Custom carriers from OOB's and painted pieces

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

I came across an excellent graphic while I was researching planes for Japan that showed the squadron markings for each of the big 6 carriers, which lead me to read about Takeshige Egusa, so I had to do his plane, along with appropriate Vals and Zeroes for each of the 6 major IJN carriers.  Airfix makes an orange Val that I found some photos of, and I wanted to keep at least one piece with the original plastic color on it, and it turned out that the orange Val was just right for one of the carriers.

20170610_232718_001a.jpg
    20170610_233236a.jpg

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

I bought some Oscars and Vals from HBG because I liked their Stuka G’s so much, and we wanted land based fighters for the Japanese forces in China.  While researching Japanese air units based there, I found a nice camo pattern on an Oscar, so I copied it for the fighter and tactical based in Kiangsu, and when they were done and placed on the board, our eyes bulged.  What great camo for those planes!  The Manchurian Oscars are based on actual planes that were stationed there, but the tacticals were just painted to match.  The black camo is showing signs of wear on the tail that need to be touched up.

20170610_234459.jpg
    20170610_234739_001.jpg

• ok, now you’re just showing off.  :-P  Outstanding job!  I have to get some of those brushes because now I’m jealous that someone has that much detail on their pieces and I don’t.  Haha.  Thanks for sharing!

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Awesome work again!

Cheers!

John

• Well, I have to skip a few meals, but I finally found where I dropped my jaw.  Keep showing off!  :lol:

• i have to keep coming back and looking at those planes.  makes me happy.  Where did you get those brushes?  was it a member here?  or was there I site I could order them from?

• And what kind and where did FJO find the pens?  Have ya’ll used any washes on the pieces?

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

Me and FJO went to see Dunkirk last night so I asked about his pens, and to my surprise he said he has replaced them with a 20/0 brush he bought at a craft store here in the states called Micheal’s. The 20/0 brush is even smaller than our Army Painter brushes.  Turns out Army Painter has a nice website, but they don’t ship to Europe.  They may have a European leg like HBG but I haven’t found one.  Good link to the brushes, if you cannot find them at your local hobby store: https://shop.thearmypainter.com/products.php?ProductGroupId=6

Wiki has some awesome pictures of the Japanese navy, which showed that their Fubuki and Akitsuki DD’s has their names on the middle of the hull, so the 20/0 brush got some action on DD hulls.  A quick note on the colors on the Fubuki- the yellow is an homage to the first ed. pieces and the orange is a nod to the current plastic color, both colors having a history with our group, so a few of them are rather “personalized” for our game.  Here’s a picture I took just before the dull coat application:

DSCN1387.JPG

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

BTW, we’d like to thank all the previous painted-pieces posters for giving us inspiration to paint our sets!  And thank you thetruegriffon, for liking my planes!  Here’s just a few of the carrier based Vals (the cockpit lines aren’t added yet).

DSCN1353.JPG
    DSCN1357.JPG
    DSC_0184a.jpg

You guys are doing awesome work.

When I paint some of my Japanese planes, I 'll be coming here for references. :-)

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

Thank you John, but you’ll find way better references using Google and checking the images your search returns.  For example, the squadron markings picture and carrier schematic mentioned earlier.

jap tac DragonOptions.jpg
    jap carrier_kaga.png

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

FJO’s Yamato and Musashi and the schematic I found using Google that I sent to him for reference:

DSCN1398a.jpg
    jap BB Yamato1945a.jpg

@DMcLaren:

Thank you John, but you’ll find way better references using Google and checking the images your search returns.  For example, the squadron markings picture and carrier schematic mentioned earlier.

Oh, I do, but some of those schemes, on the planes, I’ve never seen.

I didn’t know they had black colored planes, which was cool. :-)

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

When I googled the Japanese Oscars, the KI-43, I found so many cool paint schemes it made me want to buy 10 more just to paint my favorites.  I don’t recall what the history was behind the Val that was the inspiration for the black and grey camo, but it looked neat so I borrowed from it.  Its actually more dark green than black, but I needed a black tactical to go with the black KI-43.  These are the shots I used for a basis on the black pair.

jap fighter Ki-43-III-K0.jpg
    jap tac 65_26.jpg

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

FJO did 5 groups of 4 Fubuki destroyers, and I bought a few extras of the Akitsuki destroyers from HBG (we seem to have lost some Akitsuki’s from the set the came from, and took the few German ones we had and made then Japanese), so we have 5 of those as well.  Here are some Fubuki sets.

20170610_223040_007a.jpg
    DSCN1367a.jpg

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

2 more sets.

DSCN1368a.jpg
    DSCN1369a.jpg

And the Destroyer family photo:
    DSC_0133a.jpg

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

A shot of most of what’s painted so far of the IJN.  The camo fleet pieces are closest to the camera, with others in the Carolines sea zone (scroll right).  Note the unfinished Kongo in the Philippine Sea.  Finished Kongo BB’s are shown later in the post.

20170610_221622_001a.jpg

Thanks for the picture. Your Japanese fleet, is shaping up to be very awesome!

Cheers! :-)

John

• '17 '16

Officially Jelly…

• Wow! I love those Fubuki ships. Very distinctive, which is especially nice while playing  :lol:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m