• My buddy and I have been quite addicted to this game lately, and this is about our 3rd play and we have run into several strange scenarios that the instructions are very vague on… The one issue we really can’t find any information on is this:
    1. Germany has one submarine in naval space 2, adjacent to UK itself.
    2. The conclusion of UK’s turn, they place their bought aircraft carrier on naval space 2, an obvious legal move based off what the instructions say.
    3. The U.S. takes its turn. During their noncombat move, they attempt to move two fighters to naval space 2, to land on the carrier.
    Is this legal?? Can the US just ignore the German submarine? Or, since it’s still technically a hostile sea zone, is this not possible?
    Or, another scenario, if the US fighters had attacked the German sub during its combat phase, could the UK carrier assist the fighters in the battle?
    Thanks in advance!!

• Morning liefarikson and welcome to the forum.

In Spring 42, a Sub does not make a SZ Hostile.
    The two US planes can land on a UK Carrier in non combat.
    It is on Germany’s next turn, that the Sub would have to move or Attack the Carrier, as the SZ is now Hostile to Germany (made so by the Carrier).

If the US attacked the German Sub (would need a Destroyer or the Sub could submerge), the UK Carrier could not join the battle, as it is the US’s go and not the UK’s. Alloes defend together, not Attack.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your games.

• Official Q&A

From the Rulebook, page 8:

Sea zones are either friendly or hostile. Friendly sea zones contain no enemy surface warships. Hostile sea zones contain enemy surface warships (this does not include enemy submarines and transports).

From page 20:

A multinational force cannot attack the same space together. Any units in a sea zone in which a battle occurs that belong to an ally of the attacker (other than cargo on an attacker’s ship) cannot participate in the battle in any way. Such units cannot be taken as losses in the sea combat and have no effect on defending submarines. Each attacking power moves and fires its own units on its own turn.

Also, from page 21:

Only fighters can land in a sea zone with a friendly carrier present. A landing spot must be available on the carrier.

There is no requirement that the sea zone containing the carrier be friendly, so even if the sea zone were hostile, the fighters could still land there.

• Thanks for the fast reply! I just want to ask, what version are these rules for? I could have sworn I have the Spring: 1942 (not the 2nd edition), but the rules in my book say on page 8:
    “Sea zones are either friendly (contain friendly units) or hostile (contain enemy units). They are never neutral. An unoccupied sea zone is friendly to everyone.”
    It then goes on to talk about neutral territories… It makes no reference to “surface warships…” Am I asking my question in the wrong version of the game? Is this the Spring: 1942 2nd edition?
    Thanks so much!  :-D

EDIT: I just looked up on amazon, and by process of what the box looks like deduced that the version of the game we have is A&A Revised Edition… So I will post my question there instead. Thanks so much anyway!!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m