Nation- (and City-) Specific Victory City Markers

• Customizer

There was some discussion on this topic in this thread: http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=27911.msg1270732#msg1270732

but I thought that I would start a thread for this project to gauge interest and see if HBG would be willing to produce parts like this.

The suggestion is to create markers for victory cities similar to the ones found in Fortress America (http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic1334266_md.jpg) with unique identifiers for each city.

My initial thought was to create a marker with a simplified landmark in the center for each and every victory city, but I think a better idea would be to create landmark markers for capital cities and use some sort of nation-specific marker for the rest of them (maybe a molded version of the nation’s roundel).

I would be willing to provide 3D CAD models for these markers if there was interest from the community and from a supplier like HBG.

Here are my initial ideas for landmarks to use:
    Washington D.C. - Capitol Building and/or Washington Monument
    Berlin - Brandenburg Gate
    Paris - Eiffel Tower
    London - Big Ben/Parliament
    Moscow - Kremlin and/or St. Basil’s Cathedral
    Rome - Colosseum
    Tokyo - Torii and/or Edo Castle

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Ossel, I think it is great. It definitely something, I would buy. Anything 3D, you can count me in on. :-)

• As a way of collecting suggestions, here’s an alphabetical list of the 19 Victory Cities in Global 1940, along with the initial marker proposals that Ossel made plus a few of my own.  Feel free to copy and paste with additional suggestions.

Berlin
    Marker suggestions: Brandenburg Gate

Cairo
    Marker suggestions: Giza Pyramids

Calcutta
    Marker suggestions: (Iconic but unfortunately in the wrong city: the Taj Mahal)

Hong Kong
    Marker suggestions:

Honolulu
    Marker suggestions: Aloha Tower

Leningrad
    Marker suggestions: the Winter Palace

London
    Marker suggestions: Big Ben/Parliament

Manila
    Marker suggestions:

Moscow
    Marker suggestions: Kremlin and/or St. Basil’s Cathedral

Ottawa
    Marker suggestions: Parliament Centre Block with Peace Tower

Paris
    Marker suggestions: Eiffel Tower

Rome
    Marker suggestions: Colosseum

San Francisco
    Marker suggestions: Golden Gate Bridge

Shanghai
    Marker suggestions:

Stalingrad
    Marker suggestions: (Iconic but unfortunately post-war: the “Motherland Calls” statue)

Sydney
    Marker suggestions:

Tokyo
    Marker suggestions: Torii and/or Edo Castle

Warsaw
    Marker suggestions:

Washington
    Marker suggestions: Capitol Building and/or Washington Monument

• I was considering doing something very similar with my anniversary edition. I decided on the landmarks I wanted (very similar to both your lists) but never had the time to actually CAD the models and get them cast. Depending on the level of detail, some of the buildings could take a while to model out.

Ossel, if you’re willing to put the time in I would love to get some nice city markers. Even if you can’t get someplace like HBG to make them for you, you could always get them printed from Shapeways. shapeways.com Put them up for sale and maybe even make a small profit. I know i’d buy a set.

Anyway, here’s my list:

USA - Washington - White House
    USA - Honolulu - Aloha Tower (alt-Iolani Palace)
    USA - Manila - Dr. Jose Rizal Monument
    USA - San Francisco - Golden Gate Bridge

Germany - Berlin - Brandenburg Gate
    Germany - Paris - Eiffel Tower
    Germany - Warsaw - Wilan�w Palace

UK - London - Big Ben
    UK - Ottawa - Parliament Hill
    UK - Calcutta - Victoria Memorial Hall
    UK - Hong Kong - Wong Tai Sin Temple
    UK - Sydney - Sydney Harbour Bridge

Japan - Tokyo - Sensō-ji (AKA-Asakusa Kannon)
    Japan - Shanghai - Yu Garden

Russia - Moscow - St. Basil’s Cathedral
    Russia - Leningrad �(St Petersburg) � Winter Palace
    Russia - Stalingrad � Old Steam Mill

Italy - Rome - Colosseum

• Customizer

@Nobel:

Ossel, if you’re willing to put the time in I would love to get some nice city markers. Even if you can’t get someplace like HBG to make them for you, you could always get them printed from Shapeways. shapeways.com Put them up for sale and maybe even make a small profit. I know i’d buy a set.

Thats…not…a bad idea… :evil:

Honestly though, unless there’s a lot of demand for non-capital cities, I might just end up going with my idea of having the city with the molded roundel. I just think not a whole lot of people will recognize off the bat the Aloha Tower or the Victoria Memorial Hall… thoughts?

• Sponsor

I would buy a set for sure.

• @ossel:

Honestly though, unless there’s a lot of demand for non-capital cities, I might just end up going with my idea of having the city with the molded roundel. I just think not a whole lot of people will recognize off the bat the Aloha Tower or the Victoria Memorial Hall… thoughts?

Since many of the cities on the list are in fact capitals, and since the rules don’t distinguish between capital VCs and non-capital VCs, I think that the best, simplest and most consistent option would be to have a single type of nationally-distinct marker for all VCs.  Using the national roundels as this distinguishing feature sounds good.

• @Nobel:

I was considering doing something very similar with my anniversary edition. I decided on the landmarks I wanted (very similar to both your lists) but never had the time to actually CAD the models and get them cast. Depending on the level of detail, some of the buildings could take a while to model out.

Anyway, here’s my list:

USA - Washington - White House
    USA - Honolulu - Aloha Tower (alt-Iolani Palace)
    USA - Manila - Dr. Jose Rizal Monument
    USA - San Francisco - Golden Gate Bridge

Germany - Berlin - Brandenburg Gate
    Germany - Paris - Eiffel Tower
    Germany - Warsaw - Wilan�w Palace

UK - London - Big Ben
    UK - Ottawa - Parliament Hill
    UK - Calcutta - Victoria Memorial Hall
    UK - Hong Kong - Wong Tai Sin Temple
    UK - Sydney - Sydney Harbour Bridge

Japan - Tokyo - Sensō-ji (AKA-Asakusa Kannon)
    Japan - Shanghai - Yu Garden

Russia - Moscow - St. Basil’s Cathedral
    Russia - Leningrad �(St Petersburg) � Winter Palace
    Russia - Stalingrad � Old Steam Mill

Italy - Rome - Colosseum

Your list is great and I would buy a set.

• Customizer

Well, it seems like there’s some interest. I’ll take a whack at it and hopefully post a preview by the end of the coming week!

• Customizer

Gentlemen…I give you…
    Paris!

Please let me know what you think, this is my first attempt and is obviously subject to change.

I based the marker size and the surrounding buildings off of the Fortress America piece.

The Shapeways suggestion was a good one…it allows me to do things that I wouldn’t be able to do with a molded piece.

paris1.PNG
    paris2.PNG

• Nice.  Distinctive enough to be recognizable as the Eiffel Tower, yet also reflecting the level of abstraction which is appropriate for gaming purposes.  I like it!

@ossel:

Gentlemen…I give you…
    Paris!

Please let me know what you think, this is my first attempt and is obviously subject to change.

I based the marker size and the surrounding buildings off of the Fortress America piece.

The Shapeways suggestion was a good one…it allows me to do things that I wouldn’t be able to do with a molded piece.

Yes, I agree. It is perfect for gaming purposes and will add a lot visually to the game.

• Very nice!

I’m going to take a guess and say you’re using SolidWorks?

What’s the diameter of the base? Might be worth making it slightly larger and putting the name of the city down in a semicircle around the base? If you do just the 7 primary cities originally listed it’s probably not needed, but the other buildings might start to look similar to each other. Just a thought.

Otherwise looks great. Can’t wait to see the rest!

• Customizer

Yes, it’s Solidworks.

Right now, the size is exactly like the Fortress America pieces, which seem quite big already to me. I can take a picture of a city on the G40 board for reference though. I agree that some of the “minor” cities might get confusing if you’re not an architecture major.  :-P

• @Nobel:

What’s the diameter of the base? Might be worth making it slightly larger and putting the name of the city down in a semicircle around the base? If you do just the 7 primary cities originally listed it’s probably not needed, but the other buildings might start to look similar to each other. Just a thought.

Alternately, if the restricted diameter of the pieces is too constraining, the name of each city could be inscribed on the underside of its base (if Solidworks lets you do that).  The identification is only needed to ensure that the right marker gets put on the right city dot on the map; once it’s there, the name doesn’t need to be visible on the marker itself because the name of the city is already printed on the map.

• Customizer

@CWO:

@Nobel:

Alternately, if the restricted diameter of the pieces is too constraining, the name of each city could be inscribed on the underside of its base (if Solidworks lets you do that).  The identification is only needed to ensure that the right marker gets put on the right city dot on the map; once it’s there, the name doesn’t need to be visible on the marker itself because the name of the city is already printed on the map.

Good Idea. This is definitely doable.

• Customizer

Ossel & others,

@ossel:

@CWO:

@Nobel:

Good Idea. This is definitely doable.

––The “poker chips” that most people use are 3/4 inch diameter. IMHO it would be great if these “City Markers” were NO LARGER than 3/4" if possible.
    ----BTW, whenever these “City Markers” are produced Sign me up as a DEFINATE SALE!

“Tall Paul”

• Customizer

Here is Berlin.

This one was admittedly more challenging, and I need to upload it to Shapeways to see if they can do some of the detail (the chariot on top, etc.).

Let me know what you guys think, obviously I can do more detail but this is going to be a tiny piece so I’m not sure how much will be visible.  As always, I welcome feedback and input. I’m thinking of dropping the “wing” buildings on the sides of the gate.

Yes Paul, these pieces are .75in diameter, so I think I like the size.

Berlin1.PNG
    Berlin2.PNG

• Customizer

Here is an example of the text on the bottom.

Berlin3.PNG

@ossel:

Here is Berlin.

This one was admittedly more challenging, and I need to upload it to Shapeways to see if they can do some of the detail (the chariot on top, etc.).

Let me know what you guys think, obviously I can do more detail but this is going to be a tiny piece so I’m not sure how much will be visible.  As always, I welcome feedback and input. I’m thinking of dropping the “wing” buildings on the sides of the gate.

Yes Paul, these pieces are .75in diameter, so I think I like the size.

Wow ossel, these pieces are amazing. :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m