Handling Japan vs. Americans + Siberians + Yunnan Stack

• Another suggestion… if you expect a KJF you could do a J1 and attack the fleet in SZ26 as well as SZ35. This leaves the US significantly weakened in the Pacific. It will take them time to recover. If they bring all their fleet to Hawaii in U1 you can wipe it out with carriers and fighters from Japan. Two carriers and 8 planes will wipe anything the Americans can bring on U1. This should help keep them at arms length for a couple of turns…

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

UK can do some significant help to holding Yunnan without adverse consequences with a J1

Lol, now I just feel dumb. Duh! If you don’t declare war on the UK, then the UK has to declare war on you in order to stack Yunnan. Can’t believe I missed that. There are ways to work around some of the other stuff (stripping the Chinese coast to invade the Philippines, etc.), but there’s not much Japan can do about having UK Pac dump 3 ground units and 2 planes into Yunnan. That’s pretty decisive.

Thanks for reminding me of what should have been obvious. :-)

• Ooo, just realized… if U.S. is KJF then Germany going Sea Lion might be a good idea.  If the U.S. did nothing on US 1 for the Europe side, taking London and keeping it for a while is huge.  My last game I was able to hold it for good since, once you have London/Scotland, U.S. bombers can’t help in the fight.

• The other thing is it should free Italy to grab everything from gibraltar to syria. Even if Germany only threatens uk.

If they can do that italies income will rival uk. Then if still no US Atlantic fleet you can expand further

Brazil
    South and central africa
    Middle east
    Russia
    India.

I would say that italy gains the most from a pure kjf

• @thespaceman:

The other thing is it should free Italy to grab everything from gibraltar to syria. Even if Germany only threatens uk.

If they can do that italies income will rival uk. Then if still no US Atlantic fleet you can expand further

True, though if things are going well for Germany in Moscow, you just need Italy to take and hold Cairo for your 8th victory city and the win.

/I think my cleanest win was Germany getting Moscow, Japan getting Volgogrod, and Italy taking Cairo all on round 6.

• '19 '17 '16

@thespaceman:

The other thing is it should free Italy to grab everything from gibraltar to syria. Even if Germany only threatens uk.

Normally the UK can hold Egypt.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Argothair:

Does anyone have strategy tips for how to handle Japan when the Americans go 100% KJF, the Siberians leave all 18 infantry and both AA guns sitting in Amur, and UK Pacific + China both stack hard in Yunnan? Obviously you are not going to be sweeping the board against that kind of pressure, but are there ways to carve out and defend a medium-sized empire? Are there ways to guarantee survival past turn 8? Or do you just do what you can to slow the Allies down and hope that Germany can win on the European board?

I ask because my main strategy for dealing with a Yunnan stack is to bring the Manchurian & Korean troops south to attack it around turn 3…but if Russia is stacking everything in Amur, then I need those troops up north to defend Manchuria. Shipping enough troops south from Tokyo to deal with Yunnan while also keeping pace with the US Navy seems to rule out taking any of the money islands, so something’s got to give. What’s the first thing you give up as Japan when you’re under pressure?

• Yunnan?

• Manchuria?

• control of Pacific sea zones?

• money islands?

• something else?

Would be worse if Russia goes hard into China to assist in the Chinese defense.  A couple tanks, mech infantry and planes from Russia can really screw up the Japanese invasion in SE Asia, and if Germany doesn’t go to war with Russia early, the Russians will hardly miss them in the short term.

Of course, I think the solution is to have Italy spearhead into Russia and reinforce with Germany to push hard and fast on Russia to pull pressure off.  Then again, I have not played “professionally” (aka on these boards) in a long time so if you want functional details, don’t ask me. :P

• @Cmdr:

Would be worse if Russia goes hard into China to assist in the Chinese defense.  A couple tanks, mech infantry and planes from Russia can really screw up the Japanese invasion in SE Asia, and if Germany doesn’t go to war with Russia early, the Russians will hardly miss them in the short term.

Of course, I think the solution is to have Italy spearhead into Russia and reinforce with Germany to push hard and fast on Russia to pull pressure off.  Then again, I have not played “professionally” (aka on these boards) in a long time so if you want functional details, don’t ask me. :P

I’ve been debating with myself about this - I need to get back to playing AAA again - whether seeing a KJF AND Russian reinforcing China would mean Germany should blitz Moscow or go ahead and take out UK for good.  No UK means few or no planes reinforcing Moscow (unless U.S. does it), might open up Africa/ME for Italy (certainly does eventually), and no naval help for U.S. in the Atlantic, but means Germany doesn’t hit Russia til G5 when you can use your transports to take everything on the Baltic Sea coast (Baltics, Novgorod, Finland, Vyborg) and Karelia.  Also, depending on Russia’s buys and position, Eastern Poland or Bessarabia.  But that also means my German/Italian bombers aren’t hitting Moscow til G7 instead of G5, which I don’t like either.  Best case scenario is taking Moscow G8.  I wonder if Japan could hold out that long.

weddingsinger:

IMHO - blitz Russia, make them pull out.

Also, caveat - my definition of KJF does not require taking Tokyo.  If Japan has no fleet on the seas, then it’s dead. (Or if their fleet has run off to the Atlantic, same thing.)  This shaves off half a dozen rounds at least since now the US can just sit there and blockade while ANZAC cleans up the water, China the SE and India turns to assist in the middle east/Africa.  Eventually you’re sitting there with 10 to 12 submarines off the coast of Japan in which case, they may as well be dead.

• I am in fact in a similar situation myself in a current game. I’m focussing on the Dutch East Indies, the Chinese coast (including Kwangtung), and the naval defence of sea zone 6. I look like holding out until Germany can accumulate 8 VCs.

Pretty much all Japan can do against a concerted effort - keep em distracted and hope Germany can win.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m