Hearts Iron 2 and Gary Grigsby's world at war

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

@Imperious:

Nor did you simply say,…for me, these games take way too long.

I would AGREE WITH YOU COMPLETELY that these games take a long time!

1. It’s not a good game if you don’t have time to invest playing it.

2. Some people don’t have multiple days to deal with a GAME

3. You confuse the time it takes to play a game with complexity.

4. just spend countless hours just making one move. Got it.

Right based on these quotes: I SAID NOTHING ABOUT THE GAME TAKING TOO LONG.

Actually, i just played a game in 30 seconds. Loaded it, and then exited the game. It’s just like Axis and Allies!

I agree with “tall Paul” 100% as usual.

What do you all think?

“Imperious Leader”

part 2, Tall Paul is a decent guy, so watch the crossfire…

• Personally I think this is another one of your “I can never admit when I’m wrong” episodes.

And part 2, Tall Paul is a decent guy, so watch the crossfire…

Personally, i think you just posted about 25 times more than [usual about the best save I can muster].

Personally, I hope you enjoy every single one of the [posts edited by GG].

• Those posts would not have been edited, only yours.

• IL what is your assessment of ‘a world at war’?
    Pretending that I have the time to play it

• It is the easiest one of the bunch to play. But try Strategic Command. It is alot more like AA and they also have a ww1 version.

• TripleA '12

I have Gary Grigsby’s World At War and found it a but too unintuitive. I also have Hearts Of Iron 1 and 2 (Doomsday) and as much as I love A&A, I think HOI2 is the best WWII game I have EVER played, seriously. It’s that good.

@Lozmoid:

I have Gary Grigsby’s World At War and found it a but too unintuitive. I also have Hearts Of Iron 1 and 2 (Doomsday) and as much as I love A&A, I think HOI2 is the best WWII game I have EVER played, seriously. It’s that good.

IL likes those “unintuitive” versions.  :)

But I’m with you Lozmoid!

• I just like the ones that are like AA. Call them what you like.

• @Imperious:

Axis and Allies is a light wargame, it’s plays quick easy compared to HOI. The OP was asking if Hearts of Iron was essentially similar in play ( this is how i took it).

He didn’t even mention A&A. He just asked if HoI was good.

Go ahead and advise the OP to waste his money on it thinking it’s like AA.

He said that he already has it, not “should I get it?” It seemed more like you just kinda took a chance to bash it.

@Imperious:

So then by your logic if you’re very busy all the time, then Angry Birds is the best game ever made and every other game is terrible and not worth spending cash on, because if you don’t have time, it’s not good.

4. just spend countless hours just making one move. Got it.

That kinda tells me that you don’t understand how the game works. Left click stack of units, right click target. Move is done. What takes time is PLANNING your moves, and watching them unfold. Anticipating your military needs months before the front actually requires them, trying to force pockets and avoid encirclements, changing your strategies as they go on, etc.

I like you, IL, but you just kinda seemed like you jumped on a chance to bash a game you personally don’t like.

HoI3 actually lets you dumb down the game even further than A&A if you so choose. You could potentially automate every single part of the game and just name an objective for your HQ’s. Then it’s really only as complicated as you want it to be.

Kdf,

Let’s just say that some people missed the “dumb down” feature.

Even though it was right in their face…

• He didn’t even mention A&A. He just asked if HoI was good.

He didn’t have too. He posted it here on the AA forums right?

He said that he already has it, not “should I get it?” It seemed more like you just kinda took a chance to bash it.

It is possible to have an opinion that it sucks right?

Quote from: Imperious Leader on February 12, 2013, 07:57:31 pm

So then by your logic if you’re very busy all the time, then Angry Birds is the best game ever made and every other game is terrible and not worth spending cash on, because if you don’t have time, it’s not good.

That would be you’re logic. I don’t have ALL DAY to be playing that game, some people do. There is nothing wrong with disliking the fact that you need to invest 15 hours to finish the campaign.

That kinda tells me that you don’t understand how the game works. Left click stack of units, right click target. Move is done. What takes time is PLANNING your moves, and watching them unfold. Anticipating your military needs months before the front actually requires them, trying to force pockets and avoid encirclements, changing your strategies as they go on, etc.

HoI3 actually lets you dumb down the game even further than A&A if you so choose. You could potentially automate every single part of the game and just name an objective for your HQ’s. Then it’s really only as complicated as you want it to be.

I want to control everything in the game and still have it the same complexity as AA and finish in 3-4 hours tops. Where do i toggle that?

• @Imperious:

He didn’t even mention A&A. He just asked if HoI was good.

He didn’t have too. He posted it here on the AA forums right?

It is possible to have an opinion that it sucks right?

Quote from: Imperious Leader on February 12, 2013, 07:57:31 pm

That would be you’re logic. I don’t have ALL DAY to be playing that game, some people do. There is nothing wrong with disliking the fact that you need to invest 15 hours to finish the campaign.

I want to control everything in the game and still have it the same complexity as AA and finish in 3-4 hours tops. Where do i toggle that?

IL, there are few PC based strategy games you can complete in 3-4 hours.  The best that I can come up with is Civilization V on an extra small map.  Honestly I can’t think of any game with the complexity you are asking for that can be played in such a short period of time.

HoI3, while amazing, does take several 3-4 hour gaming sessions to complete- depending on what your goals are.  There are smaller scenarios, such as barbarossa, overlord, etc.  Also, in HoI3, if you automate nothing, then it will take a very long time to complete.  I usually automate static fronts so they respond to invasions-  such as automating the German forces in France & Norway while I concentrate on invading Russia.

• IL, there are few PC based strategy games you can complete in 3-4 hours.

Not true at all. I did suggest Strategic Command which lets you finish in like 2 hours. That’s what i recommended to the OP before.

• Well IL, I did say few games, not no games.  Without having played strategic command, it does look a lot like a simplified hearts of iron game.  Having said that, it doesn’t look like I would be able to play strategic command in 3-4 hours- looks more complex than that.

• It is like AA, real simple and fast paced. It conveys all the drama of WW2 in just a couple of hours without any fuss. It came out before HOI btw.

• So there is no confusion this is the version i recommend, because it turns out they got like dozens of versions… ( didn’t know that)

• So its just Europe then?  Where would I get this?  What do you think about the other versions?

• Yes just Europe.

Its about $15 bucks BTW at Battlefront.com

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m