.
    b) in an amphibious attack your attached planes must at least fight one round of combat even if your transports with all your landing forces were sunk by the enemy.

• '15

a)

I am not sure if you’re implying you can retreat land units from an amphibious assualt if [whatever condition]. But if you are, you can’t.

“Keep the attacking overland units and seaborne land units separated on the battle strip. Attacking seaborne units can’t retreat.
    p. 17 of the Pacific rulebook (not sure which page in European).

Emphasis mine. Land units attack from sea cannot retreat under any circumstances.

Maybe you meant to make it clear that only the portion of land units attacking from an adjacent land territory can retreat.

• '15

I always feel bad for the guys coming in on an amphibious assualt for an attack with either dubious or fairly even odds in conjunction with other land units. Even if you win the battle, you know none of those poor sonsabitches that came in on boats are ever going home to mama :/

• @teslas:

“Keep the attacking overland units and seaborne land units separated on the battle strip. Attacking seaborne units can�t retreat.
    p. 17 of the Pacific rulebook (not sure which page in European).

Emphasis mine. Land units attack from sea cannot retreat under any circumstances.

Yes teslas, you’re right!
    I don’t know why, but we’ve always played it that way that attacking seaborne troops may retreat if the invaded territory is simultaneously attacked from an other territory.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

@calvinhobbesliker:

There is a small exception: you can’t retreat if the defender just has units of no combat value (i.e., transports or AAA).

Is this true?

• @variance:

@calvinhobbesliker:

There is a small exception: you can’t retreat if the defender just has units of no combat value (i.e., transports or AAA).

Is this true?

Yes, I distinctly remember reading this in a thread here (probably the FAQ). In particular, they were talking about the possibility of the defender spoiling an intended strafe by taking the AAA as final casualties instead of initial, so that the attackers can’t retreat when they hit all but one unit.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

so the autokill actually is _auto_kill.  Good to know, thanks

• '15

@calvinhobbesliker:

Yes, I distinctly remember reading this in a thread here (probably the FAQ). In particular, they were talking about the possibility of the defender spoiling an intended strafe by taking the AAA as final casualties instead of initial, so that the attackers can’t retreat when they hit all but one unit.

I have had this done to me by the Russians as Germany. They left 1 AA gun after Germany had fantastically good dice on the first round of a planned attack outside of Eastern Poland. It left my main stack of units in Bryansk without their support, and lead up to Russia suiciding into the main German stack. There weren’t enough Germans left to take Moscow from the RAF sitting on it without heavy plane losses. America had three bombers on moscow, and attacked the Germans after Russia, and all three hit. Germany took Moscow that game, but it lost everything to do it, including that game.

I definitely reread the rulebook and FAQ that night :|

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m