New Axis & Allies Global War Variant (free map)

• I guess it did, rats!

The orignial was done in paintshop pro. What are you creating this next version with?

As to ,pdf files. If its being done with a paint program, all the .pdf file will be is a .jpg in a .pdf wrapper. From a paint program, if not the original format then .jpg with some compression would be best. With drawing programs .pdf files are the bees knees.

When I printed the original I upped the size to 36" to fit my machine. This set the length to 75".

My pricing is $.03 per sq in. For square feet… Multiply by 144 gives $4.32 per square foot. 24 lb Coated paper, not glossy. + $7.50 shipping.

And there you have it.

-jim lee

• Put the Azores in SZ 31, then it will add alot of new ideas for germany who can now first the first time actually SBR america into submission.

And that way the americans will also view it as an important base because it can be an unsinkable aircraft carrier and mess with U-boats.

I spend ( wasted actually 1.5 hours) downloading PSP trial like 4 times and it never fully loaded… so i cant yet view the map w/o it pizelating. Please provide a PDF of this ASAP. That RAR extention converts to PSP and then its a mess.

http://www.geocities.com/acrawford0/portugue.html

info on the history of these islands.

• Don’t feel too bad. I spend an entire day getting the Photoshop pro trial program running just to find out it can’t center the image when printing. Well it can, if you don’t want it scaled… But it can’t scale an image this large… Sheesh Nightmare!

-jim lee

• Jim once you got it working can you PLEASE PDF this thing and post the map?

PSP extention is a load of crap!

• Below is what I have come up with for the Azores.  If the group likes what I have done, I will add it to the next draft.

Does everyone like the idea of it being a staging point for bombers?  What is the actual mileage could a WWII bomber actually fly from the Azores to America and back?

http://www.mediafire.com/?fnwqqmntmzm

• Imperious… This thing -is- a bit image therefor the pdf file is no better than a .jpg. The only version I have is the original. You want a .jpg of that?

Remeber : Just because its .pdf doesn’t mean you can scale it up or down. Its -still- a bit image.

-jim lee

• deepblue,

the colours on the map that Positronica did (the orangish Japan and all that) were fine by me.  I printed the adjustment you made, and that came out equally as well.  I have no problem with Russia, Germany, UK, USA or Italy in terms of colours.

Yeah as far as gameplay goes acouple of tweaks are needed I noted a few a while back. I don’t have my map handy but some anchors are dumb, cause they are. Coroline islands i think it is, doesn’t reach japan it should. The sea zones adjacent to Normandy and Spain  and the anchor don’t work. In other words useless to Axis. and they control it. Both sides of Japan need an Anchor.  I made some notes but I don’t have them with me I’ll get back to you.

• OK on Jpeg… but please maximum quality possible. I will print this out… perhaps ill pay you Jim? That way it will be decent.

Also on the azores i think the islands should be completely inside of #31… the aesthetic if the overlap of those lines into 32 does not look right IMO.

On the issue of bombing range… understand that germany does have to actually Control these SZ around the islands or the Allies will just invade and take out the air. I suspect this Azores thing will be a late war startegy for the axis which incidently would reflect on development of long range planes

In the beginning period of ther game probably serve the allies better as a ASW platform to attack by air enemy german subs.

• Ok, Imperious, no need to pay for an export. I just charge for printing, 'cause when that machine goes on, it bleeds money. The cost in ink is what kills you.

But what is it you would like? All I have is the original that started this thread, nothing of this new stuff everyone is exited about. Do you want a .jpg of the orignal?

-jim lee

• Yea something that when i expand it in illustrator CS2 it will not pixilate. The previous Jpeg is no good for printing. I can barely read the territories to check them.

When everythings done then ill get a print… but right now things are in flux

• Imp,

I agree with your aesthetic point, I am hoping to get more feedback on the Azores in time for the next draft.

What is your issue actually, with the file formats and all?  What are you trying to do, maybe I can help?

• Death Head 420,

Keep the game play input coming.

The ports/air field markers need a serious overhaul.  But let’s get the map the way we like it before we go to far down that road.

• Pdel21,

Thanks for printing a test of the new colors.  Invaluable input.

Jim,

Thanks for the info on the PDF file.  I did a quick Google search and found that TIFF is considered the best format for printing.  Do you find this to be true?

$4.32 a square foot WOW!! Now were talking.  Can you print on heaver paper?

• What is your issue actually, with the file formats and all?  What are you trying to do, maybe I can help?

Yes can someone please come up with an actual size Jpeg that when printed or looked at closely will not pixelate? Supreme quality… if not PDF then auto cad or some other extension…

what extentions do you have available under PSP format? Can you list what you got?

I am close to finished with AARHE and need to work on something else and that is to help you make the best varient possible.

I like the simplicity of your rules…. Id like to contribute some goodies to it but the map is the first step.

• Deepblue : What I’ve found so far is .jpg at 300 dpi with some compression to make it managable is best. I’m not fond of .TIFF 'cause its somewhat variable and many times the file is just huge without any noticable increase in quality. So far, and I’m new at this too, I’ve found that with these large printouts you can compress things pretty much without it being noticeable.

24lb coated paper is the heaviest I have now. And, until this is set in stone, maybe we should stick to the less expensive 24lb.

Imperious : To get higher dpi than the original, the map needs to be opened with Photoshop Pro and re-rendered at a higher dpi. { And this may or may not help. } I -think- this will only help the text and effects, but I don’t know. That initial image that this all started with doesn’t have all that much resolution. 100 dpi. at something like 32 inches.  It still printed fine for a playable gameboard. My PC is somewhat weak and can’t increase the dpi on this layout its too big for its memory.

Wrapping any bit image in some other file format will not make it scalable. Once its a bit image, your bits are set. Bigger images only give bigger bits. Some things do a better job at smoothing these bits than other things.

Why do many .pdf files print so well? Becuse they are usually vector images with mixed in very high resolution bit images. And vector images -are- scalable.

I hope this helps…

-jim lee

• Guys,

I’m not sure what the issue is with the jpgs.  Mine printed out really well on my HP plotter with crummy paper, (didn’t want to use the good stuff until a final map is ready).  I just printed out the map that was in the ZIP file that is on page 1 of this post.

• I agree that the Azores could be bit more to the center of the sea zone, I don’t think a slight nod away from reality of location is a big deal, much of the map is not quite to scale anyhow.

As for the colors, I think they should work fine.

• deepblue,

any chance you could post the latest draft, the last one I’ve seen is before the sahara and azores, (like back on page 9 of this thread)
    Thanks!

• It’s Friday!!

The second draft has arrived!

Gentlemen,

I plan to post new drafts on Fridays as long as there are enough changes to warrant one.

I have made the following changes from the first draft:

Added:
    The Sahara Desert.
    Chinese roundel.
    City area for Chunking.
    Victory Cities. (Not Final, figured it was time to start the discussion)
    Ceylon
    The Azores (I did not like the fact that they were the only islands in the Atlantic so I added a few more just for flavor if you don’t like them they can be removed or changed.)
    Bermuda
    Canary Islands
    Cape Verde
    St. Helena

Changed:
    Made Brazil Neutral.  (I do not like the way this looks.  I prefer to have some sort of contrast in South America.  This is purely an aesthetics comment.)
    Corrected Yucatan.
    Gilbert Islands are now British.

Reminders:
    When reviewing the map please consider both historical accuracy and game play.
    The image has been reduced by 50% for faster downloads. (Makes it a little fuzzy)
    Unfinished elements have been removed.
    This is a work in progress.

http://www.mediafire.com/?84zwmod2qrz

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m