Make refundung non-deployed units optional and not default

• Founder TripleA Admin

Please make refunding units not placed during deployment and optional rule. The default should be the OOB rules; if you don’t use it, you lose it.

I don’t mind “house rules” for Axis & Allies 1942 Online but when certain rules are changed because it appears as if Beamdog thinks it’s best for the community, this perception from long time players irks them. It is also going to create problems at face-to-face events when the Online only players want to play f2f with those rules.

When the official rules change, then I’m all for implementing those changes to the online game.

What is the reasoning for this rule aside from, “we thought it’s easier to understand?”

Again, there is no reason for this rule change except that the Beamdog team thinks it’s better for the masses. To be honest, is it the job of Beamdog to rewrite the A&A rules or create an online experience that represents A&A play as closely as possible?

Aside: @smo63 you’re going to need to add A&A 1942 Online to your chart of game differences; there will be arguments over this at Gen Con for new tournament players who are coming from A&A Online.

• We never make any decision on a whim. There is the right-holder, there is the lead team, there are developers on the projects, there is a community, and people from all over the world are playing the game. As mentioned in the newsletter after Patch 5, we’ll be sending out a new survey about Axis & Allies 1942 Online.

• Founder TripleA Admin

Sorry, I didn’t mean to insult the team. They are very good and I do appreciate all of the work. And there are some amazing ideas in the mechanics of how to operate the game, especially in the last release.

However, when it comes to the game rules. The A&A community has been around a lot longer than Online. The community loves new ways of playing but they area also strong believers in the OOB rules being available. Maybe it doesn’t even have to be default. Even though tournament play is LHTR and maybe nobody will play OOB setup ever again; it’s there and it makes us feel at ease with the world.

Building for only the 80% can create a product that does not reach it’s full potential.

• @djensen
    @JuliusBorisovBeamdog
    In the past Beamdog has referenced the 1942 2nd ed. rulebook and FAQ-sheet as rules for the online game. Maybe it is time to think about a dedicated rulebook for the online version or at least a reference sheet for all the differences. It seems to turn out that the computer game has been a game based on OOB but is constantly developing towards a special edition. In that case that should be clearly named, IMHO.

• Founder TripleA Admin

Having a separate 1942 Online Rulebook would certainly shut everybody up (well it would shut me up anyway). :wink:

• With the patch #7, players must now deploy all purchased units during the Mobilization phase. IPC will no longer be refunded for undeployed units. We looked into this: the refunding rules of 1942 2nd Edition basically boil down to resolving human error when you’ve purchased more than you can place. Since we don’t allow that, players were ‘exploiting’ the refund by rolling back their purchase when things didn’t go their way.

• Founder TripleA Admin

Wonderful news! Thank you!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m