• '21 '20 '18 '17 '16 '15 TripleA

Just getting back into A&A Global and perused the boards for the first time in years.

I saw some posts about allied bids for 60 (non- balanced mod) and was shocked! 60? I can’t believe that. I started salivating at the idea of dropping 60 worth of units. Is this the case? I’m playing now with allied bids in the low 20s and it’s more reasonable and fair.

Also, I saw some discussion about bid limits. I’ve always played with max 1 unit only in territory/sea zones that already have a unit of that nationality, and no ICs/air bases or naval bases. Is that still the case?

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

@freh said in Bids for allies - 60???:

I saw some posts about allied bids for 60 (non- balanced mod) and was shocked! 60? I can’t believe that. I started salivating at the idea of dropping 60 worth of units. Is this the case? I’m playing now with allied bids in the low 20s and it’s more reasonable and fair.

I think those may have been my posts. My Seattle gaming group has slowly built up to $60 bids and the Axis is still winning 50% of the time so we consider it a fair bid. IMHO it would be a wipeout at $20 in the OOB version. It seems here the bid is more like 30-40. That seems a tad low to me but of course any high or low bid can be overcome by extremely poor dice or bad strategy very quickly.

Also, I saw some discussion about bid limits. I’ve always played with max 1 unit only in territory/sea zones that already have a unit of that nationality, and no ICs/air bases or naval bases. Is that still the case?

My understanding is the Bid Rules can be anything you and your Opponent agree to. However, according to the League Rules here…
    Default settings for bidding:
    1) Limit one bid unit in a territory or sea zone.
    2) The nation placing a unit in a territory or sea zone must have started with a unit in said territory or sea zone prior to placing the bid.
    3) China is limited to bid units of: Infantry, Artillery and/or Fighters (the units China is legally able to purchase or start the game with.) These units are still limited to movement/placement restrictions of Chinese units.

• @AndrewAAGamer said in Bids for allies - 60???:

I think those may have been my posts. My Seattle gaming group has slowly built up to $60 bids and the Axis is still winning 50% of the time so we consider it a fair bid. IMHO it would be a wipeout at $20 in the OOB version. It seems here the bid is more like 30-40. That seems a tad low to me but of course any high or low bid can be overcome by extremely poor dice or bad strategy very quickly.

Wow, I’ve been away from the game so things must have shifted and strategy must be evovling. I just can’t imagine losing with the opportunity to put $60 worth of allied units before the game starts. Are there any patterns to bids? Does it get concentrated in one nation (defending UK against initial German attacks, or giving Russia some more offensive bite) or is it spread out?

My understanding is the Bid Rules can be anything you and your Opponent agree to. However, according to the League Rules here…
    Default settings for bidding:
    1) Limit one bid unit in a territory or sea zone.
    2) The nation placing a unit in a territory or sea zone must have started with a unit in said territory or sea zone prior to placing the bid.
    3) China is limited to bid units of: Infantry, Artillery and/or Fighters (the units China is legally able to purchase or start the game with.) These units are still limited to movement/placement restrictions of Chinese units.

Ok this seems familiar. Thanks for clarifying.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

@freh said in Bids for allies - 60???:

Wow, I’ve been away from the game so things must have shifted and strategy must be evovling. I just can’t imagine losing with the opportunity to put $60 worth of allied units before the game starts. Are there any patterns to bids? Does it get concentrated in one nation (defending UK against initial German attacks, or giving Russia some more offensive bite) or is it spread out?

As I said my gaming group in Seattle has gone up to $60. I am not sure that is true for the general community. The placement of the Bid depends on the Player. Sometimes it all goes in Russia, sometimes it all goes to UK Europe. Personally I think that is six of one half a dozen of another. Bid units in Russia protect Moscow so the Allies do not need to help Russia defend their capital. Bid units for UK Europe assist UK in defense of London and in taking out the Italians much faster which allows them to assist Russia either with direct unit intervention for the defense of Moscow or intense pressure on the Atlantic Wall. The end result is basically the same. Either the UK is strong and gets help to Russia fast or the UK is weak and struggles but never has to send help to Russia because Russia is strong. Personally I like a 50-50 balance between UK Europe and Russia. Best of both worlds. :)

One constant is that normally at least 80% up to all 100% goes on the Europe side of the board versus the Pacific side of the board.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m