• If you wait until J4 to attack, India will make 21 IPCs turn 1 (from Sumatra), 24 IPCs turn 2 (from Sumatra and Celebes), 24 IPCs turn 3…

So, India could potentially have +23 Infantry if you attacked it turn 4, this of course is if they don’t attack Japan earlier.

• well, india does not always go for celebs, sometimes anzac is in a better position for it and the india tranny goes towards middle east.

• @ghr2:

well, india does not always go for celebs, sometimes anzac is in a better position for it and the india tranny goes towards middle east.

This is true, depends on who’s playing.  I for one enjoy having as much money for India as possible; especially if I feel that Japan is gunning for India- a couple turns after Japan declares war, India is down to building 1 or 2 inf/turn (with sub convoys).

• I like having the 7 ipc transport home safe and ready to be used which more than makes up for celebs which u would only have for 1, maybe 2 turns at best in a normal game.  Anzac can really use the cash to help build a navy to combine with the americans.  The idea is that if Japan is gonna wait until J4, it really does not make a difference if india takes celebs or not, india will still be huge, and almost unbreakable.  The transport will do a lot more good against Iraq and italy or can make help reclaim some islands later.  Since the allied player never really knows when Japan will declare until Japan makes it dead obvious or has already declared, I find it a lot more practical for UK to run the transport back, and anzac to take both DNG and celebs turn 2.

• @ghr2:

I like having the 7 ipc transport home safe and ready to be used which more than makes up for celebs which u would only have for 1, maybe 2 turns at best in a normal game.  Anzac can really use the cash to help build a navy to combine with the americans.  The idea is that if Japan is gonna wait until J4, it really does not make a difference if india takes celebs or not, india will still be huge, and almost unbreakable.  The transport will do a lot more good against Iraq and italy or can make help reclaim some islands later.  Since the allied player never really knows when Japan will declare until Japan makes it dead obvious or has already declared, I find it a lot more practical for UK to run the transport back, and anzac to take both DNG and celebs turn 2.

That requires a 1st turn Transport buy for ANZAC.  But I like your reasoning.  Not a bad plan, but I rarely get a player who waits past Japan 2 to attack nowadays.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

If you do a G1 with tank/mech builds you can hold Belarus on G3.  Now suppose Japan were to build 2 bombers J1, then an airbase in Chahar J2.  They could SBR Moscow and land in Belarus as early as round 3.  Do it again round 4.  Moscow falls G6.

• @variance:

If you do a G1 with tank/mech builds you can hold Belarus on G3.  Now suppose Japan were to build 2 bombers J1, then an airbase in Chahar J2.  They could SBR Moscow and land in Belarus as early as round 3.  Do it again round 4.  Moscow falls G6.

This could definitely help.  Could hurt on the Pacific board, but could help. Have not seen this done yet.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

me neither.  just an idea.

• G1 attack - it becomes a psychological game rather than just a units and dice game. As a Russian player you need to reperceive what your role is. Instead of thinking “I have to hold out and if Moscow falls I’m doomed and all is lost” you have to instead think “how can I make life most miserable for the Axis while I set up long term economic advantages on the perimeter”.

Of course, you don’t have to really say those words.  :-)

Russia will fall. Get used to it. It’s part of this game. Good Allied players recognize that Russia falling is precisely when the real game begins.

Just having that mindset can mean everything.

• Another way to look at it is the ying-yang principle - being aware of balance.

If your German opponent is buying all expensive units, like mech infantry, armor, and bombers, then what do they not have? Lots of cheap infantry.

What can the Allies do then to counter that? Create the structures needed to get lots of cheap infantry into the middle of the board. 5 armor and a couple aircraft are an expensive way to kill a stack of 10 infantry  :-D

Is your opponent going north with all their expensive mech units? Be strong south. They go south? Be strong north. Stretch them out. They aren’t defending the flanks with their headlong strike toward Moscow? Attack the flanks. Not building enough navy and fighters? Set up a navy-killing structure in the Atlantic.

• If Japan is waiting until turn 4 and Germany launches Barbarossa turn 1 then UK is the key to winning that game.  Start a transport convoy from Union of SA to Egypt and take Persia round 1 so you can complex it round 2.  Get UK pac up to 20+ (easily done with j4 DoW) and begin linking UK forces from Africa and Asia into Persia.  With the presumably heavy casualties Germany will suffer taking out Russia, the UK force in Persia should be quite a match by turn 6+.  UK might not be able to win the attrition battle against a German controlled USSR, but a join SA, Persia, India complex chain (even Egypt if you have lots of money) should be able to hold out at least until turn 10 or 11.  Plenty of time for USA to get into the action.

• Also, if you have a feeling your opponent is going to blitz Russia like that, make your bid 12 IPC and place 4 Russian infantry on the front lines.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

What if Japan takes South Africa?

• What if Japan takes South Africa?

Another great bonus to Japan waiting to start the war.  Lot’s of transports.  Can’t get into Calcutta…… lets go get some africa money.  Generally won’t be a large navy over there to contest.

• Japan may be able to take any IC that the UK has/builds in Africa/Mideast.  A Japan that does a J4 along with sending its entire fleet into the Indian Ocean to take Egypt is tough to beat along with a successful German G1.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m