• Axis achieve victory for controlling 8 victory cities on the european side or 6 victory cities on the pacific side for one complete round of play. What does this mean? Example: Germany takes its 8th victory city. Russia takes it back. Japan then takes it back. USA takes it back, and UK reinforces. Italy then takes it back, giving axis 8 victory cities. Anzac and France can’t liberate a victory city. On Germany’s next turn, axis control 8 victory cities. Do the axis win? They didn’t control eight victory cites for a complete round, but they had 8 at the end of their last turn and now have 8 at the start of their turn. It would have been nice if the rulebook defined the victory conditions a little better. I have no idea the definition of a complete round. Also have victory conditions changed since the first addition, and if so what was that change?

• The ‘Full Round’ counter would reset each time it is recaptured.  So it wouldn’t be until Italy’s turn (barring Allies recapturing one of the cities) that victory is acheived

• Sponsor

@elzario:

The ‘Full Round’ counter would reset each time it is recaptured.   So it wouldn’t be until Italy’s turn (barring Allies recapturing one of the cities) that victory is acheived

I always thought that it was at the end of a round, like if they hold them after France’s turn.

• This question has been asked before on the forum as I copied it to an FAQ sheet for some of the guys I play with.  I think one of the old hands clarified it to be one full round from whoever captured the victory city last.  Am just trying to find it now

• Sponsor

That would be tough trying to hold them all for a whole round, but also trying to keep track of when you have them all, and for how long.

• @Young:

That would be tough trying to hold them all for a whole round, but also trying to keep track of when you have them all, and for how long.

You may be right actually, from the rulebook:

The Axis wins the game by controlling either any 8 victory cities on the Europe map or any 6 victory cities on the Pacific map
    for a complete round of play, as long as they control an Axis capital (Berlin, Rome, or Tokyo) at the end of that round.
    The Allies win by controlling Berlin, Rome, and Tokyo for a complete round of play, as long as they control an Allied capital
    (Washington, London, Paris, or Moscow) at the end of that round.

I would say that when it infers “end of that round” it would just mean after Frenchy’s turn.

Although here is a qutoe from another thread on Victory:

@knp7765:

Oh yeah, Cow is right. I forgot to put in that you have to control those victory cities for one full round to achieve victory.
    For example: Germany captures the 8th victory city. If at the beginning of Germany’s next turn the Axis still has 8 victory cities, then the Axis win.

The link: http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=27795.0

• Sponsor

Crazy… I’ve played many games where the allies won by axis surrender, and they never controlled a single axis capital.

• I have never seen Allied win via the VC’s - always surrender.

Another topic on the issue: http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=29281.0

• I haven’t seen an official answer to this. I saw this vagary after my first reading of the 2e global rules.  Until I hear otherwise I’m going assume the game ends if a side controls the needed number of VCs after France’s turn is over.  The game is long and complex enough as it is, it doesn’t need additional length or complexity.

• '12

@P-Unit:

Until I hear otherwise I’m going assume the game ends if a side controls the needed number of VCs after France’s turn is over.

I’m still amazed people are coming up with this alternate interpretation.  How can you possibly control for a complete round of play if you didn’t even have enough at the start of Germany’s turn?

• Seems to me a complete round of play is pretty self explanatory.  When every team has gone 1 time, that is obviously a complete round.  If Germany takes the final VC and every team goes without taking a VC back, axis win.  If Italy takes the final VC and every team goes without taking a VC back, axis win.  Same formula for all other countries.

• @A&A:

Axis & Allies is played in rounds. A round consists of each power taking a turn.

Order of Play: Germany -> France
    One must assume after France concludes it’s turn that a round is complete.

Nowhere is a Round defined as the start of an arbitrary nation to the start of that same nation. Otherwise, all nations that haven’t gone in that Round would not meet the “each power taking a turn” rule.

That’s why I disagree.

• @P-Unit:

@A&A:

Axis & Allies is played in rounds. A round consists of each power taking a turn.

Nowhere is a Round defined as the start of an arbitrary nation to the start of that same nation. Otherwise, all nations that haven’t gone in that Round would not meet the “each power taking a turn” rule.

That’s why I disagree.

I think the definition could go either way.

Round (n.)
    1. Sometimes, rounds. a completed course of time, series of events or operations, etc., ending at a point corresponding to that at the beginning.
    2. Any complete course, series, or succession.

I think the definition of round in the first circumstance supports the France ends the round argument, but the second definition lends support to the “everyone-plays” round definition.

At the end of the day I think it is fair to play whatever definition you like, but as always in my games we always make clear these sorts of rules before play so it lessens arguments down the track.

• I think the second part makes it quite clear.  Nowhere does it say that Germany thru France is a complete round, but it clearly states that each country taking a turn is a round.  Just doesn’t seem fair if Italy takes the final VC and the only countries that have a chance to take them back are Anzac and France.  I’m fairly certain that in over 90% of games played those two countries (especially Anzac) wouldn’t have a chance at taking any city back on the Europe theatre.

• With that being said I agree with elzario,  the guys playing should decide at the beginning of the game on the definition of a round.

• I wish Triple A would fix this error.

–Jeff

• '12

@P-Unit:

@A&A:

That’s why I disagree.

That definition supports the everyone must play rule.  If a round is defined as each power taking a turn, then to hold for a complete round, every power must have a turn.  If you don’t hold for every power, then that isn’t a complete round.

• Summoning Mr Krieghund, Mr. Krieghund come in please!  :evil:

• '12

Quoting from the FAQ thread (http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=28562.msg1062028#msg1062028):

This exact question has been addressed on the FAQ (earlier thread), so I know the correct answer with certainty.

The Axis have to control 8 cities or more (or 6 for Pacific) CONTINUOUSLY for an entire round of play.

Say Italy takes over London for the Axis 8th city on I10.  The Axis will win on I11 if the Allies never take (or re-take) a European victory city at any time between I10 and I11.  If at any time between I10 and I11 the Axis lose a city and dip below 8, the clock has to start all over again at such time as the Axis re-claim an 8th city.  If the Axis get 9 or more cities, they can lose a city and still win on I11, as long as they never dip below 8 at any time.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m