• A contested territory seems like an important concept to this game. What the heck is it? What are the mechanics to it? Why would I want a contested territory? Why isn’t it explained in the manual? Am I the dumbest person on earth?

• Official Q&A

See pages 11, 15, and 19 of the rulebook for what contested territories are, how they become contested, and how they become no longer contested.

• From a player’s standpoint, and aside from its definition, a player can use contested territories to their advantage to engage a force in one territory and stop it from being used as an offensive force on that player’s turn.  ie.  As AH player I end up in a contested battle with RU in SEV.  RU chooses not to attack on their turn, but just reinforce it.  Then on my next AH turn, the AH player can leave SEV, but leave just 1 INF.  The large RU force in SEV is not able to engage in any offensive attacks, except to attack and liberate SEV as its only move.  (this is just a simplification there are other factors involved that may nullify this action - but hopefully you see the point).

• Are battles only 1 round? Can I continue to battle for multiple rounds?

• @Carolina:

From a player’s standpoint, and aside from its definition, a player can use contested territories to their advantage to engage a force in one territory and stop it from being used as an offensive force on that player’s turn.  ie.  As AH player I end up in a contested battle with RU in SEV.  RU chooses not to attack on their turn, but just reinforce it.  Then on my next AH turn, the AH player can leave SEV, but leave just 1 INF.  The large RU force in SEV is not able to engage in any offensive attacks, except to attack and liberate SEV as its only move.  (this is just a simplification there are other factors involved that may nullify this action - but hopefully you see the point).

The attacking force can leave and attack another territory? But the defending force cannot leave and attack another territory? EDIT: After playing I see what you mean.

I got this game for Christmas. The mechanics are very confusing. Any YouTube videos showing how these new mechanics work?

• Hi Locke

Land battles fight one round of dice each turn potentially leaving the territory occupied by opposing powers and so contested. It is a core concept of 1914 and adds a lot to the game.

Armies in contested territories can move to friendly or other contested territories but not to hostile ones.

It is a great game Locke and well worth reviewing the rules to get all this right.

Cheers
    Adam

• @Private:

Hi Locke

Land battles fight one round of dice each turn potentially leaving the territory occupied by opposing powers and so contested. It is a core concept of 1914 and adds a lot to the game.

Armies in contested territories can move to friendly or other contested territories but not to hostile ones.

It is a great game Locke and well worth reviewing the rules to get all this right.

Cheers
    Adam

Thanks that helps a lot.
    Another question……
    I attack U.K.s fleet at their navy base. When do I roll for the mines? Before or after battle?

Can planes attack ships?

• Mines are rolled for each ship, one at a time , before the naval battle. All casualties are removed first. The surviving attacking ships then attack the defending ships.
    No, Fighters cannot attack ships in this game.

• Thanks for the answers.

Does anyone know where that is written in the manual? I wish it was written a bit better.

We started a game yesterday. So far we all like it. The battle board system is really good.
    I like how the game uses contested territories to simulate trench warfare. We will start round 5 today and see how Tanks effect gameplay. It will be interesting.
    Sub rules are different, no sneak attack and get fired on before submerging(not like 1940 rules), I got that right? Air superiority is a big boost. I was constantly using this in my battles since my opponent had his planes tied up in Russia. ( I am France, he is Germany)
    Not sure if I agree that the U.K. should be able to spend all ipcs in India. Maybe a 50% limit would be more realistic. So far though, 2 thumbs up.

• Official Q&A

@Locke888:

Does anyone know where that is written in the manual?

It’s on page 15.  The FAQ and Errata will probably also be very helpful to you.

• Just adding to clarifications, and please check out the FAQ and errata.

Combat on land is just one round and mandatory.  However in a territory that is contested, combat is optional (for all players - even to players that just moved into that territory).
    Combat at sea is optional and can be multiple rounds (active player’s choice). 
    Air units are free to move to any territory, unlike land units that have movement restrictions when starting in a contested territory.

The Russian Revolution procedure may not be entirely clear - please check out other posts - or feel free to ask any questions.  (BTW - Big fan here too).

• @Carolina:

Just adding to clarifications, and please check out the FAQ and errata.

Combat on land is just one round and mandatory.  However in a territory that is contested, combat is optional (for all players - even to players that just moved into that territory).
    Combat at sea is optional and can be multiple rounds (active player’s choice). 
    Air units are free to move to any territory, unlike land units that have movement restrictions when starting in a contested territory.

The Russian Revolution procedure may not be entirely clear - please check out other posts - or feel free to ask any questions.  (BTW - Big fan here too).

Thanks.
    If Germany and France are in a contested territory and Great Britain enters that territory for the 1st time I thought they HAD TO FIGHT.?

EDIT: I reread that part in the manual and it’s clear you are right. I gotta slow down when reading

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m