• Promise, the last dumb question i will ever ask here  (NOT)

I realize that the game is ultimately between two sides.

But to what degree should you communicate to the other powers on your side?

For example, should Japan say outloud “Ok, i am gong to put an IC on the main land”, and ask the German player  “ok, you squeeze Russia , we will meet up in the middle, and both of us go after Africa together”

I dont’ see it addressed explicitly…it could result in one dominant player effectively controlling the entire side…
    So it is simply “house rules”, or Etiquette", or what is the “gentleman” thing to do is this game of war?

• Of course it isn’t addressed explicitly.  There isn’t a Code of Conduct for Axis and Allies team play behavior, and what’s considered gentlemanly differs between players.

Some players will take offense at things you consider to be polite, and sometimes you will be offended by others that think they’re being polite.

That isn’t just Axis and Allies; it’s just life.  All you can do is your best.

I do like it when my partner treats me to lunch though :3

• thanks for your “philosophical answer”

I guess common sense prevails…maybe colloborate to a certain degree…but not cross the line……
    so maybe announce Strategies publically,  For example… Germany  and Japan  can say “lets go after africa”…

but keep tactics quiet…so in other words, Germany shouldn’t say “let me buy two ships and Japan, you by the tanks and artillery”

so some teamwork, but not TOO MUCH

• I like to play with people that break strategies down, right to the level of specification of what buys will be made up to 3 rounds in advance, along with contingency plans &c.

Planning.  Not smexay, but it does help u have a nice hot meal when camping (as opposed to cold granola ew)

• @saturnracer:

Promise, the last dumb question i will ever ask here   (NOT)

I realize that the game is ultimately between two sides.

But to what degree should you communicate to the other powers on your side?

For example, should Japan say outloud “Ok, i am gong to put an IC on the main land”, and ask the German player  “ok, you squeeze Russia , we will meet up in the middle, and both of us go after Africa together”

I dont’ see it addressed explicitly…it could result in one dominant player effectively controlling the entire side…
    So it is simply “house rules”, or Etiquette", or what is the “gentleman” thing to do is this game of war?

There are no rules for it since really depends on the players. If you are really competitive and only care about winning then 1 player needs to figure out the global strategy and give indications to the others concerning their moves, essentially . If you’re playing more for fun then everyone makes their mind and either side tries to coordinate it the best they can.

On our face to face games sometimes we use written notes to communicate between sides if we don’t want the other side to have a clue about what we are discussing. It limits the conversation from getting into too much micromanagement. Other times we simply discuss general strategy aspects at the start of our turn (never discuss anything openly while the other side is playing its rounds).

• I like to discuss my strategies openly for all to hear.

And when I do, I also like to twirl my moustaches and laugh like so:

“Nyehhehhehehehe!”

It’s quite liberating, actually.   :wink:

• I can’t see what could possibly be wrong with discussing strategy in detail with your partners while playing. What would be the objection to this?

Indeed, years ago when I used to play this game much more often, it was pretty common for all five players to discuss strategy for all five nations. We were teams competeing against each other–but in a sense we were also just trying to come up with the best game possible. So even if I was playing as Germany, the guy playing Russia might butt in while I’m talking to Japan to say “but if you do that, the UK might do such-and-such!” :D

On the opposite extreme, I can imagine some serious players retiring from the room between turns to discuss strategy in secret. Can’t see anything wrong with that either.

• @Bunnies:

I like to discuss my strategies openly for all to hear.

And when I do, I also like to twirl my moustaches and laugh like so:

“Nyehhehhehehehe!”

It’s quite liberating, actually.   :wink:

This seems to be the best way , to discuss  in the open.  Hopefully i won’t reach a point where we have to send coded messages, but hey, that might make for an interesting spin on the game ….hmm

• i think i understand OP’s point, i’ve run into it myself playing with newer-than-me players. i think it takes something away from the game for them if i just tell them what to do.  And i can imagine a situation where if i’m playing with someone i don’t know well,  and either i or they assume the role of supreme commander i think one could take umbrage.  I think it’s better if the dialogue were along the lines of, "i think it would be best if i were to…. " "well i thought a good strategy for me is… "  "well in that case, i think i can better support that strategy by… "  instead of “OK you need to buy X, Y, Z and on your first move use THAT THAT AND THAT to TAKE THIS”

• I just say if they want advice they can ask me for it.

Then . . . I laugh like so:

“Nyehhehhehehehe!”

• @Bunnies:

I just say if they want advice they can ask me for it.

“Nyehhehhehehehe!”

Oh rabbit, please take me down the hole ;)

• @Hobbes:

@Bunnies:

I just say if they want advice they can ask me for it.

“Nyehhehhehehehe!”

Oh rabbit, please take me down the hole ;)

Hey, a new player won’t know if its good or bad advice, so have at it.  like i tell my kids , half my advice is good, half bad.  I just don’t know which is which until you try it out.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m