• '20 '16

The rules only state that certain terrain, limits certain movement, during combat. Is that accurate, or are we to assume those same movement restrictions during non-combat?

1.8 Mountains [Optional Rule]:
    Units are subject to Mountain rules on the first round of combat when crossing a mountain border and on all combat rounds in a mountain zone.

Movement: All land units (except cavalry) have their movement reduced to 1 when subject to Mountain rules.

• @captainnapalm said in Terrain movement restrictions:

during combat.

I dont see where it stipulates “during combat”

• @insanehoshi the first sentence of the rule.

• '20 '16

“Movement: All land units (except cavalry) have their movement reduced to 1 when subject to Mountain rules.”

When are they subject to Mountain rules?

“Units are subject to Mountain rules on the first round of combat when crossing a mountain border and on all combat rounds in a mountain zone.”

• @captainnapalm Fair enough.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

Hmm I thought the rules were meant to apply during non-combat movement as well. I think, as seems to happen with many rules in this game, we’re reading the same thing differently as it’s a bit ambigous.

1.8 Mountains (Optional Rule):
    Units are subject to Mountain rules on the first round of combat when crossing a mountain border and on all combat rounds in a mountain zone.

Combat: All Attacking land units have -1 Attack.

Movement: All land units (except cavalry) have their movement reduced to 1 when subject to Mountain rules. Units cannot blitz across an Enemy Mountain border or into Mountain terrain.

To me, the section on Movement is separate from that of Combat. Meaning, the Movement section applies to all forms of movement, be that combat or non-combat. But I think I see how you are reading the initial paragraph as the rule being specific to combat movement. But that also to me is just letting you know for how long the Mountain rules apply if attacking a Mountain border or full Mountain territory, not necessarily that that is the Mountain terrain rule, but that that is how you would apply the combat for the Mountain terrain rule.

Could obviously be wrong, but I’ve always played that terrain rules apply in combat and non-combat movements.

• @chris_henry that is how we have always played it, too, but I don’t see that in the rules.

• @captainnapalm I guess to me this is the rule:

Movement: All land units (except cavalry) have their movement reduced to 1 when subject to Mountain rules.”

That part of the movement section just says that it happens during movement, period, and doesn’t specify during combat movement. The sentence after that is just expounding on the fact that blitzing is a specific thing of it’s own and couldn’t be allowed either, but as a part to the wider rule of the terrain rule that encompasses all type of movement, combat or non-combat.

• @chris_henry Agreed

• Maybe to rule could be a bit clearer but mountains stay mountains at all phases of the game.

I have always played with the movement restrictions during non-combat also.

• '18 '17 '16

In this case I believe the rules are written clearly.

“Units are subject to Mountain rules on the first round of combat when crossing a mountain border and on all combat rounds in a mountain zone.”
    That statement is clearly referring to combat. Combat is about rolling dice.

The following paragraph in each section is clearly labelled “Movement”. That statement refers to moving in the specific terrain type.

I mixed it up the first time that I read it too. When you see that the first statement is referring to combat though you realize that it has nothing to do with movement. I hope that helps.

• @generalhandgrenade thank you for the confirmation. It sounds like we were all playing it the correct way.

As we look forward to V4, and try to iron out the wrinkles even more, I think the confusion of the movement paragraph is that it reads “when subject to mountain rules”, rather than simply “when subject to mountains”, or “when moving in mountainous terrain”, for examples.

The fact that the movement paragraph says “when subject to mountain rules”, and our only definition of when they are subject to mountain rules is in the above paragraph about combat, leaves it unnecessarily confusing, in my opinion.

Thank you for the feedback, everyone, keep up the great work, and have fun!

• A general question regarding mountain movements effects, when crossing a mountain border does that reduce movement like entering a mountain space? For example moving from Chita to northern Manchuria crosses a mountain border but the Manchurian space is not a mountain area. If a motorized infantry started in CHita would it end its move in Northern Manchuria or would it still have one movement point to spend?

• I believe there is a FAQ that states that when you start movement, you start right at the border, so the terrain of the starting zone doesnt count.

@Warwick I would say no. The mountain border reduces the movement by one, and it remains at one even when it gets to clear gorount.

• @warwick I’d have to agree with @insaneHoshi here.

The Example of Romania on page 8 of the rulebook seems to address this too:

“If the roundel is not located in terrain, but you need to cross a terrain type in order to reach the roundel from the border of the land zone, you are subject to “border terrain” rules. Border terrain rules for that terrain type last one round”.

So while that specific example seems to be talking about combat, it does still mention that the terrain rules apply when crossing a mountain border. I just mention that one since it’s using an example just like what you asked, if you cross into a territory with a mountain border, but the roundel isn’t in the mountains.

But also with the rule just being “All land units (except cavalry) have their movement reduced to 1 when subject to Mountain rules”, I’d think you have to take that at face value to mean crossing a mountain border reduces movement to 1, even in non-combat movements.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m