Do the European allies enter the war against Japan if Japan attacks the us?

• Question I never imagined I would ask but remarkably it’s come up:

If Japan attacks the US (say Phil & 1940 Pearl Harbor) but does NOT attack France, ANZAC, nor UK Pacific, do the European allies enter into war with Japan alongside the USA?

Shockingly, the second edition rules are ambiguous. Please reply with a reference from the rulebook!

(G40E2 if that was unclear)![alt text](image url)

• @hengst

If Japan declares war on the United States only, only the United States enter war with Japan.

War is declared against powers individually, except a declaration of war by Japan against either the United Kingdom or ANZAC will immediately result in a state of war between Japan and both of those powers.

Rulebook Pacific 1940 2nd ed., page 37 (some words ‘bolded’ by me):
    “Japan may declare war on the United Kingdom, ANZAC, the United States, France, or the Soviet Union at the beginning of the Combat Move phase of any of its turns. A declaration of war by Japan against either the United Kingdom or ANZAC will immediately result in a state of war between Japan and both of those powers. A state of war between Japan and France or between Japan and the Soviet Union will not affect relations between Japan and the United States, and vice versa. Japan may attack Dutch territories only if a state of war exists between it and the United Kingdom and ANZAC.”

So there is nothing that indicates that any other power will enter war together with USA if Japan declares war on only USA.

HTH :slightly_smiling_face:

• @hengst Also, per pages 38 and 39, UK-ANZAC is allowed to declare war on Japan at the beginning of the Combat Move phase of any of either of those powers’ turns, so the relationship between Japan and the USA has no effect on their ability to declare war.

• @panther I did not know this, thank you

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m