• This was offered as a really original idea by Adlertag ad HGD:

Commander as new unit

Hi Larry

Guess what man, I have playtestet the new Leader-unit. Now each nation should have 5 leaders each. One admiral, three generals and one air-marshall, all in nation specific plastic.

Leaders work like this:

If you attack with 5 inf and 2 tanks and a bomber the traditional way, first you roll 5 dice for inf and look for 1’s. Then you roll 2 dice for tanks and look for 3’s and at last one die and look for a 4.

Now if a Commander was in charge of this attack, you would roll all the 8 dice at once, and assign the 1’s to the infantry and the 2’s and 3’s to the tanks and one 4 or less for the bomber. Now this combat system will statistically favour the force that have a Commander, but not so much that it will break the game.

And the rational behind the idea, is that a competent and skilled Commander will coordinate the effort of the different weapons. The force of infantry, artillery, tanks and aircrafts will act as Combined Arms.

And of course the same system goes for naval units too. If a fleet of destroyers and cruisers and battleships are led by a skilled Commander, you roll all the dice in one big roll and assign the lower dice to destroyers and the higest dice to battleships and so on.

Maybe UK start the game with 2 admirals and 1 general, Germany start with 3 generals, 1 air marshall and 1 admiral, and Russia with 1 general. Then you have to develope new Commanders the same way you develope new weapons.

• nice idea. It would be interesting to have individual generals with distinct advantages based on history. Like maybe Von Manstein allows tanks to hit in the opening fire round in the first round of combat or something like that. And Zhukov could have something to do with the defence of moscow. just throwing it out there.

• Yea but remember its just one event per turn… perhaps with your idea you have a deck of different leaders ( which we have in AARHE) but we use this new benefit, but only for either land, sea or air so it will promote different purchases to use this benefit more.

example:  Germany could have: Herman Goering, Admiral Erich Raeder, and Von Manstein…

each German turn he must select only one and he cant use the same one until all the others have been used. the only thing he can control is what order he wishes to use leaders…

next he decides to bring out Herman Goering…

Example: Herman can send his planes over to any enemy territory and attack planes only, rolling everything together, so lets say he sends 3 fighters and 2 bombers and rolls: 3,4,1,4 which means he has 4 hits and hits go against enemy air units

Or Manstein is on defense and rolls a bunch of dice using all the units able to choose which hits rolled are from which units and this would minimize his exposure to the enemy, Also the card is played the moment the enemy attacks, so he may be making a big mistake… which is fun.

• I like it. japan suddenly makes a big break into moscow only to discover his 23 infantry will be defending on 3’s or something.

another alternative would to be somehow mark a tank a fig and a battleship (for general, air marshal and admiral) and have it cost X amount more than it normally would. You can only have one on the board at any one time and any battles he is involved in get the added affects. once they die you can purchase another one but never the same commander (you could have cards denoting the different commanders and their abilities and after they are killed put them in the discard pile.) when you buy the commander you can decide whether you want land sea or air but can’t choose the specific commander.

• I like it. japan suddenly makes a big break into moscow only to discover his 23 infantry will be defending on 3’s or something.

NO nothing of the sort….for infantry they still defend at 1-2, but the beauty of this ( brilliance actually) is that it promotes buying armor because they hit on 3 so when you roll out say you have 5 infantry and 5 tanks and roll:

2,1,3,3,4,3,4,3,2,6 with your leader, you got 7 hits but in the same example and rolls if you got 10 infantry you only got 3 hits!!!

thats what makes the idea brilliant, because it leads to less infantry stacks…

I think this is one of the best ideas to come for about a year…

• One more + karma to you Hun

I just postet a suggestion at HGD, and told Larry he could sell the Commanders as a Booster Pack that fits all the A&A games. This simple system will spice up Revised, Anniversary, Europe, Pacific, Bulge, D-day and any other game he makes.

The Booster Pack must contain spesific molds of the famous leaders.

Sovjet: Zhukov, Koniev, Rokossovskij, Thimoshenko, Tsjudsasevskij

Germany: Manstein, Rundstedt, Guderian, Rommel, Kleist, Kesselring, Model
    Admiral: Lutjens

UK: Montgomery, O’Connor, Mountbatten
    Admirals: Cunningham, Tovey, Somerset

Japan: Yamashita
    Admirals: Nagumo, Yamamoto

USA: MacArthur, Eisenhower, Patton, Bradley
    Admirals: Halsey, Nimitz, Spruance, Fletcher

Each land leader controll a Task Force limitet up to 12 units in any combination of inf, art, tanks and aircrafts. He rolls all the dice in one big roll, and then assign the dice to the units. All 1’s go to inf, and 2’s and 3’s to tanks and fighter. This system reflect that an intelligent and skilled leader will find better use of the dice.

And same in naval battles. An Admiral controll any combination of surface combat ships and aircrafts, limited up to 12 units.

12 units is a good choice because all A&A games come with 12 dice. But since Revised have 6 black and 6 white dice, maybe the limit should be 6 units then ? The need for a limit is playablility in big battles with huge inf stacks and rolling of 50 +  dice. In big battles as Moscow, there could be any number of leaders in play. But each country have a limit on leaders available, so it wont break the game.

• Looks like AH already made molds of Commanders to the Minis, so we just need to collect them and cannabilize them for better use in Revised

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/aam/ah20060306c

ZhukovRommelYamashita

Anyone happen to know the size of this Minis compared to the Revised inf units ?

Also Tamiya made plastic generals in 5 different molds, and the right size

• Yes i have these… they are perfect… goto ebay.de and the huns will sell you all you need.

I think these leaders need to be on cards and limited to X amount of units.

Also, look at AARHE leader cards, i think that list is more complete. Admiral Lutjens was killed in his Bismarck before the game even starts. I have that movie so i know.  :roll:

Admiral Raeder is better he can influence U-boat tactics

Germans need Kesselring too.

Now relax and check out the new game i have cannabilized like a good hun for my own purposes. I just bought 4 copies of this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIdugUnp6i4

• also the commanders can be cardboard tokens

now with general F.D.R in a territory, all inf attack on 5 and def on 1, all tanks move 3 spaces and all bombers roll 2 dice and artilery may retreat from attacks

franklin_roosevelt.jpg

• print out this commanders and make your own rules

dwight_eisenhower.jpg

• l

bertrand_ramsey.jpg

• oo

bernard_montgomery.jpg
    bernard_montgomery.jpg

• oo

erwin_rommel.jpg

• øøpp

george_patton.jpg

• tt

ivan_konev.jpg

• ss

adolf_hitler.jpg

• ooo

tomoyuki_yamashita.jpg

• '19 Moderator

Nice pics, I may use those for something…

• good

archibald_wavell.jpg

• it

chester_nimitz.jpg

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m