• Sponsor

I made a video to help new players with Germany’s opening strategies, I hope it’s good advise (although I forgot to mention about landing a German fighter on Southern Italy) :|

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MnnfFb_-fc

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Really, enjoying your videos. It is always great to refresh my memory on rules. Thanks so much for starting strategy videos. :-)

• Great work, and I like the reasonings, young one  8-)!

Sound basic strategy indeed. Don’t worry about ‘things you might have missed’. Those things can be covered in your video’s for advanced play.

There may be some extra tips if you indeed plan video’s for advanced play:
    -I’d go for 1 extra sub against the canadian ships and also attack Southern France.

-In short, prudence is key for the axis. Don’t rush for Victory Cities. There is no such thing as winning the game with the axis if they take Moscow but loose half of Western Europe because of that. Or if they take London but cannot birdcage Russia as a result. Axis fare much better and are MUCH harder to take down (if at all :-() if they react to the allies instead of trying to maintain the initiative after the opening turns. Germany securing their western (and Italian!) beaches against the Wallies instead of ‘pushing into Moscow at all costs’ is a great example of this.

-But whatever Germany is doing, they must at least push Russia back into Moscow (not necessarily taking it). That is never open for a compromise. Russia allowed an income (>20 IPCs) = Axis will be screwed. After this, Germany only needs to make sure that their income (+ what’s left of the Italians’ income) tramples that of Russia + UK combined. If Japan can force the USA to focus all of their income into the Pacific (or at least 90%), the axis are looking unbreakable. Versus advanced axis players, I don’t see how the USA would ever be able to spend too much income in Europe anyway, because they either go ‘JF’ to begin with, or Japan reaches >90IPCs per turn, dwarfing the USA economy (rediculous anyway), making it very easy for Japan to force the USA to spend every dollar in the Pac…

• A fun video to watch… I found myself nodding ‘yes’ through much of it  :-)

I love the carrier purchase, for all the reasons you mentioned. It applies pressure to London, but ultimately becomes the bedrock of a great feeder fleet to grind Russia down. It can serve later as a sacrifice for SZ 91 landings, by extending air range and buying some breathing room with a well timed strike on a combined Allied fleet.

My only tweak to the purchase is to go with a carrier/destroyer/sub combo on G1. G2 can always be used for a massive transport build, and the extra fleet on G1 really gives you some teeth in the Atlantic. If you never go Sea Lion, you can always buy a transport a round for a couple turns and accomplish practically the same results.

Nice work!

• I always take out the UK Cruiser off Gibraltar with 2 SS ( don’t go after Labrador)

Between the Bid of a Cruiser for Italy and UK losing her Cruiser, you can save the Italian fleet.

I also use all the German naval units in Baltic, except the builds with two planes protect the 3 AP against whatever.

• Strategy for Europe or Global 1940
    (Note: sole difference is 3 total infantry ( 1 UK- 2 ANZAC in Egypt vs. 2 UK Inf.)

Germany 30 IPC
    Builds 1 CV and 2 AP
    Combat moves:
    To France 3 Art, 6 Tanks,4 Mech, 7 Inf
    To Yugoslavia: 9 Inf,3 Tanks,2 Art,1 Fighter, 1 Fighter Bomber
    To SZ #111 2Subs, 2 Fighters, 2 Fighter-Bombers
    To SZ # 110 1 Sub,2 Fighter-Bombers,2Fighters,2 Bombers,1 BB, 1 CA
    To SZ # 91 2 Subs
    Non- Combat Move:
    11 Infantry and 3 Art to Poland
    1 Infantry to Romania
    3 Infantry to Finland
    AP lands 2 Inf in Norway
    Place CV and AP with 2 planes in #113

• Sponsor

Thanks guys, glad to hear that there are only 1 or 2 very small differences between my video advise and your own strategies.

• Customizer

Hey YG,
    Like your video. Looks like we have very close to the same opening move for Germany. My differences are instead of 2 transports, I usually buy a sub/destroyer with the carrier. Also, I send my battleship to SZ 111 and often try to do just a strafing pass and retreat it back to SZ 112 as added protection for the rest of the fleet. If it works right, the Brits will only be left with a damaged battleship which I can polish off with subs later while I only lose the sub and damage to my battleship. If I end up getting a good roll and sinking all the UK ships, thus stranding any of my surviving ships in SZ 111, then it depends on how many UK hits I get.
    If there are 3, then the sub and BB have to go.
    If there are 2, then I might waste the BB and leave the sub to go after any left over UK ships or make it to a convoy zone. Or, I might take the damage on the BB, lose the sub and leave the damaged BB there to tempt the RAF. They might just take the bait which might save the Italian fleet from a Taranto.
    I usually tend to spread my subs out more. I send 2 to SZ 91 for that UK cruiser and 2 to SZ 106 for the Canadian ships. The last one goes to SZ 111.
    As for SZ 110, I go air heavy there: 3 fighters, 3 Stukas and 1 bomber. I usually come away with only 2 planes lost and all UK ships sunk if UK doesn’t scramble. If UK does scramble, I will lose more planes, but so will the RAF so that becomes sort of a toss up.
    I guess my land attacks are a little different too. I usually go after Normandy and sometimes even Southern France (depending on what I want to leave for Italy). I know this weakens the attack on France itself, but I will usually still have enough to beat them and take Paris. Also, I never strafe Yugoslavia then retreat to Romania. As Germany, I simply take Yugoslavia then move those forces to Romania or Hungary on round 2. I usually let the Italians have Greece.
    So, overall, I think your opening strategy and mine are similar. Yours is a little more conservative and mine is a little more aggressive. There are pluses and minuses to both.
    Success with your strategy leaves Germany in pretty good position with probably more stuff to carry on. Failure will leave Germany in still a fair position with a better quantity of units to recoup your 1st round losses.
    Success with my strategy leaves Germany in a great position but also somewhat spread out farther. Failure could be very bad for Germany as I stand the chance of losing more units which might set me back and take longer to strike out against the Allies.
    Anyway, thanks for the video. It was cool to watch and I like your explanations.

• Customizer

@Imperious:

I always take out the UK Cruiser off Gibraltar with 2 SS ( don’t go after Labrador)

Between the Bid of a Cruiser for Italy and UK losing her Cruiser, you can save the Italian fleet.

I also use all the German naval units in Baltic, except the builds with two planes protect the 3 AP against whatever.

Hey IL. So you actually have a bid for the Axis? All I seem to hear is clamoring for a bid for the Allies. In another thread here, one guy even suggests a Carrier for the UK in SZ 98, which I think would make poor Italy useless.
    I personally don’t care for bids either way. I have always thought the game was balanced just fine because we have had Axis and Allied wins here, although admittedly there are more Axis wins. It’s just refreshing that someone thinks the Axis might need a boost.

• Customizer

Hey YG,
    Something I forgot to ask about. I noticed in your video that you have already printed on the map your air and naval bases. Also, your convoy routes are much bolder and easier to see. Otherwise it looks like a standard Global 40 map. How did you get it with the air and naval bases printed on the map and the bolder convoy routes. I really like the convoy routes.

• Hey IL. So you actually have a bid for the Axis?

Only in Europe 40, Global the Allies get bid

• Sponsor

@knp7765:

Hey YG,
    Something I forgot to ask about. I noticed in your video that you have already printed on the map your air and naval bases. Also, your convoy routes are much bolder and easier to see. Otherwise it looks like a standard Global 40 map. How did you get it with the air and naval bases printed on the map and the bolder convoy routes. I really like the convoy routes.

Hey KNP, this map was a colaberation between Ambilzi and myself, I used photoshop to place the base icons everywhere, but I don’t know how Ambilzi enhanced the convoy and kamikaze symbols. here is where you can find the downloadable file if you want to print your own map…

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=31554.0

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m