• So what are the differences from Revised to AA42? All the AA50 rules (minus Italy) implemented into the new game?

• Once again its a fixed version of Revised with new map and pieces. I cant say anymore other than buy it.

• @Imperious:

Once again its a fixed version of Revised with new map and pieces. I cant say anymore other than buy it.

Not even what the new pieces are???  :-(  Someone BETTER tell us before August, I wanna know.  lol

• Cant say anymore.

just wait a few till they start with some product announcement.

• @Imperious:

I told FMG to hold off on making pieces to the extent of which they may be inclined because i would feel really bad when a few months time we could have two sets of pieces.

You told FMG to hold off making my high quality Italian pieces ?

Do this new 1942 editon got Italian pieces ? Nooooo, you dont think sooo, you crazy imperious nut. I’ll smite you 3 times every day, then you would feel really bad.

and Grec, I too will PM you.

• @Adlertag:

Now since Greg Leeds is the new boss in WOTC, and since he is a real bussines-man he will try harder to make money even if we are in the middle of a depression, he will give us a new A&A game every 4 month. In august we get A&A 1942. In january 2010 we get A&A Europe revised, and in august 2010 we get A&A Stalingrad, and in january 2011 we get A&A North Africa, and in august 2011 we get A&A the Great War 1914-1918. This is what both I and IL belive in. This is our religion.

MAn I would love to get that THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918 GAME . 8-)

• Stalingrad is what I am so looking forward to, if it ever is designed!!

Can you imagine a “sewer system” movement where the Russians come up

behind the Germans??!!

• @Imperious:

Cant say anymore.

just wait a few till they start with some product announcement.

a few what?  hours, days, weeks, a month?

By the way, I’m bidding on a decent used ninja suit on eBay.  Currently I’m the high bidder, but keep your fingers crossed.  I should know something in 36 hours - I’ll keep you posted!

• @Rakeman:

But, what about a revised Pacific???  Do you think such a game will never exist?   :?  That would benefit far more from the new sea rules than Europe would.  I’m not sure I follow why revised Europe is in so much more demand than Pacific.  I mean, Europe is completely broken as the strategy every n00b would want to try first as Germany (LOL TANKS) is practically unbeatable, but the Japan India Crush in Pacific is equally ridiculous IMO.  Of course, the difference would be that Japan has alternative paths to victory in Pacific, while Germany either tank rushes or dies.

If they could make a Europe where tank rush wasn’t broken, I would be very impressed though.  Would be quite a game… I just can’t imagine how it’s possible.

While a revised AAE would be great, I thought that there was a thread that showed how AAE was not broken and couple that with the fact that the 2nd ed. rules crippled the allies, not the axis.  There are counters for the Indian Crush and now for the tank rush, maybe more the problem with these versions is that they aren’t played much.

“NEW!” revised versions could help both, and Revised-Revised version would help sales too–it’s all a profit thing here, cheapest parts, least amount of labor and most profit. 
      I say we all just print out IL’s Eastern Front map and play that with cobbled together pieces or FMG’s new set.  Then after profits tank, (no pun intended) we may get a solid build, after seeing how many people have bought and complained about AA50, we’ll likely all buy this new one and then complain about it and that only enables wotc to come out with something new. they make poor offerings though and we bail them out with purchases.
      if they ever ‘fix’ the game completely, we won’t buy anything else.

if AAR is out of print, and you do see less of them around and they are off of big box store shelves like target and toysrus now, then it is just natural that they come out with a new edition. if it’s an updated AAR with new pieces, new map, rules changes and such for $25 that isn’t a bad deal.  if you have an old version you like and have fixed the rules, then the new one wouldn’t be needed…  on the other hand, might be a good time to ebay those old copies of AAR as slightly used…

• @LuckyDay:

While a revised AAE would be great, I thought that there was a thread that showed how AAE was not broken and couple that with the fact that the 2nd ed. rules crippled the allies, not the axis.  There are counters for the Indian Crush and now for the tank rush, maybe more the problem with these versions is that they aren’t played much.

There are counters, the problem is that these counters require such a specific blueprint that it is quite ridiculous and not all that fun to play IMO.  Want to win as the allies?  Simply pull off these moves exactly and you win.  Not much of a game, though.  The unfortunate thing is that without tank rush, GERMANY is far underpowered in Europe.  I don’t think Pacific is nearly as imba, but India crush can be devastating unless you pull off the exact moves it takes.

I do agree about the complaints, but I am still looking forward to seeing if this one is done right.  For now, I’ll just play Enhanced.

• @Rakeman:

There are counters, the problem is that these counters require such a specific blueprint that it is quite ridiculous and not all that fun to play IMO.  Want to win as the allies?  Simply pull off these moves exactly and you win.  Not much of a game, though.

I hear ya.  the ironic thing about the tank push is that it is a specific blueprint that one needs to follow to win with it. 
      really with any of the AA games, the basic game mechanics and map dictate that we have to follow specific steps to win.  Axis always have to take out Russia for example and in the forums are thread after thread to just mash the thoughts over and over and then dissect the numbers and give things little acronyms and such.  In the end we expect too much from these games.  In reality the battles we recreate on the gameboard had far more in the elements of risk and fortune than we have with lucky dice.

the new AA release should be interesting to see.  I don’t mind another incarnation, but it won’t be out 1 day before there is a complaint thread started if by some chance it isn’t complained about before the release.  Oh wait, that already happened earlier in this thread about the 42 start date….  dang.

• Haha, yes.  See, that’s the biggest problem with the Axis and Allies series, in my opinion- the need for the Axis to take Moscow.  It is logical that this is the best course of action…

1.  Taking an enemy capital is basically a win, if you hold all of yours

2.  Russia is the ONLY capital that the Axis have access too (unless you plan on amphibiously assaulting the US or UK, which is extremely difficult).

3.  BOTH Axis powers have access to it

4.  Japan has literally no other worthwhile target, seeing how in 1942, the Pacific is already hers.

I maintain that the best change would be to give Japan a worthwhile, historical target(s), and to make Russia not WORTH attacking for Japan.  Victory cities are in the right direction but the problem still remains… if you just rush Moscow, you can pick up the spare VCs later with little to no resistance.  Perhaps there should simply be a penalty of some sort for losing a victory city… then the Pacific would be worth fighting for, rather than fighting for something that is irrelevant until game end.

• We’re probably a little off topic; but I like Rakeman’s idea of having a penalty for losing a victory city.  Probably an IPC penalty of some sorts… 5 IPC’s maybe?

• Ha, we are a bit off-topic, so I would say we should draw the line at discussing specific penalties for losing a VC… after all, I know many threads get doomed to the house rule section for things like that  :wink:  Of course it is up for IL to make the call, I just don’t want to push it now that I look back.  Besides, I’m not too interested in house rules, but rather having the ACTUAL GAME in a state where they aren’t needed  :-D

Actually, I have a few thoughts on this, so I might as well bring it down to the house rule section.

• Staying true to the subject of this thread… I was just on CCG Armory’s site and under AA50 they have a re-release date of Summer 2009.  Could it be a re-release of AA50, or are they confusing it with the new 1942 Edition being released (or shipped) in August?  Any thoughts?

• Official Q&A

My money’s on confusion.

• Thanks K!  I’ll take that as the official “No, they are not re-releasing AA50”.

• Official Q&A

As of this moment, that’s my understanding.

• Say it ain’t so, Joe!

Ubelievable!

• As long as this gam doesn’t add anything game breaking (new combat system, halftracks, pillboxes, tank rush proof Russia) I’m gonna have to skip this one.  I mean, I can only buy 1942 sooo many times

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m