• What do you guys think… I’ve been neglecting my PS3 lately and have been itching to get back on it… I have Dead Space 2 and will get on that soon… I’m a big sports gamer more than anything, so I guess my top 5 would go something like…

1. NBA2k11, Madden 11, Grand Turismo 5
    2. Heavy Rain
    3. Any Final Fantasy
    4. Tekken, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter etc.
    5. GTA (just fun to run over people)

• Wi:
    1. Madden 07
    2. Madden 12
    3. Super Mario
    4. Blazing Angels
    5. Mario Kart

• 1. Paper Mario, N64 (favorite ever!)
    2. Metroid Prime, Gamecube
    3. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, N64
    4. All Donkey Kong Country games, SNES
    5. Super Metroid, SNES

• Top PS3 in my experience:

Assassin’s Creed 2

Uncharted 2

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Civilization Revolution

inFamous

I had lots of fun with Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 1 and 2 but I don’t know that they are quite a ‘top’ game. Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood is a nice follow up to AC2.

I hear that Mass Effect 2 is pretty special.

Red Dead Redemption is good but it hasn’t really grabbed me. I don’t really feel I can ignore the side mission type stuff and play just the story and that is kinda holding the whole thing back for me.

Very much enjoyed Heavy Rain and have been working on a play through with Move controls. Tried some of the Killzone 3 Beta test with Move controls and that is pretty neat stuff as well.

• Left 4 Dead
    Call of Duty 2
    Red Faction
    Postal II ( the one with Gary Coleman)
    Soldier of Fortune II

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Consoles are for CHILDREN.

• 1. Halo series - xbox
    2. Command and Conqueror Red Alert series - CP
    3. Super Mario 64 - N64
    4. Star Wars Battlefront 2 - original xbox
    5. Call of duty 4 modern warfare - xbox

• Marvel vs Campcom 3

She-Hulk and Jean Grey in the same team? Priceless!  :-D A pity that you cannot use B.B. Hood anymore  :cry: … that would be the female trio of doom!  :mrgreen: And why they didn’t include Captain Commando / Phoenix Wright?  :? I prefer him better than Mephisto (the dude formerly called Spiderman  :-P) … oh well, at least Wolverine is good as punching ball  :lol:

• Customizer

PS3

Metal Gear Solid
    AVP
    Heavy rain
    GT5
    Force Unleashed

• panzer general
    allied general
    rbi baseball
    civ
    bill walsh college football

honorable mention:  tecmo bowl (football)

does my list date me? 8-)

• @M7574:

panzer general
    allied general
    rbi baseball
    civ

honorable mention:  tecmo bowl (football)

Maybe a little but good call on Panzer and Allied General. I was locked into PS3 or I might have put those up myself.

@jim010:

PS3

Metal Gear Solid – 4 FTFY – :wink:
    AVP
    Heavy rain
    GT5
    Force Unleashed

MGS4 is a must get if you’re a Metal Gear fan and worth a look if you’re not. I found some of the cut scenes a bit long winded but all of the gameplay just ‘works.’ Got  caught up in my recent experience and overlooked MGS4.

• This is tough, but I’ll try, in no order.

1. Final Fantasy 7 or Tactics, can’t decide - PS
    2. Shadow Of The Colossus - PS2
    3. Contra - NES
    4. Shining Force 1/2 - Genesis
    5. Left 4 Dead 1/2 - Xbox360

I’ve owned all of these and would probably change the list any other day. Also considered Xenogears, Castlevania Symphony of the Night (PS); Dynasty Warriors 2, Romance of the 3 Kingdoms 7 (PS2); Tecmo Super Bowl (NES); Shadowrun, Phantasy Star 2/4, General Chaos (Genesis); Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect, Fallout 3, Elder Scrolls Oblivion, Castle Crashers (360); Shining Force 3, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Dragon Force, Guardian Heroes, Iron Storm (Saturn)

@frimmel:

Red Dead Redemption is good but it hasn’t really grabbed me. I don’t really feel I can ignore the side mission type stuff and play just the story and that is kinda holding the whole thing back for me.

I just picked up ME2 and am about 15 hours into it. So far, I prefer the first one. They aren’t drastically different, but it’s the little things that make a difference. However, ME2 is still a great game. The narrative is just as strong, and you are once again immersed in well designed space lore. The only thing I want to point out for picking it up on PS3 is that someone screwed up by getting the sequel but not the original.  I dont know why they did that as they game carries decisions you make from the first to the second (and on to the third). You also miss out on a great game and some poignant backstory. Watching Empire Strikes Back is nice, but why do it without seeing A New Hope.

Red Dead is just as great in the narrative, maybe even more so. You need to finish the game just for the last hour of gameplay. Hell, even the last 10 minutes.  The entire game truly is an experience, and I did everything you could in it. The thing is, I could have been satisfied just riding around, doing nothing in particular.

• @Jermofoot:

@frimmel:

I just picked up ME2 and am about 15 hours into it. So far, I prefer the first one. They aren’t drastically different, but it’s the little things that make a difference. However, ME2 is still a great game. The narrative is just as strong, and you are once again immersed in well designed space lore. The only thing I want to point out for picking it up on PS3 is that someone screwed up by getting the sequel but not the original.  I dont know why they did that as they game carries decisions you make from the first to the second (and on to the third). You also miss out on a great game and some poignant backstory. Watching Empire Strikes Back is nice, but why do it without seeing A New Hope.

I think there is a download for PS3 which you watch a synopsis of the first and make some decisions on the way which creates a starting point for you with ME2. So not the full ride but something to get you started.

Red Dead is just as great in the narrative, maybe even more so. You need to finish the game just for the last hour of gameplay. Hell, even the last 10 minutes.  The entire game truly is an experience, and I did everything you could in it. The thing is, I could have been satisfied just riding around, doing nothing in particular.

In RDR it is pretty cool just to take a ride on your horse. However, even with that I don’t much like the checkpoint system. I spent rather a long time traveling to a story mission only to fall into a gulch (because it got like pitch black dark) and find myself entirely back where I’d started with nothing to show. For an open world game it felt kinda of stingy and cheap. And this was after unsatisfying experiences with poker and horseshoes. It rather dampened my enthusiasm. I want to finish it but always seem to end up playing BC2.

I’ve got a backlog of unfinished games (RDR, Batman:AA, The Saboteur and some Move titles) plus a few things I’d like to play again (Uncharted 1 and 2) and that is without a lot of the stuff I’m excited about this summer. “inFamous 2” and “LA Noire” and Augusta National is in the new Tiger Woods golf game and the idea of playing that with the Move controls has considerable appeal. Probably as close as I’ll ever have a chance to get. Might have to take up caffeinated beverages again.

• @Gargantua:

The whole FF series is J U N K.

No one likes that Crap,  Fallout was always a superior series.  And it was a PC game for ADULTS.

I know you are trolling, but:

I will admit that there are some subpar Final Fantasy games, but there are also some great ones spanning 5(!) console generations.  Many are being rereleased because they are classic.  Final Fantasy 7 to me was an epic during my high school days.  I rented a Playstation and the game just to play it, then bought both because it was so good.  It may not hold up to today, but it still has related content coming out over a decade after its release.

Fallout is great too, but it has also had some stinkers.  Many people don’t like the newest incarnations (that run fine on the consoles, BTW), or that number 3 and New Vegas are pretty damn similar.  Or even that it’s just piggy backing on the success of Elder Scrolls.

@frimmel:

I think there is a download for PS3 which you watch a synopsis of the first and make some decisions on the way which creates a starting point for you with ME2. So not the full ride but something to get you started.

Ah, well it’s something at least.  I realized afterwards that there are people playing the second without the first even on the 360, so I know the address that.  It’s just not the same as playing it though.  You know, building your badass team, seducing a squad member of whichever gender, tagging the blue alien chick, etc.  Actually, the newest Star Trek movie really reminded me of Mass Effect 1, although I know you disliked that movie.

In RDR it is pretty cool just to take a ride on your horse. However, even with that I don’t much like the checkpoint system. I spent rather a long time traveling to a story mission only to fall into a gulch (because it got like pitch black dark) and find myself entirely back where I’d started with nothing to show. For an open world game it felt kinda of stingy and cheap. And this was after unsatisfying experiences with poker and horseshoes. It rather dampened my enthusiasm. I want to finish it but always seem to end up playing BC2.

I’ve got a backlog of unfinished games (RDR, Batman:AA, The Saboteur and some Move titles) plus a few things I’d like to play again (Uncharted 1 and 2) and that is without a lot of the stuff I’m excited about this summer. “inFamous 2” and “LA Noire” and Augusta National is in the new Tiger Woods golf game and the idea of playing that with the Move controls has considerable appeal. Probably as close as I’ll ever have a chance to get. Might have to take up caffeinated beverages again.

Yeah, I get frustrated at save systems too.  I can’t stand to go back and redo an area I just did.  If anything, Oblivion and Fallout 3 taught me to save constantly, if I can.  Regardless, you have a masterpiece waiting to be completed and I urge you to knock it out.  It could happen in a weekend or so and if not satisfied, I’m sure you could trade it in for some big bucks still.  I enjoyed the minigames but they should have been in multiplayer in the 1st place.  Adding them in DLC is BS, IMO.  Although the Undead Nightmare DLC is supposed to be the best of the year.

Not enough time, too many games.  I know how it goes.  I feel the same way about many books I own, but not so much the games.  I generally keep it to a purchase every couple of months or so while trading in old games.  Very few I hang on to long term.

• @Jermofoot:

Long live to the Force! It’s always time to fly Nazca bird of fight against the Kraken one more time  8-)

• @M7574:

panzer general
    allied general
    rbi baseball
    civ

honorable mention:  tecmo bowl (football)

1. Battle Toads (SG)
    2. Super Tecmo Bowl (NES)
    3. Pitfall  (Atari)
    4. Double Dragon II (NES)
    5. Ninja Gaiden (NES)

I just dated myself also.

• @Funcioneta:

@Jermofoot:

Long live to the Force! It’s always time to fly Nazca bird of fight against the Kraken one more time  8-)

Hells yeah.  I picked up a Sega Genesis collection for the 360 with both of those on it…now I can get rid of my cartridges and Genesis!

• So I put some real time in with RDR this weekend. Haven’t finished so no spoilers please. I continue to be underwhelmed.

The big thing is I can’t see anything. Half the game is in the dark. It feels like a cheap way to make the game more difficult rather than an artistic choice for telling the story.

It keeps putting me on the opposite side of the map after a story mission from the next story mission or where you initiate the story mission and where the non-exposition part of the mission starts are pretty far apart. Comes across as a cheap way to make the game feel longer.

Again on can’t see anything and more reinforcement of the ‘cheap kills feel.’ A lot of animal encounters feel like the animal ‘spawned’ biting you. Maybe I couldn’t see it because of the cactus but then the animal just goes thru the cactus. Other times it’s on straight line charge until you pull a weapon. Of course if you were just skinning an animal you think you’re pulling a gun and instead pull the knife. Of course you have to select from the wheel in ‘real time’ and the thing is twitchy/finicky.

It often feels like the programmers aren’t playing fair with you or worse were lazy.

I’m not disliking the game overall but I’m just not finding what I inferred/what was implied I would.

• 1. Halo Reach (xbox360)
    2. Left 4 Dead 2 (xbox360)
    3. Modern Warfare 2 (xbox360)
    4. God of War 3 (PS3)
    5. Assasin’s Creed Brotherhood (xbox360)

• @frimmel:

So I put some real time in with RDR this weekend. Haven’t finished so no spoilers please. I continue to be underwhelmed.

The big thing is I can’t see anything. Half the game is in the dark. It feels like a cheap way to make the game more difficult rather than an artistic choice for telling the story.

It keeps putting me on the opposite side of the map after a story mission from the next story mission or where you initiate the story mission and where the non-exposition part of the mission starts are pretty far apart. Comes across as a cheap way to make the game feel longer.

Again on can’t see anything and more reinforcement of the ‘cheap kills feel.’ A lot of animal encounters feel like the animal ‘spawned’ biting you. Maybe I couldn’t see it because of the cactus but then the animal just goes thru the cactus. Other times it’s on straight line charge until you pull a weapon. Of course if you were just skinning an animal you think you’re pulling a gun and instead pull the knife. Of course you have to select from the wheel in ‘real time’ and the thing is twitchy/finicky.

It often feels like the programmers aren’t playing fair with you or worse were lazy.

I’m not disliking the game overall but I’m just not finding what I inferred/what was implied I would.

Certainly there is something to be done about the darkness. The night cycle is supposed to be harder to see, but not completely blind. Check the video options for the game and you tv.

The animal spawn thing can be a bummer…I remember the ninja cougar attacks. But you can get used to them and being equipped properly once you reacclimate to playing.

As far as the distance thing…work towards the best horse (3 types) and use fast travel. I enjoyed the trips as it gave me a chance to become familiar with the lay of the land, which helped with future missions.

Really though, I think the last bit of the game will be worth it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m