• Hello Everyone,

I just purchased Axis and Allies 1942 2nd Edition as my first axis and allies game. First off, I haven’t played a full game. I just played a few rounds with the girlfriend to get a hang of the rules. Unfortunately she isn’t a fan because “it’s too slow” but whatever, I’ll include her in my risk games and play this one with the guys haha. I ran in to a situation where I couldnt find the answer in the rule book. Lets say Germany goes to invade country X with one infantry and one fighter plane. Russia in the defending country has two tanks, two infantry and an artillery gun (Not AAA). The attacker rolls, no hits are scored. Then Russia rolls and takes out Germany’s infantry leaving him with nothing but a fighter plane. Now, Russia can’t attack Germany’s fighter, so can Germany just keep rolling until all of Russia’s units are destroyed (or really there’s no point in rolling). I understand a fighter can’t claim the territory on it’s own, but this seems a little unfair. Did I miss a rule or is this how it works? Are planes really this powerful? It seems like one would have to hoard AAA guns if fighters can just destroy everything.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my question!

• Morning Eclipse 1992 and welcome.
    Air units can be hit by ground units.

You have understood correctly that an AA unit fires at all Air units first and that if a hit is received an Air unit is lost, before it can even shoot back. But surviving AA does not then make Air units immune to other units. AA is just a defensive measure, adding a certain amount of risk to any attack involving Air units, as you cannot be sure if any of them will survive to fight on.
    An Air unit is still able to be hit by other units(not Navy) on their turn.
    If the defender, in your case, hits twice with his five units, you have to take two casualties. If you only had two and one happens to be the Air unit, it has to be taken as a loss.
    If he had not hit twice,as the attacker you could have retreated it, instead of continuing the battle.
    I hope this helps.

• Official Q&A

To be clear, any type of unit can hit any other type of unit unless the rules specifically state they can’t.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m