Axis and Allies 1914 FAQ/Question and Answer Thread

• '16

@Commando:

I thought this was the appropriate thread? If not, where is the appropriate thread?

The new rules are actually just officially proposed rules to try out… To test it out for a future Tournament ruleset

Two-Movement thread:
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=31111.0

Tournament Rules thread:
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=31187.0

• Why does the rulebook and piece box always say 16 IPC for Ottomans, when the count on from her starting territories is 19 IPC?

How can they make typo’s for something like this? Do they even have a guy to proof these things?  WTH

• Customizer

This is Axis and Allies, not Flames of War.

• Official Q&A

Bulgaria doesn’t count.  It’s an aligned minor power, not an Ottoman original territory.

• OK that explains that.

• Also, when rolling for mines:

1. Do you roll for each ship separately, or face the issue of the owner taking Dreadnought hits and free repair?

2. Do you roll for mines if the enemy controls the land areas next to the sea mine?

• @Imperious:

Also, when rolling for mines:

1. Do you roll for each ship separately, or face the issue of the owner taking Dreadnought hits and free repair?

2. Do you roll for mines if the enemy controls the land areas next to the sea mine?

1. you roll for every ship separately
    2. if the tts with naval symbols are captured by the enemy, the sea mines were neutralized

Germany has 1 Inf 1Art 2 Fighters in contested Poland while Russia has 1 Inf 1Art 1 Fighter.
    AH moves in with 2 Inf 2Art.

Do they have to attack the Russians?

AH does attack.
    Will Russia have Air Supremacy?

France has 1 Battleship and Germany has 2 cruisers in SZ 15.
    A British Cruiser moves in and attacks the 2 GE Cruisers.

Will the french BS automaticly be involved in this Seafight when the Germans shoot back?

• Official Q&A

@Chacmool:

Germany has 1 Inf 1Art 2 Fighters in contested Poland while Russia has 1 Inf 1Art 1 Fighter.
    AH moves in with 2 Inf 2Art.

Do they have to attack the Russians?

No.  You are only required to attack when you move into a hostile or neutral territory.  All other attacks are optional.

@Chacmool:

AH does attack.
    Will Russia have Air Supremacy?

Yes.  Multinational forces cannot attack together (see page 22 of the rulebook), so the German fighters will not participate in the battle.

@Chacmool:

France has 1 Battleship and Germany has 2 cruisers in SZ 15.
    A British Cruiser moves in and attacks the 2 GE Cruisers.

Will the french BS automaticly be involved in this Seafight when the Germans shoot back?

No.  See previous answer.

• Thank you to all the veterans and soldiers out there; past, present, and the fallen.  You are real heroes.

A few questions about rules:

1. Can you load troops from a contested territory onto transports?  If so, can you load troop from a contested territory and then offload them right back into the same territory to get your bombardment bonus (assuming there is at least one battleship present)?
    2. Is there any restriction of naval movement through the dardanelles straight?  Are both sides free the move through there no matter who owns the attached territories?  Of course enemy ships and naval mines still apply, just want to make sure the straights aren’t completely closed to the allies.
    3. If you are playing with the Russian Revolution rules, and the Central Powers manage to force it to happen, does that mean that Moscow can no longer count at a capital towards victory?
    4. Just to be sure, you can load ANY combination of infantry, artillery, tanks, and planes on transports correct?

That’s all I can think of right now.  Thanks in advance!

• @Chacmool:

@Imperious:

Also, when rolling for mines:

1. you roll for every ship separately
    2. if the tts with naval symbols are captured by the enemy, the sea mines were neutralized

One thing we do differently when we play is we have the player roll the mine check for their own ships (seperatly and one at a time). Just adds an element of drama and controlling your own fate with the mines.

• Haha isn´t the Drama the reason why we all play A&A games?
    I hate mines. It´s unbelievable how often my transports were hit by 1s when beeing loaded with brave men ready to assault.  :-P

@Krieg thank you for the quick response!

• Official Q&A

@ryguy:

1. Can you load troops from a contested territory onto transports?

Yes, but they may only be offloaded into a territory that you either had units in or controlled at the beginning of the turn, or they may remain at sea.

@ryguy:

If so, can you load troop from a contested territory and then offload them right back into the same territory to get your bombardment bonus (assuming there is at least one battleship present)?

You could put them back where they loaded from, but it would serve no purpose.  Offloading into a contested territory is an amphibious reinforcement, not an amphibious assault, so there would be no bombardment.

@ryguy:

1. Is there any restriction of naval movement through the dardanelles straight?  Are both sides free the move through there no matter who owns the attached territories?  Of course enemy ships and naval mines still apply, just want to make sure the straights aren’t completely closed to the allies.

There are no special restrictions.

@ryguy:

1. If you are playing with the Russian Revolution rules, and the Central Powers manage to force it to happen, does that mean that Moscow can no longer count at a capital towards victory?

Correct.

@ryguy:

1. Just to be sure, you can load ANY combination of infantry, artillery, tanks, and planes on transports correct?

Correct.

• Customizer

Can you load submarines onto trains?

Seriously, it seems the Germans did this to send U-boats to the Adriatic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pola_Flotilla

Great use of strategic movement!

Note: Submarines cannot fire at aircraft while in transit by train.

• True the subs were moved by train but, as the article says…"which were moved in parts by rail to Pola and assembled there at the See-Arsenal of the Austro-Hungarian Navy "… therefore, for game purposes I think it only prudent that you make a stipulation that there must be a seaport/naval yard at the point where they disembark and enter the water.

• @Krieghund:

@ryguy:

1. Can you load troops from a contested territory onto transports?

Yes, but they may only be offloaded into a territory that you either had units in or controlled at the beginning of the turn, or they may remain at sea.

@ryguy:

If so, can you load troop from a contested territory and then offload them right back into the same territory to get your bombardment bonus (assuming there is at least one battleship present)?

You could put them back where they loaded from, but it would serve no purpose.  Offloading into a contested territory is an amphibious reinforcement, not an amphibious assault, so there would be no bombardment.

So whenever you offload troops from transports into a territory that was contested at the beginning of the turn and then proceed to attack, you will not get a bombardment?  You only get a bombardment when you amphibiously attack a territory that was previously uncontested?  What if it’s contested by an ally but you have no troops present?  Do you still not get a bombardment because it’s contested, even though you don’t have troops present?

• Official Q&A

@ryguy:

So whenever you offload troops from transports into a territory that was contested at the beginning of the turn and then proceed to attack, you will not get a bombardment?

Correct.

@ryguy:

You only get a bombardment when you amphibiously attack a territory that was previously uncontested?

Yup.

@ryguy:

What if it’s contested by an ally but you have no troops present?  Do you still not get a bombardment because it’s contested, even though you don’t have troops present?

You do not.

• I just started playing 1914 and had to accept another player’s interpretation of the rules to keep the game going.  He claimed if you attacked from a tt, every unit located in the tt had to attack or move to another tt.  None of the original units in the tt could stay behind.  I think he got that from p 17. “When attacking, all units in the space belonging to your power must attack”.
    Are you allowed to attack a hostile tt with some of your forces and leave some behind?

Another point of contention comes from p 15. If you move all of your units out of a contested territory and leave only units from the other side there, the other side will immediately claim the territory (see “Taking Control of a Territory”, page 20). If the territory was originally controlled by a power on the other side, that power will take control (even if it has no units present). …
    They are arguing that you must leave a garrison in every conquered tt, or it will revert to it’s original owner.  I contend the sentence is still dealing with contested areas only, and the only space you have to leave a garrison is for the CP in shared tts you want to still be able to move through.
    Do you have to leave a garrison in every hostile tt you conquer?

Why bother leaving a CP inf in shared tt unless you wanted a footpath to Sweden or Mesopotamia?  It seems a waste of manpower.

I am enjoying the game so far, but the last 2 times played I was constantly getting 1 hit on 6 defenders die.  Can’t win that way.

• Official Q&A

@Barindo:

I just started playing 1914 and had to accept another player’s interpretation of the rules to keep the game going.  He claimed if you attacked from a tt, every unit located in the tt had to attack or move to another tt.  None of the original units in the tt could stay behind.  I think he got that from p 17. “When attacking, all units in the space belonging to your power must attack”.
    Are you allowed to attack a hostile tt with some of your forces and leave some behind?

Sounds like your friend is confusing moving and attacking, which are not the same thing.  Units move from one territory to another, then they attack in the contested territory.  The restriction is that all of the units in the contested territory that belong to you power must attack, not that all of the units in the territory that they moved from must attack.  In other words, what happens in the combat phase has nothing to do with what happened in the movement phase, other than you are required to attack after you move into a hostile or neutral (not previously contested) territory.

@Barindo:

Another point of contention comes from p 15. If you move all of your units out of a contested territory and leave only units from the other side there, the other side will immediately claim the territory (see �Taking Control of a Territory�, page 20). If the territory was originally controlled by a power on the other side, that power will take control (even if it has no units present). …
    They are arguing that you must leave a garrison in every conquered tt, or it will revert to it’s original owner.  I contend the sentence is still dealing with contested areas only, and the only space you have to leave a garrison is for the CP in shared tts you want to still be able to move through.

You’re correct.  It clearly says “contested territory”.  It also says “and leave only units from the other side there”, which is hard to do if there are no units from the other side there.  :-)

@Barindo:

Do you have to leave a garrison in every hostile tt you conquer?

No.

@Barindo:

I am enjoying the game so far, but the last 2 times played I was constantly getting 1 hit on 6 defenders die.  Can’t win that way.

We’re glad you like it!

• Hi,

if i attack a submarine , when does the defending submarine decide to submerge ? after the attacker dice is roll and he sees if it will be hit or not, or before i roll the attacker dice ?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m