• Does one exist? I went to HBG and clicked on pieces by country. If you pick an axis ally, you can choose what color you want. Since you start off on black by default, you get no indication what color you should be choosing for your selected nation though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• I’m not sure I’m grasping your question correctly.  HBG offers many different sets of combat units, and most of these sets are available in a range of colours.  The HBG website allows you to display the available choices either sorted by country or sorted by colour.  In terms of the models – meaning the physical shape of the units – some of the sculpts represent troops and /or equipment from the major A&A nations, while some represent troops and /or equipment from various minor nations on the Allied side, on the Axis side, or from amongst the neutral nations.  The page for each set includes a list of what units it contains and what nations they’re from, and also what colours they’re available in.  Generally, the colours fall into three groups: colours that match the current out-of-the-box ones from Global 1940, colours that match earlier ones from earlier A&A games (like the cherry red colour used by Japan in the original A&A PAcific game), and colours that are entirely original to HBG.  The page for each set will sometimes include suggestions about what minor countries might be represented by a particular colour, but they’re only suggestions; I don’t think there’s any single comprehensive list implying that such a design in such a colour necessarily denotes such a country.  Nor are the suggestions mutually exclusive.  The page for the WW2 Japan Supplement Set, for example, suggests that the “Japanese Red” version of that set could be used either as a supplement to the original edition of A&A Pacific, or to depict veteran Japanese units, or to depict Thai units…and the next line below immediately offers the alternate suggestion of depicting veteran or Thai units using the light rose version of these pieces.  So there no “one right way” to depict minors using HBG units.  You simply check their site to see what’s available and you choose whatever design-and-colour combinations appeal to you.

• I was hoping some sort of consensus had been reached by now for the colors of minor powers. I’ve been out of the loop for a while, again. Looks like I haven’t missed anything in this department. I’ve been bouncing ideas for 6 games around in my head for a few years now. I’ll have time to settle on one and focus on development for a while. Guess I’ll just just go with gives me a warm and fuzzy. Thanks for the info.

• @The11HP20:

I was hoping some sort of consensus had been reached by now for the colors of minor powers. I’ve been out of the loop for a while, again. Looks like I haven’t missed anything in this department.

That’s correct.  There hasn’t even been a consensus reached on what minor powers should be added to the the game, let alone what on colours they should be.  I doubt that there will ever be any definitive list, given that lots of people who’ve posted house rule ideas here have different tastes, different ideas, and different game concepts with different design objectives.  Which is good, because it adds variety and flexibility to the game.  Going with whatever you find warm and fuzzy is a very sensible approach.

• Warm and fuzzy it is then. Thanks for the input. I probably won’t run into that problem just yet. I think the first game I want to work on is only going to have one power not in any A&A games. That should he simple to deal with.

• If the nation you initially plan to add happens to be Canada, one approach that you might consider is an idea that’s been discussed in the forum in such contexts as possible house rules for the self-governing Dominions of the British Commonwealth: using the butternut-grey ANZAC pieces from Pacific 1940 2nd edition to depict Australia and New Zealand (and possibly South Africa too), and using the butternut-grey “ANZAC” (the designs are actually British) pieces from Pacific 1940 1st edition to depict Canada.  Same colour but different shapes.  The only adjustment required is to transfer some of the P40/2 ANZAC anti-aircraft guns to Canada because P40/1 lacks AAA sculpts.

• I know it sounds cheesy but if you have extra pieces and little money (especially with experimental games) you may consider a can of Krylon Fusion spray paint in the color of your choice.  HBG has a great selecetion of almost anything you could want but if you don’t have the funds and have a place to safetly spray paint, it could get you started.  Our group did this for our Global 1939 game and for some nuetrals that have been added to our Global 1940 set.  Just a suggestion.  There was some one asking about all of the extra French sculpts…use a few to make your new faction.

• Krylon is my friend. I decided a long time ago I like the maroon Soviet units in Revised. So my half of my Soviets are those pieces and all the stuff added in since is Krylon maroon. I refuse to play their stupid little games. Like Stalin said. “I do what I want.” 😜  :-P

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m