Premium Custom Game Tables (Is There a Demand?)

• '12

Gents-

Just to throw a new idea out there:

I made myself a custom A&A global game table back when A&AP & A&AE were out and there was no global version per se.  It was a 4X8 premium counter top plywood completed routed and stained, very nice - my wife even lets me display it as art when it’s not in use.

With all the new pieces coming out, it got my juices flowing and thinking - would there be a market for these things for others?  I’m designing a brand new one to match the A&AG40 format - again, custom plywood (bigger), map to scale, custom stained, routed, engraved labels (using stamp kits and typesetting equipment instead of decals I made for my first one), hand painted flags for the caiptals, etc - no holding back.

What would people pay for something like this?  To recoup my costs in building and make a little something to keep innovating and doing more (possibly even other games that I like (such as Diplomacy) I would need to charge at least $500 but I’d make them each individually engraved for the buyer, unique, collectible, etc - as nice as possible.  Then there would be shipping costs too.

What do you guys think?  Would you want something like this and if so, would you be willing to pay that much?  If no, then understandable - this is a niche idea for sure - just seeing if there’s interest at all! :)

Thanks for the feedback.

• Sounds like an attractive piece of furniture.  Could you post a picture of it here?  I’ll then add a link to this thread on the “Global Gaming Table Threads and Pictures” thread.

• Customizer

DFWSupertrooper,

Your living in Houston, TX is good for me as I have family down there.  I might become a customer for a gaming table if I could pick it up in person saving the shipping costs.

I’ve already had my A&A 1940-Global map professionally enlarged 50% to
    48" x 108" but haven’t built the table for it yet as I’m not a skilled wood craftsman.  I’ve already somewhat designed mine but I’d be interested in your ideas.  Let’s talk about it.

Respectfully,
                                                                                                “Tall Paul”

• '12

OK.

When I get home I’ll get some pics posted.  My existing table was made for A&A42 (a link-up I did of the A&AE and A&AP games with a 1942 setup, and being my first attempt I used labels, decals, etc where this new concept I’m talking about will be FAR superior.

I’m thinking I could make the boards in both flat single piece and a hinged, foldable version that obviously would be much easier to ship/travel with.  Still a heavy piece to be sure, but much more portable.

I’ll post more details tonight.

• '12

@Tall:

DFWSupertrooper,

Your living in Houston, TX is good for me as I have family down there.  I might become a customer for a gaming table if I could pick it up in person saving the shipping costs.

I’ve already had my A&A 1940-Global map professionally enlarged 50% to
    48" x 108" but haven’t built the table for it yet as I’m not a skilled wood craftsman.  I’ve already somewhat designed mine but I’d be interested in your ideas.  Let’s talk about it.

Respectfully,
                                                                                                 “Tall Paul”

The table I have now (of which I’ll post pics) and the new table I’d like to build are TOPS only - I used a pool table as a base but you could easily use a dining table or something of that nature.  If all you need is a base - check flea markets and antique stores near you for a kitchen table or something that has a screwed up top but solid base - you can saw it off and attach to anything - no need for great woodworking abilities :).

• Customizer

DFWSupertrooper,

My “A&A Gang” currently are using our 48" x 108" Black & White map mounted on gator-board and laid onto the tops of two tables.

On my version I planned on having a solid 1/2" A/C plywood base that has 1" x 2" lateral and longitudinal wood braces underneath w/furniture grade wood framing around everything and a glass top over the map.  On the bottom I planned to include mounts for detatchable legs to make it versatile.  These are my interests and I’d be interested in your opinions or options for building this for me.  Thanks for your time.

“Tall Paul”

• '12

I’ve posted some pictures of my existing board (the 1942 edition).  Check out my Flickr page:

[]http://www.flickr.com/photos/dfwsupertrooper/?saved=1]](http://www.flickr.com/photos/dfwsupertrooper/?saved=1)

For the new board, I would like to enhance the construction and artwork a LOT:

• Labels engraved/stamped into the wood (no decals)

• Hand painted flags for capitals instead of decals

• 1940 Map instead of 1942 version (with House rules for Communist China added)

• Stencil/hand painted lettering for Powers & Metal Artwork stamp/embossing for convoy routes (also reconfigured)

• Stained wood frame/edging with beveled edges for complete table-top look

For my own house table I’m going to add the framework similar to what you’re suggesting, Tall Paul, but mine will be a 66" X 121" 3/4" Oak plywood top, 3/4" thick framework infrastructure with slide outs along each side to hold the pieces/charts/dice tower/etc during game play, and a 1/4" plywood bottom.  Mine will be made to fit on my pool table during play (as my current one is) and I can place it on a wall/floor stand for display as a mural when not being used.  I considered a glass top but decided against due to my own needs (wall display and moveability as one piece) and the though that a 5.5’ X 11’ piece of glass would be precarious to handle at best.  Instead, I used ployurethane coating on my last one and will again on this one for the “finished look” - only I am using a semi gloss or eggshell rather than gloss (light reflection in dimly lit room was iffy).

For a full table construction, I would do the same as my house design, only I would find a suitable base on which to permanently attach the structure - shouldn’t be hard to find - if you are able to pick up in the Houston area then I can see the possibility of building one for you to match your specifications such as that.

If people are generally intersted in a shippable version, I am probably going to offer a paneled version, hinged for folding that I can ship and can easily be transported, or a flat single-piece version of the top only.  It seems like most people would have more use for the top only (space limitations).  Unless you have a dedicated game room or “man cave” you can’t likely use a full table version with legs but almost anyone can have a folding table or something to set this on - I recommend no less than a 3’ X 6’ simple breakfast table or folding table like you get at Ikea or Target or something…more is better! :)

Once I build my new one, I’ll add pics and more information.  Mainly I just need to see if anyone else would want one because I can use a cheaper building process for mine but duplication would be hard - or if I can justify more expensive tools then I can easily duplicate down the road - this is my current dilemma!

• @CWO:

Sounds like an attractive piece of furniture.  Could you post a picture of it here?  I’ll then add a link to this thread on the “Global Gaming Table Threads and Pictures” thread.

I’ve now added the link in the other thread.

• '12

@CWO:

@CWO:

Sounds like an attractive piece of furniture.  Could you post a picture of it here?  I’ll then add a link to this thread on the “Global Gaming Table Threads and Pictures” thread.

I’ve now added the link in the other thread.

Thank you sir!

• Customizer

DFWSupertrooper,

Obviously with my Color mapboard being 4’ x 9’ and in two pieces I had planned for my “Gaming Table” to also be in TWO PIECES that could be combined,…or FOLDABLE for transport purposes.

@Tall:

My “A&A Gang” currently are using our 48" x 108" Black & White map mounted on gator-board and laid onto the tops of two tables.

On my version I planned on having a solid 1/2" A/C plywood base that has 1" x 2" lateral and longitudinal wood braces underneath w/furniture grade wood framing around everything and a glass top over the map.  On the bottom I planned to include mounts for detatchable legs to make it versatile.  These are my interests and I’d be interested in your opinions or options for building this for me.  Thanks for your time.

I just wanted to let you know I’d possibly be interested in a two-piece board that could be folded up for transport purposes.  Obviously the glass on top of each mapboard would also be in two pieces.  Let me know of any ideas/opinions you may have on this subject.

“Tall Paul”

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m