Portable A&A World at war board

• Hi!

Just wanted to post some pictures of my new portable board for A&A. Its made for a 800x1200 mm map. It can be folded in two with the two “side boards” containing dicetrays, battleboard etc tucked inside. When set for gaming it measures 1000x2000 mm. Have custom made IPC-chart, Development charts and battle board. Im also building paper trays for unit storage but havnt decided if im going all black or make them in the countries colors.

mmnet.se/WAW/WAW board.JPG

• ![](http://mmnet.se/WAW/WAW board.JPG)

• Sponsor

Looks awesome! Good job, you have some very unique ideas.

• '18 '17 '16

Nice table! I’m thinking about to make a new one for me and my friends and your design looks very interesting. What kind of material did you use? How did you connect the sideboards to the table (or are they connected? I can’t see it on the picture….)

• Customizer

DiscoKnect,

@DiscoKnekt:

Just wanted to post some pictures of my new portable board for A&A. Its made for a 800x1200 mm map. It can be folded in two with the two “side boards” containing dicetrays, battleboard etc tucked inside. When set for gaming it measures 1000x2000 mm.

––Nice job. What would your board measure in feet & inches?

“Tall Paul”

• '17 '16 Customizer

Very well done! Looks you really put some thought into the design and practabilty of the design. Impressive.
    What game map is that? I havn’t seen a AA board like that one.

• Thanks for comments and fixing the image link.  :-D

The board is in Sweden called MDF (Medium density board), 8mm. I wanted to build it as light as possible since you should be able to carry it. 8 mm was almost to thin for the screws, had to drill all the holes before screwing. Then its primed and painted in dark olive green.

The “side boards” are not attached to the big piece and im not sure if they will be.

The map is from a friends “World at War” add-on, scaned and edited in PS. Made some cosmetic fixes, added the “northern passage” over russia (we havent tried it yet) etc.

Left to be figured out is how to cover the “hole” that will be in one end when its folded in half, have to be some kind of lid to protect the map and the plastic sheet covering it. I also want to make a better way to keep track of upgraded and damaged factories!

• '18 '17 '16

MDF (Medium density board), 8mm

Is this stable enough? I build my travel table of MDF, 12 and 16 mmm, and it’s rather “flexible”. However, in any case, I need a desk to put the board on.

Left to be figured out is how to cover the “hole” that will be in one end when its folded in half

Don’t fit the sideboard parts into the “hole”? I can’t figure it out from the foto, weather the sideboard consists of one or more parts.

• At this point i think its stable, the sides are 50 mm high and does alot to increase stability. We have our first game in a couple of weeks, i will report after! :)

The side part is made of two pieces, i think i wont attach them to the main part to begin with and see how that works.

Right now im folding paper trays so my finger bleeds :)

/Micke

• Customizer

It’s really too bad you didn’t make the side piece so that it would fit into the inner portion of the main board where the map is.
    You could even make a simple cover to keep the pieces inside from falling out all over the place. It’s a great idea you have there though.

• It does fit, u place the two pices on top of eachother (they are only 40 mm high, the man board is 50 mm outside = 42 mm inside). The space is 600x800x84 when folded, the two pices on top of eachother are 500x600x80. That leaves a 300x600x80 space and my plan there is to make box of wood or paper to store units, dices etc!  :-D

@sgtwiltan:

It’s really too bad you didn’t make the side piece so that it would fit into the inner portion of the main board where the map is.
    You could even make a simple cover to keep the pieces inside from falling out all over the place. It’s a great idea you have there though.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m