• General, I have a small piece of vinyl battle board map. I will spray test that piece of vinyl and see what happens to ink.

• I also have vinyl battle boards that were cold laminated. I’m going to spray dull coat on one of them to see what happens and to see if it knocks the shine down without distortion.

I’ll have to ask my printer if they can get dull cold laminate thats not shinny.

• '17 '16 Customizer

@SS:

General, I have a small piece of vinyl battle board map. I will spray test that piece of vinyl and see what happens to ink.

looking forward to the results, I have yet to print a map, as I knew I would be making one, so why waste a couple hundred bucks…. but I don’t want to waste a couple hundred bucks picking the wrong material :(

thanks again for this topic, and thanks for the trial and error :P

• '17 '16

@GeneralHandGrenade:

Thanks Sired. With all of this white stuff on the ground CA is looking good right now.

No, no… Florida is where you want to be… Pensacola has very nice beaches… its 75 today… (I’m desperate for an A&A opponent, so sue me).

PensacolaAll.jpg

• '17 '16

@siredblood:

looking forward to the results, I have yet to print a map, as I knew I would be making one, so why waste a couple hundred bucks…. but I don’t want to waste a couple hundred bucks picking the wrong material :(

I printed on outdoor banner vinyl at my local big-box Fed-X print shop… cost me about $80 and $90 for my 1941 and 1942 vinyl maps, i have no complaints on either (see pics).

my1942custommap1.jpg
    my1942custommap5.jpg

• I personally have little issue with a little glare as long as it isn’t too much, I do like to have a protective layer on my maps.

• Offtopic

I have cool vinyl maps, lots of extra units organized in tidy bin-trays, and nobody to play with… I’m beginning to think all the people that play A&A live in Canada and Europe (snow must be a requirement to play A&A).

Too bad you don’t live in Vancouver :-(. I am the same. At least I found a few people to play lately.

• '18 '17 '16

I should just go on a North American tour and play you all.  8-)

• @GeneralHandGrenade:

Now that’s an exciting comment GHG :-D.

• @GeneralHandGrenade:

Stop here in Wisconsin on your way thru and play on this table.

image1(2).png

• @siredblood:

@SS:

General, I have a small piece of vinyl battle board map. I will spray test that piece of vinyl and see what happens to ink.

I did finally Spray that piece of vinyl with Rust-Oleum 2X Ultra Cover Matte Clear spray can. Did not run any ink. Made the vinyl a bit dryer and corners rolled up a bit but be good once it dried. Will be doing a 3 x 6 map soon once I can get to some good air outside.
    Helped alot with the glare. Kinda came out like using non glare plexi glass but it will be $90.00 cheaper to spray map. Give results soon with pictures before and after spray.

• '18 '17 '16

I will be interested how it holds up given some time. Keep us informed you might have stumbled upon something useful.

• I lightly sprayed my vinyl map with flat clear and it turned out fine. Ask the printer for a small sample of printed vinyl and test spray it first - that’s what I did.

• I finally tried spraying a flat finish on a vinyl map. Have pictures of a shiny map, a sprayed map and a small portable custom table for map and for the other 1 on 1 games of AA.

I sprayed 3 coats on vinyl map. Seems to be holding up real good. Just wipe off slight white film with a soft rag. Like Der mentioned above 1 lite or 1 coat should be fine. I plan on playing this game to death. So I put on extra coats. You’ll have to decide how much finish you need on map do to play. Will see how this holds up.

image1(14).png
    image1(15).png

• This pic is of IL’s map and I am making a custom table for these smaller 1 on 1 games. Will have the wing affect on end like my 2 custom gaming tables with 1 dice box and battle boards. I will post pics when I get it done. Guys in group looking to play this game.
    I’ll be able to take it anywhere I want to play.

Yes IL I know about the flooring. Just ain’t around. I’m still looking.

image1(13).png
    Battle Boards.png

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m