• Risk Historical Edition:

Considerations:

1. Get chips like they have in Axis and Allies
    2. Buy a real copy of risk. That would be the one you buy in Europe (specifically Hungry or England). All three units’ molds actually look decent. The chips are now used to indicate more than one (white=1 army, Red = 5 armies, Blue=10 armies).

Units have new values: (Attack – Defence)
    Infantry:  1-2- cost 3 moves 2
    Cavalry: 2-2- cost 4 moves 3
    Artillery: 3-3- Cost 6 moves 2

1. At the start of your turn you count your territories and buy more units using the cost values.

2. The movement factor is the number of different attacks that can be made each turn. Each attack can be of unlimited duration. For example you can attack with infantry, taking a territory and then attack one additional territory. This constitutes 2 movements. Cavalry can perform this up to three times per turn.

3. During combat if artillery rolls a ONE result they may select the type of unit they want to allocate as a hit. Otherwise this is the choice of the defender.

4. During combat your cavalry can allow the retreat by the defender of units equal to the number of cavalry forces left defending at the end of a combat round. This is the only case where the defender can retreat.

5. At the end of combat all units that did not make any attacks can now move within your own territories equal to their movement allowance.

6. When you get cards they represent the actual piece you get as replacements. If the card is a wild card you get one unit each of all three types. For Example: if you get a Cavalry card then you may place this unit in your controlled territories. Cards are no longer turned in for growing sets.

7. As usual you draw your card at the end of your turn and you then get to place your forces

Optional rules:

Adding new units: (Attack-Defense-Movement-Cost)
    Frigates:  3-4-2-7. These units can pick up two units and drop them off as an invasion.
    Grenadiers (elite infantry): 3-2-2-5
    Generals: +1 for all units in territory in either attack or defense. Each player gets one General, when you conquer somebody you obtain the service of an additional general.
    Fortress/Forts: two rolls of 4 each round, both preemptive (no return fire from hit units). Each level costs 6. Place chips under to denote the value of the fortress.

Capitals: each player selects a home territory: this territory receives a free fort of 3 levels. If you lose your capital you lose the game.

Starting Armies:
    Each player starts with 100 point army and the free 3 level fort for his home territory. His home territory is selected first when you randomly select positions. You decide how your army will be constructed.

Imperious Leader-

• @murraymoto:

I think risk has its place, or places.

Exactly.  I am playing Risk with my 6yr. old stepson right now, wondering when the time is right to bust out the A&A.

perhaps the oldest thread resurrection ever?

• no way. i saw one guy respond to a post about 5 years old. I just left him alone to think a reply was forthcoming.

• @Guerrilla:

perhaps the oldest thread resurrection ever?

lol.  Well, I was just wandering around the forums and found it.  I wanted to give my two cents about it since Risk does get knocked quite a bit.

• @Imperious:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/viewitem.php3?gameid=1794

Dude, the game looks awesome!!!

• Why are the Philippines not represented in the game of RISK? This would solve the advantage Australia has during game play.

• You can dl the map and files for it

• @Jermofoot:

Risk is like a gateway drug:  it introduces you to bigger and better games.   :-D

amen

• If it weren’t for Risk there wouldn’t be games like Axis and Allies. Risk was a necessary step that led to the development of the better games that we have today.

• @Moony:

@murraymoto:

I think risk has its place, or places.

Exactly.  I am playing Risk with my 6yr. old stepson right now, wondering when the time is right to bust out the A&A.

amen

• I seem to remember a game called castle risk and if I remember correctly, that game did suck.

• Ugh risk is never ending at least A&A typically has a clear cut winner after turn 4…

• I played monopoly last night and almost got into a fight. I had bring out the Brandy and Rum to cool tensions.

• '10

@Brain:

I seem to remember a game called castle risk and if I remember correctly, that game did suck.

Castle risk is definitely broken. As for me there was only Risk and Stratego when I was a kid. AH games came later in high school when I was a memeber of the wargames club.

• Classic RISK Kind of Sucks.  It can deadlock.  The newer versions with secret missions are okay.

@Jermofoot:

Risk is like a gateway drug:  it introduces you to bigger and better games.   :-D

Yeah.  Growing up on RISK is apt to make one interested in Axis & Allies, Supremacy, Diplomacy, any area map war game.

@Battlingmaxo:

Castle risk is definitely broken.

Yup.

@cyan:

regular risk is ok, but i think risk 2210AD is much better. it gives you allot more options and connects Australia and South America to the rest of the world. if you ever have bad luck during placement you can always shoot for the moon.

Now there’s a game!  It’s no A&A (what is, really) but still very strategic and fun.  I have all the Front Line expansions and the five promo “Major” cards.

@frimmel:

I think that Risk:Godstorm is a blast. Summon Gods to aid you in battle, wage war in the underworld, sink entire continents.  Lots of fun.

I only played this once.  At the time I didn’t like it as much as 2210, but I’d like to try it again.

@Imperious:

Whatever you do buy Titlist Napoleon edition Risk… thats the bomb!!! its like axis and allies risk. it will cost you 50$ on ebay but its worth the price. They have generals and navys and its totally historical based. Not to mention you can allways sell your copy for more than you paid. Make sure you buy the ottoman expansion as well.

I’ve always wanted this, but lately decided it was probably too costly to justify for a RISK variant.  How much strategy is involved?  Please sell me on this!

• Risk compared to AA sucks.  But otherwise its OK at best- Risk 2210 is pretty decent.

• '16 '15 '10

K agreed that Risk sux compared to a&A.  But I’ve played way too much Risk in my day and enjoyed it alot lol.

I seem to remember Castle Risk being pretty cool.

• Risk was fun when we were young.

….butt then we discovered A&A, and that was a better game.

Risk is OK, butt miss a ship unit. Imagine how better it would be with seazones and a ship to transport your army to the place you realy want to attack.

• Risk is the gateway drug.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m