Hello, all! I’m the CM of Beamdog, and I’m so excited to make your acquaintance.
Best posts made by JuliusBorisovBeamdog
RE: Introduce or Re-Introduce Yourself (Feb. 2019)
Axis & Allies Online AMA by Beamdog on March 27 at r/boardgames
Next Wednesday (3/27) at 09am PT we will have an AMA session at https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/ about Axis & Allies Online with our community manager Julius Borisov!
Hope to see you there!
Patch #2: Bug Fixes & A New Starting Condition
Today we’re launching our second full patch for Axis & Allies 1942 Online. Thank you to all the avid strategists down in the trenches sending us feedback on our Early Access game!
Check out the full list of fixes and new features, including AI speed control, streamlined combat, and a brand new starting condition based on Larry Harris’ Gencon 3.0 Variant for Axis & Allies 1942 Second Edition.
We’ve scheduled a brief outage at 2:30pm PDT to perform the update.
AI ACTION SPEED CONTROLS
Control the speed of Computer Players’ turns in your games. Slow them down to learn some basics from the Computer AI, or speed up the turns to get back to the action faster.
- Available in Options -> Settings -> Gameplay
STARTING CONDITIONS: LARRY HARRIS VARIANT
Larry Harris’ Gencon 3.0 Variant is now available to play! Simply create a new game to select between the out-of-the-box setup, or Larry Harris’ revised starting condition, which modifies the initial board layout for Germany and the UK. This starting condition is available across all game types and modes.
STREAMLINED COMBAT BOARD EXPERIENCE
This patch reduces the overall number of clicks needed to assign hits and casualties. We’ve also added ways to assign casualties to groups of units, as well as an option to disable the dice rolling animation from the combat board itself. Players can now access a more detailed Roll Log that will show the results from the entire combat instead of just the current round.
Casualties can now be assigned to individual units in a stack without having to manually select them from the slide out panel. Simply left-clicking on a stack of
units will now automatically assign hits to the units within that stack, one at a time. The slide out panel is
still available for aircraft and Battleships, and will appear when those units/stacks are clicked on. Right-
clicking on units with casualties assigned will now remove a single casualty from the stack
Assigning casualties to a stack
Shift + left-clicking a unit will assign as many hits as possible to the selected stack. If this stack contains Battleships or air units, it will assign them intelligently (a single hit to each Battleship first
before assigning a second; assigning hits to lower fuel air units first). Shift + right-clicking a unit will remove all of the hits from the selected stack.
Disabling Dice animations
Players can now disable the Dice Animations using the toggle found under the Attacking Player lane.
Roll Log Improvements
The Roll Log will now show the results for all rounds in a single combat, and can now has some better sorting options for summarization. The new Roll Log will not work with combats retroactive to the update, but will work with any combats and games post-update.
OBSERVER MODE IMPROVEMENTS
When following another player in Observer Mode, any combats the player participates inwill now automatically open up. Players can now control the zoom level when following another
GAME LOBBY AND CREATE GAME IMPROVEMENTS
When creating a new game, there is now an option next to the Start Game button that will allows players to have the game auto-start when the lobby is full. This is set to “On” by default.
SKIP THE BEAMDOG INTRO VIDEO
The Intro Video can now be skipped by left-clicking.
MAC TOUCHPAD CONTROLS
More intuitive touchpad controls have been implemented.
- Pinch to Zoom to zoom in/out
- 2-finger scrolling to pan the map
BUG FIXES AND OTHER IMPROVEMENTS
- AI will not process other game states after hitting an error in one game state
- Fixed crash related to “Purchased naval units should not exceed available sea deployment locations”
- Fixed crash related to “cannot retreat to sea_zone_5 as there are no retreatable units remaining”
- Fixed crash related to “Aircraft Carrier in sea_zone_56 with direct call to move Unit: You must use move Aircraft Carrier to avoid leaving behind
fighters that cannot move”
- Fixed crash related to “cannot read property ‘addChild’ of undefined”
- Fixed crash related to cannot read property ‘commands’ of undefined"
- Fixed crash related to “AI can deadlock when committing combat move phase”
- Fixed crash related to “Cannot read property ‘dropTarget’ of null”
- Fixed crash related to "Error in transport drop: transport has no path to region “philippine_islands”
- Fixed crash related to “Cannot do a combat roll for a roll target that has already rolled”
- Fixed crash related to “AI Error committing phase: Aircraft could be saved.”
- Fixed crash related to “Error in GameController.cancelMoveUnit: Cannot cancel a move that has not yet been made”
- Fixed crash related to “AI Error in GameControllerAdapter.updateMapNote: GameController rejected with message: Error: Soft reload currently disabled: Original error: Game not found for id=5d56cda5a0060672af11946e.”
- Fixed crash related to “Error: No meeting destinations for a fighter promised to land on an aircraft carrier”
- Fixed crash related to “Error in GameController.moveUnit: Could not move to sea_zone_5, it is not a valid move”
- Fixed crash related to “[object Object]” when double clicking to add computer to a slot
- Combat Board: Fixed gamebreak where player cannot assign hits, cannot finish battle, cannot continue game.
- Combat Board: Artillery/Infantry link should be in correct order when infantry is amphibious but artillery isn’t
- Fixed: URE may fire for “Cannot read property ‘index’ of undefined” during combat
- Fixed bug that causes game to stall requesting player to assign damage when no troops remain.
- Fixed bug that let’s player get stuck with return to combat button, but no combat present.
- Fixed bug causing a large portion of the map to go gray after a combat.
- Fixed URE fires for “Cannot read property ‘usedStackCount’ of undefined” when applying hits multiple to infantry during an attack.
- Combat Board: Animated banner should be dismissed by keyboard input
- Hit selection panel does not close when using enter to accept
- Stability: Clicking multiple times to amphibious assault, no longer causes more units than you brought to appear in the Combat Board UI
- Combat Board: Ships will appear as expected in the Roll 2 lane
- Combat Board: Fixed bug causing black screen when clicking on a bomber on the raid board
- Aircraft Carriers + Fighters: Fixed bug causing player to be unable to mobilize an ACC underneath a fighter in a sea zone
- Main Menu: Fixed bug causing game list to appear empty
Big thanks from the development team to the Axis & Allies. org community for your feedback!
RE: Make refundung non-deployed units optional and not default
With the patch #7, players must now deploy all purchased units during the Mobilization phase. IPC will no longer be refunded for undeployed units. We looked into this: the refunding rules of 1942 2nd Edition basically boil down to resolving human error when you’ve purchased more than you can place. Since we don’t allow that, players were ‘exploiting’ the refund by rolling back their purchase when things didn’t go their way.
RE: Asynchronous Play - Some Questions
Asynchronous play means that the game allows players to take their full turn distinctly/asynchronously without other players needing to be in the game.
So yes, eg., player A does a move now, then logs out. Player B logs in two hours later and does his move … and so on.
The status of the game is saved on a server.
The offline game is saved to the user’s local drive.
The online games are all saved on our backend server.
RE: Q&A with Axis & Allies Online Developers, Beamdog
@DoManMacgee We’re fully honest. From the interview: “1942 2nd Edition provided us with a fantastic jumping off point in terms of creating a game that provided a lot of depth and complexity, but still approachable for new and experienced players alike. One of the main goals with Axis & Allies Online was to make a game that was approachable by any type of player, from the new and inexperienced, all the way to the veteran player who has logged hundreds of hours into the board games.”
And we’re listening.
RE: Grand Plans, 3rd Edition?
@Black_Elk I and David have tried something based on your suggestion on the first page of this thread. We skipped combat for all the powers during the first turn. And this (in my opinion) turned out great!
No combat during the first turn let the Allies protect most of their troops, it provided much more variety to the gameplay - each of the players could opt for several opening strategies with much less “known” moves in subsequent turns.
I’d vote all the veterans should try it.
Latest posts made by JuliusBorisovBeamdog
Axis & Allies 1942 Online is Out of Early Access
This is not a drill…
Axis & Allies 1942 Online is officially out of Early Access! We’re incredibly proud of our small team of soldiers for bringing this classic board game to audiences all around the globe!
The full release is available now, with full cross-play support for Windows, macOS, Linux, iPadOS & Android. Get it on Steam, GOG, the App Store, and the Google Play Store!
RE: Starting turn-based async game with computer AI
It’s totally possible. When you create a custom online game, pick Private in the Game Privacy toggle, and then you’ll be able to send an invite to your friend.
Axis & Allies 1942 Online AMA - r/boardgames
Ask us anything!
Head to reddit’s r/Boardgames on Friday, August 20, 2021 from 10am-12pm PDT for your chance to chat live with us about Axis & Allies 1942 Online!
Event: AMA with Axis & Allies 1942 Online
Date: Friday, August 20, 2021
Time: 10am-12pm PDT
AUG 11: Axis & Allies 1942 Online iPad Launch + New Languages + Season 6
On Wednesday, August 11th, 2021 we’re launching Axis & Allies 1942 Online to iPads, adding seven new languages to the game, and rolling into Season 6 of competitive play.
The following items will launch together:
Season 6 Launch
7 New Translations
PC Patch (Fixes/Features)
We’ll also be rescheduling our AMA (ask-me-anything) with r/Boardgames to August 20.
Axis & Allies 1942 Online for iPads - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/axis-allies-1942-online/
RE: Any News?
Patch 15 for Axis & Allies 1942 Online arrives today— and it is a BIG one. We’re completely overhauling the user interface, adding two new dice modes, plus many more features and fixes!
️Outage Notice: Please note that Axis & Allies 1942 Online will be unavailable from 9am-2pm PDT on July 13, 2021 as we roll out the new patch.
Today’s major update represents feedback from players all across the globe: from Steam Forums, Steam Reviews, Beamdog Surveys, Beamdog Support to this forum, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Discord, and more!
Huge thanks to our community of passionate players, and to everyone who tested out these changes in our Preview Build. We couldn’t have done it without you!
Read on for full details and try the update today…
RE: So with all the talk about low luck dice coming curious if anything is being changed about Random dice generator in this game?
@brian-cannon The preview build of the next update has 3 dice modes:
- Low Luck
This should address all the requests we’ve been getting and provide solutions in balance:
- players who respect the challenges of RNG and are ready to overcome not only the tactical approach of your opponent but also the difficulty of bad rolls will play with Random Dice
- players who don’t want to see “lopsided” results and feel they want “fair” dice will play with Biased Dice
- Low Luck fans obviously will play with Low Luck dice.
RE: No More Lane Rolling
How about that? It’s now in the preview build. https://steamcommunity.com/games/898920/announcements/detail/5761771209960330408