Texas declared independence from Mexico today in 1836

• Today, the 2nd March, in 1836 Texas declared independence from Mexico.
    Its first(interim) President was David Burnet, a lawyer born in New Jersey, who found himself in Washington on the Brazos when news of Travis’ plea came from the Alamo. One of his first acts as President was to move the capital nearer the small Texan navy and the United States. . He chose Harrisberg. In the meantime Sam Houston, commanding the Texan army, withdrew on news of the fall of the Alamo. Houston was to best Santa Anna, the Mexican President and General of its army, at the battle of San Jacinto on the 21st April. This battle led to a peace treaty with Santa Anna.
    Houston was to be Texas’ second President and he favoured joining the United Stares. Another faction, led by Lamar,  favoured staying independent. The almost ten years of Republic were difficult ones with incursions by a Mexico, which never considered them independent and problems with Indians, especially Commanches.
    Texas joined the United States on the 29th December 1845, with Austin as its capital,  becoming the 28th State.

• '12

Interesting facts witt!

I find it fascinating that the army of Mexico could not conquer the nation of Texas in the late 1830s and most of the 1840s.  No wonder 75 years later they didn’t want to take on not only the army of Texas but that of the United States during WW I!

I always appreciate reading your factoids!

• Thank you. Sometimes I am reminding myself of something I read or learnt about years ago, other times they come as just as a surprise to me.
    Only with US Civil War and a few other subjects can I write without reference.
    I am happy for anyone to challenge what I write; some times authors  do not agree.
    This one was for my friend, Worsham, who is lucky enough to live in this most interesting State.

• @MrMalachiCrunch:

Interesting facts witt!

I find it fascinating that the army of Mexico could not conquer the nation of Texas in the late 1830s and most of the 1840s.  No wonder 75 years later they didn’t want to take on not only the army of Texas but that of the United States during WW I!

I always appreciate reading your factoids!

Had Sam Houston not been in Texas I beleive Mexico may have beat the small Texas Army. The Mexican Army had sought an alliance with the Cherokee Indian Nation but Sam Houston had lived with the Cherokee people at one time and was able to get the Indians to side with the Texans.
    I don’t think the Texans could have foughtand won a two front war.

Sadly after Houston’s first term as President, Lamar took office and made war on the Cherokees.  :-(

• Wittmann is an honorary Texan!

• '12

ABWorsham, so your natives helped beat the Mexicans off then lived or rather died to regret it.  The natives around here were promised the Michigan area by the British for helping the colony of upper Canada ward off an American invasion.  So how did that native nation of Michigan work out for them?

A friendly poke at Garg…. I’m no racist but I don’t mind giving the natives a few bucks a month just for being native and the losers of their lands.  Kinda like screwing some guys wife then buying him a beer later because you kinda feel a bit guilty.  Prepares for the incoming western volley!  :-D

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

The problem isn’t buying a beer for the guy’s wife you screwed.

The problem is when some little 8 year old kid shows up at your house asking for support payments until he’s 80.  Because your great great grandma lied to his great great grandpa on the playground 300 years ago.

• '10

At the time of the civil war Gov. Sam Houston of Texas refused to secede from the union. I think he resigned as gov. as most of the state wanted to join the confederacy.

• '12

Garg, still laughing out loud at your analogy.  Good one!!!  Man I can’t wait to have a drink with you and da boys!

Fishmoto, I didn’t know that about Sam Houston.  Thanks.

Was in San Antonio a few weeks back, and saw the Alamo. Always a fun site to see in this hallowed state.

GG

• Me too Garg. Cannot see why it would warrant a negative score.
    Made me smile.

Would certainly visit the Alamo if I ever got on that plane……

• http://www.geni.org/globalenergy/library/national_energy_grid/united-states-of-america/americannationalelectricitygrid.shtml

Still independent today…got this one from “How the 50 states Were Made”  Three different power grids…

Home of the Schlitterbahn, Jennifer Love Hewitt, and Franklin BBQ!  What every man needs…water parks, boobs, and food!

• @Fishmoto37:

At the time of the civil war Gov. Sam Houston of Texas refused to secede from the union. I think he resigned as gov. as most of the state wanted to join the confederacy.

Sam Houston was prophetic in the his discussions with secessionist in his last days as leader, He spoke of the South getting cut in half by losing control of the Mississippi and about a smothering blockade of ports if the South decided to fight.

• If any of you are traveling Houston on I-45 just out of the city is a 100’ statue of Houston. It’s a nice memorial to visit.

• I’m also from Texas, and as a youngster I had a romantic vision of my state’s history, particularly it being independent and the fate of the Alamo.

Then I got older, read a bit more, and am not as disillusioned anymore.

Texas is the only state to fight two wars over slavery (AFAIK), winning the first and losing the second…

• '17 '16 '15

Yea there’s nothing wrong being from texas(I guess) and being proud of it

texas isn’t so bad when florida,alabama,mississippi,georgia and louisianna are thrown into the mix

sorry:)

now that I reread this it sounds a little harsh  I have friends(ha ha) from canada ,alabama and I used to know a couple hot blondes from east texas

FandG

• Texas produces some really hot women. I love my state.

• March 6th 1836: the Alamo fell to Santa Anna’s army.
    It had been besieged for 13 days and despite repulsing two attacks the 187 men inside the Mission could not hold off the third and final one. It is thought Santa Anna commanded just under 2000 men, so the outcome was never in doubt for the fewer than 200 defenders, despite their better quality. Perhaps as much as a quarter of the Mexican attackers were casualties. It would seem the defenders had decided to sell their lives dearly so as to give the rest of the fledgling nation time to mobilise to fight the threat to their newfound independence.
    The Alamo’s defence roused the nation and brought new recruits to its defence and Santa Anna was defeated soon after and vengeance had for the “massacre”.
    Two well known American Frontiersmen perished at the Alamo: Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie. The Alamo is the most visited tourist site in Texas.

• Oops! Sorry guys.
    Why do I never know what date it is?
    The 6th is tomorrow!

• @ABWorsham:

Texas produces some really hot women. I love my state.

No doubt.  Kentucky isn’t bad either (although the Appalachia area produces some scary folk).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m