• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

First off:  I listed the Generals before the Admirals because the Department of the Army has seniority over the Department of the Navy.  I felt that was the only appropriate method to list them.  From there, I listed the Generals in order of seniority in their respective theaters. (Bradley was subordinate to Patton, I think he may have been made a superior later however, not sure.)

Secondly:  General Douglas MacArthur is the only officer listed without a middle initial.  I could not find a middle initial for him, it is nothing personal, I just don’t have the information, so it was left off.  It is completely possible that Gen. MacArthur never had a middle name.

• Where is Pappy?

And Bradley was Patton’s commander.

• '19 Moderator

If your talking about “Pappy” Boyington he was a Colonel

And I thought Patton had Bradley as an assistant in Africa when running the Second Corps, before he was re-assigned to the 3rd Infantry Division?

• '19 Moderator

Kind of he was an advisor, lower ranking than Patton, but he worked for Ike.  That annoyed Patton and he tried to get bradley put under him but it didn’t happen.

I like Mac.  His Island strategy was awesome. Encirclement and cutting off supplies.  Even though it was in Korea, the Ichon landings were clasic MacAurther style.  Of course he was egotistical and from what I’ve read a paining the ass to work for.  He was Eisenhower’s boss before the war.

Okay, but an adviser is subordinate to the field commander.  So that means Patton out ranked Bradley.

• '19 Moderator

In North africa, but in Europe Bradley was Pattons direct supervisor.

Bradly was the 12 Army Group Commander over 1st (Hodges)and 3rd (Patton) armies.

• No love for General McAuliffe?

Anyone who says “Nuts!” to their enemy when surrounded deserves a vote in my book.

• Bradley was subordinate to Patton from when they were at West Point through the Sicily campaign.

When Patton became active in Europe again post-D-Day Bradley had been promoted over him.

Bradley was also the last living 5-star general in the US.

@Jermofoot:

No love for General McAuliffe?

Anyone who says “Nuts!” to their enemy when surrounded deserves a vote in my book.

Sorry, I just pumped Famous American Generals into Google and added Bradley when he didn’t pop for some reason.

Anyway, if Bradley ended up in command over Patton, I apologize for listing them in the wrong order.  Even if Patton is more of a man then Bradley because he has the aura of being the leader of the 3rd Infantry Division “ROCK OF THE MARNE!!” :)  (Sorry, my old unit, I have to give them props!)

• The questions is who is your favorite American OFFICER, not general. Therefore Pappy should be on the list.

@M36:

The questions is who is your favorite American OFFICER, not general. Therefore Pappy should be on the list.

Yes, dear, but he’s not on the list. :)

So, of the men listed, who is your favorite?

Mine happens to be Bradley.  He has an adorable little assault vehicle named after him and he was an adorable little man.  Kinda plain looking, IMHO, but adorable in those cute little Yankee combat fatigues. :)

• '19 Moderator

@M36:

The questions is who is your favorite American OFFICER, not general. Therefore Pappy should be on the list.

You got me there, M36 votes for Col Greg Boyington :wink:

@M36:

By that reasoning you cannot vote for Admiral since they are not Generals. :P  I’ll attempt to reword the question to be FLAG OFFICER since Colonels are not FLAG OFFICERS that should satisfy you. :P

What surprises me is that no one is voting for Nimitz.  He has a carrier model named after him!

• That reminds me…are there no vehicles or class of such that hold Patton’s name?  Seems like something would be out there, or nicknamed at least…

• My favorite soldier is Sargent Saunders from Combat, followed by Audy Murphy.

This list should include all soldiers of the war including German. Micheal Wittman would be my #1

• '19 Moderator

@Jermofoot:

That reminds me…are there no vehicles or class of such that hold Patton’s name?  Seems like something would be out there, or nicknamed at least…

Pretty much every Main Battle tank developed by the US after WWII untill the M1 was called a Patton tank (M46, M47, M48, M60)

• @Jermofoot:

That reminds me…are there no vehicles or class of such that hold Patton’s name?  Seems like something would be out there, or nicknamed at least…

The M60 Patton Main Battle Tank.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m60.htm

• Thanks guys.  You’d think a simple GIS would uncover that, but no…

Yes, but tanks are effective and terrorizing.  I wouldn’t consider them cute and adorable like the Bradley Fighting Vehicle!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m