• Is AA50 a further development of AAR?

You could say that, sure.

Is AAR outdated now?

Yes.

Why to play AAR rather than AA50?

I don’t know why anyone would play AAR if they could play AA50 instead.

Is AA50 the “better” AAR then?

Most definitely, yes.

• Item: yes AA50 is a further development of AAR.
    AA50 is most certainly, the next evolution of the AA franchise.
    Item:Yes, I believe AAR is outdated now. 
    AAR will settle into the background now.
    ( I leave one caveat, the proclamation, that AA50 is a limited edition.
    What will this mean for the franchise, or us, as the players, remains to be deployed by Avalon Hill/Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast corporation-people who make the decsions are far from actual knowledge of the product, a sad development in the business community and a failure of Corporate Managament theory-MBA’s.)
    sorry, I’ll get of my soap box-nuff said.

Why play AA50 instead of AAR;
    Item:AA50 offers a more fully developed rule set.
    Item:AA50 offers a more complex and beautiful map.
    Item:AA50 offers more unit types w CA cruser unit.
    item:AA50 offers two games, including a Basic 1942 AAR setup,
    except its seasoned with more of everything.
    And last but not least, the game offers the full pedigree of every AA development prior to its arrival,
    House Rules the ability to make the game your own,
    the full flavor of " What If, "

you are not missing something by not having played AAR.
    The body of that game, is still within AA50-play the 1942 setup.
    enjoy my friend, it sounds like you are having fun with AA50.

• @TG:

Your AAR’s have become obsolete as a Vic 20.

Wow, are you as old as the real Moses?
    :wink:

Vic 20… good one  :lol: :lol:

• I asked a similiar question when Revised came out over at AAWC (a heavy player base of 2nd edition A&A: http://axisandalliesworldclub.org/forums/index.php).

Anyways, that thread is gone, but the gist of the thread’s replies was that Classic was around for so long with lots of players who didn’t have the time or energy to devote to learning new rules.

Revised was not around as long before AA50 came out, so there might not be so many devotees of the ‘old game’.

As a personal side note, AARe (Enhanced) was the most balanced rules set I have ever played.  Since 1986, I have only played Classic (all editions), Revised and under 8 games of AA50.  If I ever did play any other game besides AA50, it would only be an Enhanced game.  I doubt I will ever play a straight up version of Revised ever again, in the same fashion that I have never played another version of Classic shortly after Revised came out.

My jury is still out on AA50, I have not seen all the evidence yet.

• Wow, are you as old as the real Moses?
    wink

Vic 20… good one   cheesy cheesy

Haha.  I have a certain fondness for the old consoles that came out during the 80s era of classic arcade gaming.  :-D

• @TG:

Wow, are you as old as the real Moses?
    wink

Vic 20… good one   cheesy cheesy

Haha.  I have a certain fondness for the old consoles that came out during the 80s era of classic arcade gaming.  :-D

You know what they say:

you always remember your first……

Video game that is!

I loved Atari 2600 “Adventure”
    Ah the memories

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I’ve played about 20 face to face games.

The majority of them being 41 with Tech and NO’s

Anyone can win, It’s tight the whole way through and alot of fun.  I find that new rules, pricing, and NO’s make the game open right up to so many different strategies and possibilities, that anything goes.  FAR improved from AAR, which I believe if the allies play their cards strictly (assuming Axis bid 13 or lower) can win 90% of the time.

The biggest question I’ve faced is the TECH,  Ive seen several games where the balance is compeltely swayed by a tech breakthrough.  There can be too big a reward waivering on the roll of a dice.  It’s worked for me and against me, even in games where you can have an economic lead of 20-30+ IPC’s  you can still lose if you don’t play very conservatively, defending against the “what if” on your opponents tech roles.

However, that being said, TECH prevents the mathematical conclusion of “I make more then you so 30 turns from now you’ll lose”.  It provides that last bit of hope for a losing player, to give them an edge, and put them on top;  I’ve seen it be the make or break difference.

• I’ve played a lot of AA & AAR and while I only have a couple of games of AA50 under my belt, it “feels” like AA50 is vastly superior to both those titles.

I never bought any of the more “tactical” AA titles like Battle of the Bulge, but both AAE and AAP are very good games (they do require a bid for the Allies to balance them though).

If you want a second AA game I’d vote AA Pacific over AAR.

• @DY:

I’ve played a lot of AA & AAR and while I only have a couple of games of AA50 under my belt, it “feels” like AA50 is vastly superior to both those titles.

I never bought any of the more “tactical” AA titles like Battle of the Bulge, but both AAE and AAP are very good games (they do require a bid for the Allies to balance them though).

If you want a second AA game I’d vote AA Pacific over AAR.

AA Pacific is perfect once you make a few slight modifications.  I would recommend Guadalcanal over it, though, if you only want to play 2 players and you want an even fresher experience.

Honestly though, I don’t “get” all this “It’s a superior game” crap.  I don’t consider AAR superior to AA, just different.  Yeah I guess it is better, but “superior” isn’t a word I would use, as I still find myself playing and enjoying classic.

• Thank you all for your comments so far :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m